Pils 101NE Unboxing

I seriously can't remember the last time I bought a new razor.
Most razors I've ever bought has been quite a few decades old with tattered boxes, if any.
The closest to new was my recent Tradere OC razor but even that would be considered NOS.

So, when the mailman dropped off this package from Belgium today I must admit I was childishly excited and decided to document the opening of it. So apologies for a rather silly post but here it goes :D

Opening up the shipping box reveals a very well protected content.
Good it - it ain't broke.
6j0xlt.jpg

The razor was bought from the stock at 1Barber in Belgium, so it came wrapped in their store's gift/product wrapping. Like a fat kid with a Snickers bar in his hand that wrapper was gone in seconds.
avpw7r.jpg

(On a side-note, this is the interior of the 1Barber shop in Belgium)
w7d5if.jpg

Wrapper gone. Cardboard box revealed.
2ryms5u.jpg

"Is that a razor in your box...or are you just happy to see me?"
2czx98k.jpg

And there it finally is - The Pils 101NE, satin, matte finish all stainless steel DE razor.
f19smp.jpg

Right away when picking it up, I'm struck by the weight and finish. This is a substantial razor - both in looks and weight. Wow. It reminded me of the Tradere right away.
1ibx4y.jpg

It's easy to see how it got it's nickname "Thor's Hammer"
2ch5qqg.jpg

A side-by-side comparison to the Tradere OC
2pop1ma.jpg

Head-to-head:
330qx3b.jpg

That's it.

A post just as a result from how thrilled I was to received it :)

I believe next week will be a Pils week. All week.

I had a brushed finish Pils, found it head heavy but once used to the different balance point (further up the handle) it mows stubble like it wasn't there. My sweet favourite combination was with a Personna blade and tabac soap.

Congrats on your new acquisition.

I have one on the way, and I'll be interested to hear how you get on with yours.

As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I've had one of these in mind for a long while.

Great looking razor and such a classic design the Pils and the Feather AS D2 although completely different are in my view the two most beautiful looking and the best crafted of all DE razors.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Great looking razor and such a classic design the Pils and the Feather AS D2 although completely different are in my view the two most beautiful looking and the best crafted of all DE razors.

I would get a Feather if they stopped printing on their razor head.
I am fully aware of how shallow that sounds but it's such a turn off for me :)

Ferrum said:
I have one on the way, and I'll be interested to hear how you get on with yours.

As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I've had one of these in mind for a long while.

It'll be my razor-of-the-week starting Monday so rather excited to give it a spin :)

Darkbulb said:
pugh-the-special-one said:

I would get a Feather if they stopped printing on their razor head.
I am fully aware of how shallow that sounds but it's such a turn off for me :)

Ferrum said:

It'll be my razor-of-the-week starting Monday so rather excited to give it a spin :)

Mine's arrived. Given that they're supposed to be hard to get hold of, I bought it ex-stock from an English shaving supplies company yesterday, and the postman delivered it this morning.

I'm alternating DEs with my B2 Mongoose, so I'll also be starting the Pils off on Monday.

Loading is slightly different (locate blade on baseplate not cap) but no more fiddley than an ATT or Ikon slant. I like razors which cover the tabs, like this, Standard and Ikons.

If, as I do, you switch between DE and SE razors all the time, the flat blade isn't anything to get excited about. It's a "vocal" razor, and easy to hear and feel when it's working right. The supposed difficulties in using it are perhaps overstated, and the best angle quickly becomes both obvious and instinctive. The weighting and balance are, to me, exactly right. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference that the weight is in the head and not the handle.

With a new Polsilver and plenty of Wickhams lather, it's a 2-pass clean shave for me. My current modern DE paradigm for a perfect shave is the Standard, or any ATT, and this is close. I should add that I normally shave daily, and can't really comment on the suitability of this or any other razor for scything through days of stubble.

One way or another, the Pils contradicts much of the received wisdom on razors (balance, blade orientation) but nonetheless works. It is a masterpiece of design, manufacture and function and, although expensive (but not more so than an ATT head and handle), well worth it.

I'm glad I sprung for it.

Back
Top Bottom