Renaissance Wax

I have used the Renaissance Wax for several years on every steel tool I have from mega expensive custom knives through straight razors to garden secateurs not a spot of rust anywhere, also I have hardly made a dent in the tub as a little goes a long way.

You seem to have lots of experience with this wax. I hope I don’t ask too many questions - thanks. :)

I have never used this wax but wonder, if you put it on for example, a vintage double edge or single edge type razor, would you have/need to buff it, or does it go on easy and just dry? Can I put it on too thick?

If I put the razor away for a few months storage in a velvet lined leather case or a cardboard box will it stain or interact do you think?

If I suddenly want to pull it out and use it do I need to clean it off? Can I clean it off? Would I need to recoat after using it?

And last thanks, since you have done tools and general metal items with it, if there is some rust, corrosion, or the green verdigris that you can’t totally eliminate, have you seen it grow/simmer under the wax? Or does it just kill the problem?

Sorry For so many! Thanks

Last edited:
I've been toying with doing the same with my brass Charcoal Goods L2...

AFAIK the plating is just a few microns thick and it should be even on all surfaces, so this should be academic, but I'm curious if any of the tolerances have altered?
Sorry Sean, I've just seen this.

There was no noticeable difference in performance. I think you'll be fine. PM me if you want them details of the chap who did it for me.

You seem to have lots of experience with this wax. I hope I don’t ask too many questions - thanks. :)

I have never used this wax but wonder, if you put it on for example, a vintage double edge or single edge type razor, would you have/need to buff it, or does it go on easy and just dry? Can I put it on too thick?

If I put the razor away for a few months storage in a velvet lined leather case or a cardboard box will it stain or interact do you think?

If I suddenly want to pull it out and use it do I need to clean it off? Can I clean it off? Would I need to recoat after using it?

And last thanks, since you have done tools and general metal items with it, if there is some rust, corrosion, or the green verdigris that you can’t totally eliminate, have you seen it grow/simmer under the wax? Or does it just kill the problem?

Sorry For so many! Thanks
Thats what I get for asking too many questions. Nada. Oh well, its a big internet.

I am no restoration expert, I know a little about paint on cars and restoring celluloid, hard rubber and casein plus polishing aluminium.

One of the elementary mistakes that could be made is understanding the purpose and especially the difference between a wax and a polish. Two products that have a different purpose in life, not helped by the two words being possibly used as nouns and verbs and advertisers of domestic products who call their products Wax Polish.

Back
Top Bottom