Pies

What's your favourite pie? I made this beauty last night. A recipe from the Pie Minister cookbook. It has sausagemeat, new potatoes plus caramelised apple and onion inside, and a little bit of cheese. I made the shortcrust pastry myself :icon_razz: but unfortunately used a pottery dish rather than a tin and the bottom went a bit soggy. Very nice nonetheless. Yum.

p1020358o.jpg

So go on then, let's not just have comments - how about recipes and ideas. And take some pics of your yummy creations!

The Pie Minister thing is overhyped in my simple taste opinion. There is nothing better than a good butcher's steak pie (other than two of them). For the ultimate in poncey pies a Chicken, Haggis & Peppercorn pie from Learmonth's in Jedburgh.

Obligatory gag when talking of pies (viewers south of Berwick might struggle): A guy goes into the butchers and says: "Can I have a mince round?" The butcher says: "Okay, but hurry up - we close in five minutes."

hunnymonster said:
The Pie Minister thing is overhyped in my simple taste opinion.

Not all the pies in the book are to my taste. I agree that the best pies are the classic simple-ones, but it's fun and interesting to try some of the wackier ones. The one we had last night was very tasty, though on balance a good sausage-meat pie with mashed potato on the side would have been even better.

I'm still rather chuffed with my pie crust, even though it wasn't perfect. I'll get it better next time...

Pig Cat said:
hunnymonster said:
The Pie Minister thing is overhyped in my simple taste opinion.

Not all the pies in the book are to my taste. I agree that the best pies are the classic simple-ones, but it's fun and interesting to try some of the wackier ones. The one we had last night was very tasty, though on balance a good sausage-meat pie with mashed potato on the side would have been even better.

I'm still rather chuffed with my pie crust, even though it wasn't perfect. I'll get it better next time...

Presumably, Adam, you have cool hands.:icon_razz:

At this time of year there's nowt like a game pie. I pop along to my butcher who has a decent selection of rabbit, pheasant, mallard, pigeon, partridge and venison (actually Waitrose stock a lot of this too, not sure about other supermarkets). I also pick up some bacon or lardons, cos game is lean and can be very dry if you're not careful.

With your chosen game, strip the meat from the bones, and pop the bones into a very hot oven to get them roasted and golden. Then drop the bones into a saucepan with your flavourings and aromatics; carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, parsley, juniper berries, thyme, rosemary, black peppercorns, maybe even star anise if you want to "Asian" it up a bit. Cover with water and bring to a simmer, then leave it for as many hours as you can, 2-4 hours is good. Don't boil it furiously as any fats released from the carcasses will be incorporated into your stock and make it bitter and not nice; you just want a slowly bubbling simmer.

When that's done, strain the liquid off and reserve it. Then add red wine and boil it fast to reduce it.

Now for the meats... cut into small, bite-sized pieces and fry (in a very little oil if you're dieting, like me) until very well browned. Scoop the meat out of your pan and do the same for the bacon (which you will have chopped fine). Scoop that out, then add a mirepoix (small cubes) of carrot, onion and celery. Fry until browned and softened, then sprinkle on a tablespoon of flour, cook for another few minutes, then put the meat back in, and slowly pour in the reduced stock you made.

Stir it all up and bring to a simmer, then cover and stick in a low oven (170C) for 2-3 hours. When you take it out, the liquid should have reduced and thickened, and the meat should be almost falling apart. Check for seasoning, then plop it into a pie dish and cover with a pastry of your choice (I'm on filo twists at the moment from the Hairy Dieters' book, but you can do puff pastry if you are already skinny). Stick it back in an oven at 180 for about 25 mins for the pastry to brown (brush puff pastry with egg-wash), then serve with greens.

I did a pie like this earlier this week, judged it by eye. No pics, sorry, but it was really delicious.

Just typing this up has made me hungry.

As luck would have it tomorrow is our Thanksgiving and my wife is getting ready to make "pies"!
[attachment=6051]
No our name isn't "Smith".
Thanks guys!☹

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353548027.937849.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353548027.937849.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 23
Then of course there is fish pie, which is always a labour of love; settling down to a comforting and creamy fish pie on a winter night is one of life's pleasures. There are lots of reicpes out there for fish pie, but I always treat it as a way of using up fish trimmings (which I keep in the freezer) and any leftover frozen prawns.

You want colour, texture and flavour in a fish pie, so I go for a mix of white fish (seriously, anything like cod, coley, haddock, John Dory, monkfish, just ANYTHING you've trimmed some ends of for a different meal), something orange like salmon or sea trout (though not all oily fish like tuna or mackerel will work), something with a bit of bite like prawns (or langoustines if you're feeling flush), and something smoked like cod or haddock (but not that artificially coloured crap).

Set some water on to simmer in one pan, and some milk on to simmer in another pan. Once simmering, add your white fish and salmon and prawns to the pan of water, and your smoked fish to the milk, then switch the heat off in both pans. Leave for 20 mins, then take all the fish out and leave to cool. RESERVE THE MILK! When cool, flake the fish into your pie dish.

Hard boil some eggs, chop them roughly and add to the fish.

Boil some potatoes at some point, then mash then up and add as much butter and cream as you dare, unless dieting, when you'll just add milk. Season with salt and white pepper.

Now it's onto the creamy sauce for the fish. Take that reserved milk, add some fish stock (you made fish stock out of the original fish bones, right? No? Well just add some of the water you poached the white fish and salmon in then), then boil and reduce it. You need to thicken this, and classically this would be done with a roux of butter and flour, but if you're dieting (like me), steep corn flour in water and then add that.

You need to simmer this liquid for like 40 mins to thicken and concentrate the flavours. I said it was a labour of love. After 40 mins stir in some grated cheddar or parmesan, then let it cool slightly before pouring over the egg and fish. Chop some parsley and sprinkle over the sauce and fish, then spread the mashed potatoes over the whole lot in a thin layer.

Bake in an oven at 180C for 30 mins so the potatoes brown, then serve with quickly boiled peas.

Lovely.

When you examine what you actually do to the fish; poach, cover in a cream sauce, potato and cheese, a fish pie is really a bit of a texture-less abomination isn't it?

Even the Scot's are bright enough to make a soup with their off cuts and leave it at that and cullen skink has traveled, fish pie never will.

antdad said:
When you examine what you actually do to the fish; poach, cover in a cream sauce, potato and cheese, a fish pie is really a bit of a texture-less abomination isn't it?

Well I suppose so, but you can crisp up the top of the potato under the grill. There is also texture from the prawns, and smooth gooiness from eggs not quite hard-boiled so the yolks are still a bit soft.

Pig Cat said:
What's your favourite pie? I made this beauty last night. A recipe from the Pie Minister cookbook. It has sausagemeat, new potatoes plus caramelised apple and onion inside, and a little bit of cheese. I made the shortcrust pastry myself :icon_razz: but unfortunately used a pottery dish rather than a tin and the bottom went a bit soggy. Very nice nonetheless. Yum.

p1020358o.jpg

So go on then, let's not just have comments - how about recipes and ideas. And take some pics of your yummy creations!
I'm impressed that you took the time to make the pastry, I usually use the stuff you buy in the cool counter at the supermarket. Still your pie top looks the business, better than mine efforts.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom