Oh dear Lord

So far this year I tried two blades from Lord in Cairo, the Lord Platinum and the Asco in the orange box. I must say that for 3 shaves these are not tagging, giving a smooth nice finish so what's not to like.

Now, I had a look on their range and it is indeed very wide plus some comments usually good on the blade spreadsheet.

Should I try the rest of the range ie Rainbow, Big Ben, Shark, Racer etc' or are these all the same blades in either PT coating or Plats?
Or is this a waste of time?

I've used most of the Lord brands as I had a sampler.

Racer are the ones that I settled on but I found these very similar to Rainbow, Big Ben, Asco, Silver Star, Shark SS and Lord Super.

I like all these blades and get a comfortable close shave from them in most of my razors. I settled on Racer as there were 10 blades to pack, no other reason as I could have bought 100 of any of these ones.

I didn't get on very well with the super chromes (Lord and Shark) finding them sharp but a little harsh for my skin although always had a very close shave from them I never actually found the shaves particularly comfortable. the Lord Platinum were sort of between the SS and the SC ones for me.

the only blades from this manufacturer that I really disliked was Crown.

I think the stainless steel branded ones are my choice but they are much of a muchness.

I've not long finished a pack of Lord Super that I got free with a razor and enjoyed using them just as much as the Racer. I used my last Lord SC at the weekend and still feel them harsh during the shave but a very close shave.

Griffo said:
I've used most of the Lord brands as I had a sampler.

Racer are the ones that I settled on but I found these very similar to Rainbow, Big Ben, Asco, Silver Star, Shark SS and Lord Super.

I like all these blades and get a comfortable close shave from them in most of my razors. I settled on Racer as there were 10 blades to pack, no other reason as I could have bought 100 of any of these ones.

I didn't get on very well with the super chromes (Lord and Shark) finding them sharp but a little harsh for my skin although always had a very close shave from them I never actually found the shaves particularly comfortable. the Lord Platinum were sort of between the SS and the SC ones for me.

the only blades from this manufacturer that I really disliked was Crown.

I think the stainless steel branded ones are my choice but they are much of a muchness.

I've not long finished a pack of Lord Super that I got free with a razor and enjoyed using them just as much as the Racer. I used my last Lord SC at the weekend and still feel them harsh during the shave but a very close shave.

Thank you Griffo, I will give racer a go, I think there are some on the bay for not much £.

Only just noticed this. I've posted a similar thread on the subject. I'll recommend Big Bens as my personal fave. The Ascos are also very good though I've read somewhere that the Asco Orange, Red & Red/Blue are all the same blade.

Alongside Supermax I find them to be a very good blade manufacturer who for some reason don't get the same kind of acclaim as Feather, Astra & Polsilver. No doubt someone will post just exactly what that reason is ;)

FWIW, on another forum a member said he received an e-mail from Lord stating that all their blades are the same with one exception & that they merely use different names for marketing purposes. The exception is that the Lord Platinum & Lord Super Chrome are coated with chromium, hence their smoothness. That makes perfect sense to me after having tried several of their blades and IMO the Platinum ranks above the Astra SP for smoothness and is rubbing shoulders with Gillette's top tier blades. I like Egyptian blades better than Indian ones on the whole, but of course that is entirely subjective. Interestingly, Lord was once aided by the former Wilkinson Sword U.K.:

http://lordshave.net/history.php

So far this year I tried two blades from Lord in Cairo, the Lord Platinum and the Asco in the orange box. I must say that for 3 shaves these are not tagging, giving a smooth nice finish so what's not to like.

Now, I had a look on their range and it is indeed very wide plus some comments usually good on the blade spreadsheet.

Should I try the rest of the range ie Rainbow, Big Ben, Shark, Racer etc' or are these all the same blades in either PT coating or Plats?
Or is this a waste of time?

Big Ben, Rainbow and Shark are great blades for me as are Racer as well. Sharp and smooth and dont seem to loose an edge.

Back
Top Bottom