Possibly a stupid question ..

I don't know if this answers your question but I never found a blade that was amazing on one setting and rubbish on another.
Personally I found that whether a blade was good or bad, it kept its characteristics throughout the range of an adjustable. Of course with more and less bite.

I don't know if this answers your question but I never found a blade that was amazing on one setting and rubbish on another.
Personally I found that whether a blade was good or bad, it kept its characteristics throughout the range of an adjustable. Of course with more and less bite.
Thank you that’s much better, I like that answer so it’s the one I’ll believe, like all things in life!

Razor & blade combination is only part of it.
As long as your prep/lather and technique is spot on, you could get a decent, comfortable shave with a Bowie knife.
The 6C on plate 3 is capable of taking down a week's growth regardless of which blade I use.
It's not a written law that you MUST use every available blade on the market like a guinea pig in a lab. Life is too short for that palavah.
load a GSB/Silver Blue and get the job done.
Funnily enough I was coming to the same conclusion with 38c, regardless of blade, other than soreness, the outcome of any of my ‘final 12’ were too close to call.

Its going to be irritation (platinum seem way worse for some reason) x sharpness vs costs and availability that win out and I will buy in bulk as you suggest. GSB, Rubie, Astra Blue and Permasharp look like the final 4 with Feather and Bic on the benches ..

Reactions: ATG
Wet shaving forums are a doubled edged sword and right now OP you have overloaded yourself with info. Don't buy anything else for now. Quit fiddle farting around with multiple razors and blades and concentrate on one set until you get a good technique down. Watch some Youtube videos of some seasoned shavers and pay attention. It's patently obvious that you are trying to use "hardware" to solve what is a "softwear" problem. No amount of money spent on tackle will make you a good fisherman until you first learn how to fish.

I am not trying to ""bust your balls", but the forum archives are replete with men such as yourself who tried to become an "ace in a day" and it simply isn't done. Until you master prep & technique any money spent is merely wasted as the razor, soap & blade will not matter.

Wet shaving forums are a doubled edged sword and right now OP you have overloaded yourself with info. Don't buy anything else for now. Quit fiddle farting around with multiple razors and blades and concentrate on one set until you get a good technique down. Watch some Youtube videos of some seasoned shavers and pay attention. It's patently obvious that you are trying to use "hardware" to solve what is a "softwear" problem. No amount of money spent on tackle will make you a good fisherman until you first learn how to fish.

I am not trying to ""bust your balls", but the forum archives are replete with men such as yourself who tried to become an "ace in a day" and it simply isn't done. Until you master prep & technique any money spent is merely wasted as the razor, soap & blade will not matter.
Thanks! To be honest I don’t have that much stuff really, honestly… As above techniques is consistent such that results with ⅞ different blades are indistinguishable (some are just more comfortable than others) however still not as close as I’d like hence addition of 6c. My question stemmed from a desire to reduce variables as you will see, not increase them…

Ditto this for me

Wet shaving forums are a doubled edged sword
Ooh, that's a bit DEist! Some might say it's a single edged artistic feathery Gem sword, or a straight sword. I'm Brian and so's my wife. Follow the gourd. Or the sandal. Or something.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get my cloak.

To be honest I lose my way with the variables sometimes. I know the blades I like, and of my adjustable razors I know the settings that suit me. I can't figure out which blades are best in which razors because I'm never sure if my prep or lather is identical, or the growth, or my memory that I'm comparing it with for that matter. I have no real aim other than to experience different setups, and try to get the best from each. Ideally I want to get good enough at honing to just use straight razors and be happy, but until I retire that's a dream, when DE and SE are so easy by comparison.

Last edited:
Ooh, that's a bit DEist! Some might say it's a single edged artistic feathery Gem sword, or a straight sword. I'm Brian and so's my wife. Follow the gourd. Or the sandal. Or something.

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get my cloak...

JipwPZ4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom