Question about Simpson Super Badger Two Band hair.

Gents:
I have been a little bit disappointed with the two Simpson brushes that I got lately : a Duke 3 in best badger and a Berkeley in best badger too.
The Berkeley was nicely pack for its small knot (around 19,5 mm) with a loft of 45mm,but I did find it really soft and floppy and even scratchy.The Duke 3 was really densely packed and its loft was 50mm,so I was expecting more backbone that it wasnt there unfortunately.To be honest,I was expecting much more backbone from those two brushes thinking that the hair grade that Simpson uses as best badger would offer me that.
Anyway,I now wanna know if I should have bought first a brush with the Super Badger Two band,since I felt in love with the Morris and Forndran blonde badger brush that I have (I have another on my way) and also with the New Forest Chunky two band cuz of the firm backbone that those two brushes provide (the M&F its much firmer) and the super soft tips that both have.Its the Super Badger Two Band hair similar in backbone and softness of tips to the M&F or the NF brush?
Thanks!

I have a Simpsons Super Badger PJ2 Two Band that sits alongside my New Forest 2201. None of my visitors can tell the difference between the hair in the two brushes. But each batch of hair can be different. My SImfix Grosvenor LE Two Band is not quite as soft in the tips.

Yes,my good friend ; as we have discussed via pm,I know that theres not two batches of badger hair identical.However,Im sure that there are some basic characteristics,like backbone,softness of tips,how it blooms and so on but reading you and other people,it seems like the tips arent as soft as the M&F or your NF brushes super badger two band.
I must say that your NW 2201 its one of the best shaving brushes that I own,but the Chunky its getting really close to my top five shaving brushes.

I'd say the tips on my Simpons 2 bands are generally softer and a little finer than the M&F but each batch is different.

It is hard to say if you should have went for the 2B version, but I think the answer to your question is yes you probably should have. If you were looking for a similar backbone like M&F and NF brushes then in general the 2B Simpsons are very close (in my experience). Some of the Simpsons 2B brushes I have feel softer at the tips than others but they all have good backbone to them.

The only Simpsons Best I have is the Wee Scott so it is hard for me to compare the grades.

I have a Duke#2, I found the best hair grade to be soft with moderate backbone.

I have a Chubby#2 super 3 band. This hair grade is very good : Extremely dense (actually as dense as possible, one could hardly add more hairs in the knot). I would not mention backbone as the loft seems almost rigid at start, now after a while only the tips seem to have gain some flexibility. This gives a very interesting behavior to the brush, it has a great massage power and is a major lather hog (which is no problem as long as you stick with face lathering).

I have a chubby#1 two band super. I have found this hair grade to be very soft, feeling and looking at the tip like a silver tip. Combined with the chubby design a very nice brush for a caressing face lathering with maximum backbone : Contrarily to the the super 3 band, the loft has a very pointy bulb shape. So the longest hairs at the top can really bend and are efficiently supported by the smaller ones on the side. The brush feels small on the face than one would expect considering the knot size (a chubby#2 might be very comfortable and not that big I guess). Same remark as for the Chubby super (lather hog face lather).

Great review of the differing characteristics there Cyril.

cyril said:
I have a Duke#2, I found the best hair grade to be soft with moderate backbone.

I have a Chubby#2 super 3 band. This hair grade is very good : Extremely dense (actually as dense as possible, one could hardly add more hairs in the knot). I would not mention backbone as the loft seems almost rigid at start, now after a while only the tips seem to have gain some flexibility. This gives a very interesting behavior to the brush, it has a great massage power and is a major lather hog (which is no problem as long as you stick with face lathering).

I have a chubby#1 two band super. I have found this hair grade to be very soft, feeling and looking at the tip like a silver tip. Combined with the chubby design a very nice brush for a caressing face lathering with maximum backbone : Contrarily to the the super 3 band, the loft has a very pointy bulb shape. So the longest hairs at the top can really bend and are efficiently supported by the smaller ones on the side. The brush feels small on the face than one would expect considering the knot size (a chubby#2 might be very comfortable and not that big I guess). Same remark as for the Chubby super (lather hog face lather).

