POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM

Based upon positive reviews, I picked up some Polsilver SI to try out as a change from my usual blade preference of Astra SP or Gillette Yellows.

I must say that following my first shave using a Polsilver this morning, I am impressed with the comfortable, smooth, and close shave from this blade used with:

Edwin Jagger 89L
Proraso Green pre-shave
Proraso Green shave cream
Semogue 830 (only second shave with this brush - jury still out ...)
Proraso A/S lotion
Arko Cool A/S balm

I generally get 3 to 4 shaves per blade from my other blades. I am interested to see how many shaves I get from the Polsilvers.

I personally paid (incl. p&p): Astra SP blades circa £8.00/100, Gillette Yellows £14/100, Wilkinson Black £10.80/100, Polsilver SI £13.00/100. Astras are definitely great value.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I used Astra SP for a couple of years and was quite happy with the performance but then I saw a recommendation on this forum for the Polsilver SI and bought a few to try. I find them a far superior blade to the Astra as well as lasting a little longer. I change the blade after about five shaves but could push it to a full week as they stay sharp.

These are my go to blade and the blade I judge all other blades by.

Think I've come across 1 'duff' blade in about 200 of them and they are good in any razor I have tried them in, although some seem slightly better than the others.

I didn't like this blade when used in the EJ but it is the dog's egg muffins in a Gillette slim twist. I use the Super Iridium at the moment which I think is the old name for the Polsilver (i might be wrong) and so far 7 shaves and going well so these are good survivers as well.

That I shall have to try. I recently got hold of a Slim Twist. I suspect that the SI/Polsilver blades (like you I assume they're the same blades) don't agree with me. I tried them in the DE89 and Parker 26C and they gave me a sore face.

Shemen Zait said:
I didn't like this blade when used in the EJ but it is the dog's egg muffins in a Gillette slim twist. I use the Super Iridium at the moment which I think is the old name for the Polsilver (i might be wrong) and so far 7 shaves and going well so these are good survivers as well.

I just can't get on with polsilvers, I find them rough, inefficient and they tear me to ribbons. I'd rather use a rusty derby...

However, blades are the most subjective aspect of de shaving. And polsilvers are just not for me. And because most people highly rate them I persisted through 5 of them.

Blades, the ultimate in YMMV!

BigBoar said:
I just can't get on with polsilvers, I find them rough, inefficient and they tear me to ribbons. I'd rather use a rusty derby...

However, blades are the most subjective aspect of de shaving. And polsilvers are just not for me. And because most people highly rate them I persisted through 5 of them.

Blades, the ultimate in YMMV!

I'll give polsilvers a try next.... They have to be better than a "Rusty Derby" lol
Have just bought some Sputnik's, not tried them yet but have one loaded in my Slim Boy. Favourites so far are feather and perma sharp.

That's interesting. I did have a little redness after the shave, but it disappeared after a few minutes following a splash of A/S and some moisturiser. I'll try switching the same Polsilver blade into my Merkur Progress for tomorrow's shave to compare against the EJ 81
stellablade said:
That I shall have to try. I recently got hold of a Slim Twist. I suspect that the SI/Polsilver blades (like you I assume they're the same blades) don't agree with me. I tried them in the DE89 and Parker 26C and they gave me a sore face.

Shemen Zait said:

Well i am 99% a straight razor user these days. But for those days I pick up a DE. Polsilver SI are my go to blades. Every one of my friends that I gifted a box of them to now use them as their main blades

zygalski said:
Very smooth, very sharp, great value on Ebay from GemstoneShaving (£13 for 100 delivered) & last 5 x 3-pass shaves easily. What more can I say?

Fully agree that GemstoneShaving is a great value seller, especially for bundled orders.

I doubt it. Just a case of YMMV. Plenty of people in other forums report that Polsilvers are rough. No different to any other blade then! I've found them quite awful so far but I'll try them in the Slim Twist as suggested above. If it's still like shaving with a rusty butter knife I'll be selling them on here :)

BigBoar said:
Arrrgghhh! Making me think I had a box of fakes/duds.

Ah the old Bocter & Hamble from Hurry...........I remember them........in fact I think they are lurking in the back of a cupboard somewhere. The original Polsilvers in the brown & gold box are one of my go to blades, nice smooth long lasting blade.

BigBoar said:
Arrrgghhh! Making me think I had a box of fakes/duds.

Not just you - I too found them rough and prone to biting from time to time. I'm going to load one up after today's shave and see if the experience is the same again.

Back
Top Bottom