Please chip in your 2 penneth worth !!

Hi

Any advice on this on.

Have been DE shaving for about 1 year and been using an EJ D89 very happily although have always found the handle a little slippy when wet which culminated last week in it falling onto the bathroom floor and breaking the head clean off.

Have since been shaving with disposable cartridge razors whilst contemplating my next purchase which is where my question lies.

Have been looking at the Muhle R89 as the handle looks a bit safer but picking up info on the net that this is more decorative that practical or looking at the Merkur 34C or 38C.

Would like to purchase from Gentleman's Shop in Hungerford as localish for me but they do not stock the Muhle and currently out of the 34C.

Sorry for the long winded post but any comments welcome.

Vince :roll:

Until I discovered single edge razors last year the Muehle R89 would have been my personal choice. The cross hatching on the grip worked fine for me. If you either don't mind or positively like a heavyweight razor then the Merkurs truly are the tank division of DE razors imo. Although, if I was investing in one I'd go for the slant and have a razor which will probably outlast not only your own generation but also your childrens' & quite possibly your grandchildrens' !

If you like the idea of a lighter piece of kit then a Gillette Slim is a very nice piece of kit & a decent specimen shouldn't break the bank.

Enjoy considering your options & plse get back to us when you've finally scratched that itch (temporarily at least).

JohnnyO. \ ;)

Try the EJ Georgian - it is not cheap but the grip and balance is superb. Also try the Muhle R41 open comb - this is a v gentle easy shave but it outclasses everything else on the neck (where the hairs grow flat to the skin).

My 2ps ...

Well the Merkur 34c has good enough grip for me but I have to admit my Gillette slim adjustable has wonderful grip and is my everyday razor.

the vintage slim has better grip for me and it is for my face a mild shaver. the 34c depending on what blade is more aggressive for my face.

Up to you really my friend both the 34c or a vintage gillette would both serve you well.

Note the 34c is available online on some UK stockists.

I can't comment on the 38c I am afriad.

I have never used a Merkur, Mühle or Edwin Jagger razor - vintage Gillettes, vintage Wilkinson Sword all the way for me. No slippy handles on any of them and I don't feel like I've missed anything at all.

Oh and "penneth" is how one would say "pennyworth" so you have a tautological subject :lol: :ugeek:

You were happy with the EJ, so I'd be tempted to opt for something with a Mühle head and a better handle/more grippy handle.

Ian

Having used both the 34 & the slant I just found that the slant gave a better shave for me. I'm not sure that I entirely buy into the theory that the slanted blade slices rather than "chops" the bristles, however the slant certainly isn't the fearsome beast which I've read some describe it as on other forums. It's just used as a conventional DE would be & affords a nice clean shave.

If you're wanting to try one out Pm me your address & I'll send you down my old one to try out for a few weeks on extended loan if you wish.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Back
Top Bottom