Recommendation for a 'small' smartphone...

I'm on the look out for a SMALL smartphone.

I still have never owned/used a smartphone before, but my recent change in SIM only contract has thrown me in 250MB/month, so I thought I might look into using that allowance. I'm not a kid, so downloading crap is not on the agenda. I'll probably just be surfing a bit whilst sitting in shopping centers waiting for SWMBO to emerge from her shopping exploits.

I need, nor want nothing cutting edge, and the size of current smartphones are a joke, I've no intention of squeezing a laptop in my pocket!

I've been looking at the Nokia N700, and N8. Yes, they're old & discontinued, but like I said, they more than fulfill my tech requirements. They also at around 110mm tall will fit in a pocket with ease. Anyone any other suggestions I should have a look at? Budget is about £80. I like Nokia because of the ease of transferring all my contacts/calendar/messages etc onto a new phone, but if anyone can persuade me that I can easily transfer over to other brands too, the worlds my oyster LOL Oh, I hate 'Apple' so any suggestions of an iPhone 4 will be ignored :)

Perhaps if the Nokia has an sd card slot you can just transfer the card otherwise it's a dark room for several hours im afraid. Transfer through cloud storage is another option but usually only with high tech phones

Nishy said:
Perhaps if the Nokia has an sd card slot you can just transfer the card otherwise it's a dark room for several hours im afraid. Transfer through cloud storage is another option but usually only with high tech phones

'old' style Nokia phones store contacts in the RAM of the phone, not on the micro SD card, and there is no way of transferring that info over. The SIM won't accept the full phone contact info, and truncates much information. That's why I was drawn to a Nokia smartphone, because they all have a neat feature of being able to sync all the info in moments using a built in app via bluetooth... Cloud storage is a non starter as the 'dumb' phone doesn't know a cloud exists! :)

MrK1 said:
Which model of Nokia do you currently have?

It's a Nokia 6600i slide...

Nishy said:
Bluetooth should work also if on an android platform the app should be universal?

I believe it to be a dedicated Nokia application, from Nokia to Nokia... It's under 'sync & backup'. The 'old' phone (pictured) does not run on Android software.

images

Download Nokia PC Suite:
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/nokia-pc-suite-compatibility/

You can use it to sync your Nokia to your PC.

Follow this guide to transfer the data onto your Android:
http://www.android-file-transfer.com/tutorials/transfer-contacts-from-nokia-to-android-phone-tablet/

(I have a Samsung S4 Mini available if you are interested)

joe mcclaine said:
Something by Motorola, perhaps?

You might be able to pick up a Moto E for under £100.

I still use my trusty monochrome Nokia 1100, but the Moto G is on my radar.

Man that's a huge phone! 124.8 x 64.8 x 12.3 mm :)

Up till I got my current Nokia slide, I used my trusty Nokia 6310i - brilliant phone, battery lasts 2 weeks between charges!

MrK1 said:
Download Nokia PC Suite:
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/nokia-pc-suite-compatibility/

You can use it to sync your Nokia to your PC.

Follow this guide to transfer the data onto your Android:
http://www.android-file-transfer.com/tutorials/transfer-contacts-from-nokia-to-android-phone-tablet/

(I have a Samsung S4 Mini available if you are interested)

That's a great link, thank you! I already have backup'd all to Nokia Suite, but never realised I could transfer the info to other brands. I'm afraid the Samsung 'footprint' you have is a little big for my taste, 124.6 x 61.3 x 8.9 mm.

joe mcclaine said:

Vinny, I've had the Moto G for three weeks now and it is excellent. I haven't had experience of many other smartphones but I like it better than the iPhone that Mrs PC has.

(sorry to crash thread)

Pig Cat said:
joe mcclaine said:

Vinny, I've had the Moto G for three weeks now and it is excellent. I haven't had experience of many other smartphones but I like it better than the iPhone that Mrs PC has.

(sorry to crash thread)

Just had a look at that 'Moto', it too is a big sucker - 129.9 x 65.9 x 11.6 mm I think I've reconciled myself to a 110mm maximum! And they say, size isn't everything LOL

Budget is about £80.

Just small? Or small and cheap? Or small, cheap and un-locked?

We have one of these (Vodafone Smart 4 Mini) for the young lad to pop in his pocket when we go out, in case of emergency and the like. It was locked to Vodafone but they gave me the unlock code -

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-4-mini-pay-as-you-go-black

Small, cheap and does all the basic stuff. No thrills, pretty crap screen and camera.. but that's what you get for €60.

BTW. He's 11 and can fit this in his pocket...

Before my current S4 mini, I had vodafone smart mini 3 which is a good wee basic smartphone. I suppose it depends on who your carrier is.
Jim
I think I paid £50

jb74 said:
Budget is about £80.

Just small? Or small and cheap? Or small, cheap and un-locked?

Small, cheap and does all the basic stuff. No thrills, pretty crap screen and camera.. but that's what you get for €60.

You raise a good point - Is a new £50 phone better than a 3/4 year old £250 phone now selling for the same price? I can only draw an analogy to cars. I would much prefer a 5 year old 6 series BMW that cost £6000 (original price £45,000), rather than a new £6000 Dacia Sandero. So I guess I would prefer an older higher quality phone, that's been pre loved!

Anyway, will pop into a Vodafone store tomorrow and have a look... :)

Back
Top Bottom