I have an nf tubby 1, never tried a simpsons or m&f but i do love the brush.

I do have a best shavemac and the tubby kicks it's arse :lol:

Well,I was able to buy one of the SIMFIX super badger hair two band that Simpson made for bullgooseshaving.net so I finally,I will be able to try that kind of hair used by Simpson.After that Im sure Ill get the Chubby 1 or 2 in best badger.

Teiste said:
Well,I was able to buy one of the SIMFIX super badger hair two band that Simpson made for bullgooseshaving.net so I finally,I will be able to try that kind of hair used by Simpson.After that Im sure Ill get the Chubby 1 or 2 in best badger.

I think the Chubby 2 is a fantastic brush, you wont be dissapointed.

Teiste said:

Lucky you, Teiste! :D
That is a very handsome brush. If it happens that you don't like it, just let me know, I'll be interested! ;)

Well,I have been using the Super Badger two band hair from Simpson and Im not really impress with it.It has a really good firm backbone but the tips arent as soft as the Morris and Forndran blonde badger brushes....actually,they quiet prickly,more than any of my two band badger hair from other brands (even the shavemac set at 48mm with a 18mm knot...)I dont wanna be perceived as a Simpson basher,but so far,the 3 brushes tthat I have tried from that brand (the Berkeley in best,the Duke 3 in best and the limited edtion in super badger two band made for bullgooseshaving) have been a little bit disappointing for me.
Next stop Chubby 1 or 2 in best badger.

[quote="Teiste"....actually,they quiet prickly,more than any of my two band badger hair from other brands...[/quote]
I'm surprised to hear that... I have the Chubby 2 in 2B Super and also a Shavemac D01 26mm knot in 2B Super as well.
While the Shavemac is very soft, the Chubby's softness is beyond anything one may imagine...

I suppose no two brushes are alike, and as I have never used a M&F I have yet to test more to be concrete on this one.
An additional option for softness of course is that new Vie-Long Silvertip with short loft (53mm) that reportedly is very good as well...

Two band hairs seem to be very different from brand to brand and for a particular brand from batch to batch.

May be after a while the Grosvenor may break in and feel softer (it was the case for my Chubby#1). I wonder though if this Vulfix/Sipson hybrid is really a Simpson brush as it is commonly stated that Vulfix branded brushes use less of a badger hair weight per brush (i.e. did they made the loft the Vulfix way or the Simpson way ?).

Regarding your next stop : Consider try a Chubby super. I was very happy to discover this grade : I have many times read that it was too much money for extra softness, a statement I don't understand.
First, this grade seems to imply more hairs hence a denser loft. Second, best hairs are softer, the super is slightly more pricky definitely not on the soft side. Combined with with the ultra density of the chubby loft, it makes for an almost unique brush : A loft that is almost compact and that almost not bend. Only the tips gains some flexibility once broken in. It really lift the whiskers !
Regarding the Chubby in best, I am a little reluctant : If it is as soft as my Duke#2, less dense than the one I own and have a slightly longer loft than the average, it would make for a brush I am not sure to like. I think it is that kind of combination that made several reviewers mentioning their chubby in best as floppy.

Besides, thanks for mentioning the Caravela I have just ordered mine.

Konstantinos and Cyril : thanks for your answers,gentlemen.
Cyril : I will consider a Chubby in super badger,however I would have to raise more funds for it and wait a little bit longer before I get one.
The SIMFIX that I have its well packed,almost like the 2 M&F that I have a a little bit less than the Vie Long/Semogue two badger hair brushes.
BTW: the Caravela its gonna surprise to more than one,and it seems that you and Konstantinos have ordered one,so Ill wait to read your comments about it.

Back
Top Bottom