Pies

Kevin said:
I'm impressed that you took the time to make the pastry, I usually use the stuff you buy in the cool counter at the supermarket. Still your pie top looks the business, better than mine efforts.

For shortcrust, I'm impressed you live so close to a supermarket to waste the effort in going there :)

Puff pastry I almost always buy - everything else I make.

Cracking Pork Pies from a butcher just a few miles from me.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/shop/product-category/scottish-pork/pork-specialities/

Plus he can send them to you.

hunnymonster said:
Kevin said:
I'm impressed that you took the time to make the pastry, I usually use the stuff you buy in the cool counter at the supermarket. Still your pie top looks the business, better than mine efforts.

For shortcrust, I'm impressed you live so close to a supermarket to waste the effort in going there :)

Puff pastry I almost always buy - everything else I make.

Puff pastry is what I use for my steak pies. If shortcrust is easy to make I will give it a go next time I'm in a pie making mood.

Kevin

antdad said:
Picking up two rabbits tomorrow, good idea.

I just picked up two rabbits as well. Spent 20 mins taking the backbone out of the saddle of one of them so I can stuff it with something and wrap it in parma ham. Not a pie though.

Re: RE: Pies

antdad said:
When you examine what you actually do to the fish; poach, cover in a cream sauce, potato and cheese, a fish pie is really a bit of a texture-less abomination isn't it?

Even the Scot's are bright enough to make a soup with their off cuts and leave it at that and cullen skink has traveled, fish pie never will.

I must admit this sums up my feelings on fish pie quite nicely, but I am aware this technically makes me an English traitor.

Now I have a decent kitchen again I must learn my mother's steak and kidney pie (no, not pudding, thick and crisp-topped suet pastry - very rustic).

cheese_dave said:
antdad said:
Picking up two rabbits tomorrow, good idea.

I just picked up two rabbits as well. Spent 20 mins taking the backbone out of the saddle of one of them so I can stuff it with something and wrap it in parma ham. Not a pie though.

Slowish braise for me with plenty of bay and wine for tomorrow, I might remove the meat and stick a crust on it if I can be bothered, not sure yet.

Here's one I prepared earlier :)

IMG_20110811_164411-2.jpg

Chicken and Mushroom

Back
Top Bottom