Closed Pass-a-round Alumnigoose

Second shave with the Alumigoose

Nanny's Silly Soap Zitrus Zinger Olive Oil Recipe
Alumigoose head
Feather ProGuard blade (2)
Gillette Tech 1972 aluminium handle (11.7g 72mm)
Indian Old Spice Fresh Spice ASL
Proraso Riparatore Styptic Gel

I found that the Mongoose could be weilded almost like a cartridge razor
Now there was a plan then. I put the Alumigoose head on one of the lightest handles I own - the handle from a 1972 aluminium Gillette Tech. Immediately the wide Alumigoose head feels less intimidating than it was on the big and heavy stainless steel handle yesterday.
For my first WTG pass I moved the Alumigoose head around my face rather quickly, just as I can do with a mild razor like the Tech. After the lather was gone I spotted the damage: half a dozen small weepers. So, a couple of minutes and some Proraso Riparatore later, I got on with the remaining passes, but this time I tried to be a bit more careful and show the blade some respect. No further incidents. Just as yesterday, my face is ultra smooth, but the alum block and ASL are clearly of the opinion that the reckless first pass was not a good idea. And I needed to apply a bit more styptic gel.
This is not a mild razor. No way. It can bite you and if you wield it like a cartridge razor it will.
I much preferred the shorter, lighter handle. It made the razor less intimidating and more nimble. I still wish the head was not as wide as it is. Next time I will try a different blade, same handle. Any recommendations? Feather Pro?
TBC...

Last edited:
Late afternoon update.
While out shopping at Waitrose with SWBMO she said:
SWMBO said:
What happened, dear? Your face looks a bit raw today.
Shortly afterwards she spotted a tube of Truefitt&Hill No.10 sensitive moisturiser at half price in the bargain basket and she decided that she would buy it for me, as my face obviously needed it. I could have mentioned to her that I already have the full range of Speick products plus several other ASBs, but I forgot. :D

So, no, the Alumigoose is not mild and I think I'll have a break from shaving tomorrow :p

Third shave with the Alumigoose

Well, not really. I put one of the Kamisori blades (what brand are they?) into the head, lathered up and carefully started shaving. After a few strokes with the lightest of touches the razor was still more aggressive than most and I started to think that today I didn't want a very close shave achieved by utmost concentration. I just wasn't in the mood. So I changed to my Schick Adjustable Injector on its most aggressive setting with Schick NOS Twin blades (8) and had a wonderfully close, yet relaxing shave.
I have come to the conclusion that the Alumigoose is not for me. I don't like it. Too aggressive, too much work and the head is too wide.
@ajc347, please PM me your address and I'll pass the razor on to you early next week.

Interesting to read through all your experiences. I've been using an alumigoose since it came out. Mine has the aluminium handle as well as the head, which might make a difference. I also can't cope with the Feather Pro blades, but strangely I get on very well with the Feather Pro Super blades.

As of today, I have a stainless Mongoose too, and I can't really tell any difference in the final results compared with the alumigoose. It seems like the same shave to me.

Interesting to read through all your experiences. I've been using an alumigoose since it came out. Mine has the aluminium handle as well as the head, which might make a difference. I also can't cope with the Feather Pro blades, but strangely I get on very well with the Feather Pro Super blades.

As of today, I have a stainless Mongoose too, and I can't really tell any difference in the final results compared with the alumigoose. It seems like the same shave to me.
Interesting. Maybe there is something wrong with the pass around Alumigoose? o_O

At first I thought the alumigoose was more aggressive but I couldn't measure any differences and when I went back you my stainless one I found it very similar! So I really can't decide if it is more aggressive or not.

Even from the EU it still goes through customs inspection, it just doesn't attract any duty or VAT (it still might be a prohibited item and be destroyed or returned to sender)
Tracking showed 'on the way to Croydon mail centre' for five days, so that was past customs I suppose..
I know the Queen is getting on a bit now, but surely she must have some help dealing with Her Mail :p

Royal Mail tracking isn't worth the electrons wobbled by requesting details. Nine times out of ten it shows as being en route to the delivery office and I have it in my hand... Twice in the recent past its shown as arrived at Langley (not left or arrived anywhere else) and the postie has delivered it...

Compare & contrast USPS or Deutsche Post where if a gnat farts near your delivery, it's logged and the history viewable.

Back
Top Bottom