Predictions for "must say" word for 2016

When did it become acceptable to spell foetus as fetus? I'm aware the latter is the accepted American way, but I've come across it several times in UK papers recently.

" Territorial Imperative " had a period of great favour at briefings during the 1990s at our work. Purloined, I believe, from a Joseph Wambaugh novel in which he used it as satire.

JohnnyO. o/

We play Bulls*#t bingo in manager meetings, you all write down 3 buzz phrases and the first to get them all wins

I work for an American owned company the company breif and newspapers are full of buzzwords and not much else
It's called "corporate speak", and it's the hallmark of American managers with MBAs from prestigious business schools. It's much like the way British coal mining was "downsized" because of "external paradigm pressures".

I do often wonder at what part of your way up the corporate ladder do you start to feel the need to make yourself sound like a cock. Do they not realise?

"Leverage" is a particular bete noire of mine that shows up a lot in the tech press. Just write "use" you cockwomble.

'Process' is a word the Yanks like to slap on everything, but in most cases it's redundant. Another Americanism that drives me crazy is pronouncing the word 'primer' as 'primmer'. Also, referring to English as spoken and written in England as British English is ludicrous; it's English and all other forms thereof are derivatives; thus it's quite acceptable to refer to Canadian English, American English, Australian English, etc.

'Process' is a word the Yanks like to slap on everything, but in most cases it's redundant. Another Americanism that drives me crazy is pronouncing the word 'primer' as 'primmer'. Also, referring to English as spoken and written in England as British English is ludicrous; it's English and all other forms thereof are derivatives; thus it's quite acceptable to refer to Canadian English, American English, Australian English, etc.
We do differentiate between American English and British English. American English is ever-evolving or dynamic, whereas British English is static, hasn't changed in 500 years. And just to educate, the pronunciation "primmer" is New England dialect for the school books used in the early 18th century. It was a mixture of homilies, Biblical stories, and 3 R's.

Back
Top Bottom