Overrated products.

Saw a review some where could have been here but it was saying how nice the stuff was
[/quote]

The only Lush review here I remember said it was rubbish as a shave cream, and could only be used as a decent moisturiser.

Good thread!

antdad said:
Boar brushes.

Badger brushes - everyone's quick to dismiss Boars but there's myriad of them that will suit just about any wetshaver.

Smogue - nice handles complete shit brushes. Overpriced might I add.
I've yet to find an Omega that disappoints. Then again they're inexpensive but quality above and beyond Smogue.

B&B - if you're not with the clique or kiss the mods arse you aren't cool
SRP - same as above

Really interesting thread this one. And long! Intrigues me that many find boar brushes poor. They are my go to for soaps, and ive found they lather up well. More slick than cushioned.

For me, its mama bears soaps. Only tried a sample, but it was poor. The Trumpers Skinfood. Pricey, and proraso is better!

I've got to go with Feather blades. People rave about them but I've never had a shave that was better than acceptable and that needed a lot of touch-ups. I know they're supposed to be ninja sharp but I get better results, faster, with a med prep.

And this is why this shaving malarky is so fascinating.

Feather blades - Best shave ever in my DE89.
Boar brushes - my omega I hated with a passion. Total waste of money. Stunk like a dead dog for weeks despite shampoo and conditioner every day. But I persevered and took it on holiday with me. I used it virtually everyday and half way through the holiday thought it wasn't too bad. I looked forward to my badger brush when I got home though.
Now I'm home I have used my favourite 2 badgers and neither are as good as the omega. It just needed ALOT of breaking in. But now its amazing!

Boar hair brushes yep they are disappointing
trumpers skin food smells nice but thats as far as it goes
anything touted as pre shave is a waste of time use them after a shave thats a different kettle of fish.

Aftershaves made by companies that make designer clothes. they are rubbish compared to anything by T&H, Proraso or a drop of Bay Rum.

Old blade grinder said:
Canuck said:
Some soaps. Is Martin de Candre really worth that much? Cade is similarly overrated. Penhaligons soaps are just rubbish and at £20 a bowl they're really poor value.

Subjective I know, but them's shavin' for ya.
Cade overated and over priced here speaks a yorkshire man

Maybe in the posh stainless steel bowl, but I reckon the refills aren't too bad, given the performance.

Gosh, was this December last year already?

Anyway I concede that you're right Chris, the bowl is over priced (and yet lovely) but it was unfair of me to say the soap was overrated, I have been using mine a lot more recently and I've finally "got" it. It's funny, things go in phases, almost no-one mentions or uses it now.

Penhaligons soaps are still truly shit.

Back
Top Bottom