Recommendation for a 'small' smartphone...

Herself uses a Samsung Galaxy S2 which must be 3-4 years old and it's the biz... I use the S3 and there's sweet FA difference really.

If you want an old phone - have a look at the Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray.

It's not very powerful, but a great size and great screen resolution.

jb74 said:
Herself uses a Samsung Galaxy S2 which must be 3-4 years old and it's the biz... I use the S3 and there's sweet FA difference really.

Again, that's quite 'big' (125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm), the Nokia 700 I've been looking at is only 110 x 50.7 x 9.7 mm....

Yes, I know the size isn't what you want. I was merely addressing the point your raised about 3-4 year old phones.

Fact is, almost nothing has changed when it comes to the fundamental function of phones over the past 4 years. I'd be happy to use a 4 year old phone like the S2 for example.

Re: RE: Recommendation for a 'small' smartphone...

jb74 said:
Yes, I know the size isn't what you want. I was merely addressing the point your raised about 3-4 year old phones.

Fact is, almost nothing has changed when it comes to the fundamental function of phones over the past 4 years. I'd be happy to use a 4 year old phone like the S2 for example.
Just to add to this it's also unlikely you will find a smart phone with battery life longer than 48hrs.

Nishy said:
Just to add to this it's also unlikely you will find a smart phone with battery life longer than 48hrs.

Whilst we're on this, does anyone know why the manufacture figures are so incredibly inflated? For example, the old Nokia 700 is quoted at 460 hours standby (18days!!), we all know that a pile of do dos, but how do they get away with it? Car manufactures also inflate their MPG figures, but not to that degree - that would be like them saying you'll get 150mpg when you know, 30mpg is more likely!

Brand new phones very little constant data updates due to having set factory settings. They would not be legally allowed to manipulate figures as such but optimum conditions must be used, beyond 'natural' consumer use. Car mileage is dependent on so many things it's not worth arguing about.

jim3rg said:
One thing you may want to watch out for in older smart phones is if they have been rooted.

jim

OK Jim, you got my attention LOL What the hell is 'rooted', is it painful, and is there a cure?

lol
Some folk try to put custom operating systems on their smartphones. sometimes they can cause problems like battery drain etc if they dont know what they are doing.

There is a way of telling if its been rooted but cant remember how.

Jim

jim3rg said:
lol
Some folk try to put custom operating systems on their smartphones. sometimes they can cause problems like battery drain etc if they dont know what they are doing.

There is a way of telling if its been rooted but cant remember how.

Jim

Any 'dumb' phone I've had always has an option in the settings to 'restore to factory default', do smart phones offer the same option?

yep but if its a custom operating system, factory reset dosent always work.

Its been a wee while since I had one of these, so things may have changed now.

I have a moto e and it's fantastic for my needs. Fast, great display, responsive touch screen. Camera and storage space pretty terrible but I already had a 32gb micro SD card in it and don't take many photos.
The moto E is supposed to be excellent but it's double the price.

And easily a full day on battery without dimming the display etc. You could even squeeze two days out of it if you're just checking the screen occasionally and mainly have it on standby just in case

Back
Top Bottom