Newbie checking in - plus first DE shave

Hi all - after lurking for a few weeks I have taken the plunge and joined the forum plus had my first DE shave today. I'm in my early 30's and have cartridge shaved since my teenage years but after a particularly bad shave was motivated to do some google research and came across the wonders of DE shaving. I have gone the 'value' route to start, Boots DE razor, Wilkinson Sword brush and soap. My first DE shave went quite well, my face was shaved as close as a cartridge equivalent but my neck is definitely rougher, a couple of nicks but nothing too serious. However, definitely less irritation which is the main reason I considered DE shaving in the first place!

I'm hoping that as my technique improves and I get better products my shaves will improve. I already have my eye on an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor and EJ best badger brush. I was also thinking of ordering some Prof. Blighty products. My wife has already insisted that I set a budget and stick to it (she says one razor is enough for anybody!).

Hi dilbertz and welcome to the forum! I recommend watching mantic59 on You-tube, he does some great shaving videos.

Your wife and Arrowhead are quite right, you only need one razor.

Your wife and Arrowhead are quite wrong, you can never have too many razors!!! :lol:

Welcome.

The Wilkinson Sword soap works best after a good soaking with hot water. It softens up well and you can heavily load your brush.
The brush itself is not my favourite, but gets better after a breaking in period.

Welcome and be warned.

If you can take an interest in wet shaving like many of us, set a budget, and stick to it, we want you as Chancellor of the Exchequer in the UK.

Thanks for the welcome and replies. With joint bank accounts and online banking sending stuff to work doesn't make any difference! However, I will be a man and put my foot down and insist on these necessary purchases and hopefully SWMBO will take pity on me.

Hi & very welcome Dilster. Prof B is always a gr8 source for assorted shaving products & does "mates' rates" on TSR. Keep your eyes open also on Sunburyboy's "Barbershop" blog for pre shave soap & shaving soaps. Did I mention Henk & Nanny's soaps as well ? oops, sorry, 'fraid I'se becoming an enabler aren't I !

JohnnyO. \ :oops:

Hi and welcome, don't worry about your wife, just ask her how much she spends on shoes, blusher, eyeliner, lipstick, hair products (inc. GHDs), nights out with the girls (per year) and then just remind her how little you have spent on your first twenty purchases !!! Good luck and don't forget to duck when she lashes out lol
Always stood me in good stead with the ex-wife .....
Have fun

Hi and welcome to TSR Dilbertz! :D No worries, my wife thinks it´s good and she´s happy with the left over space in the bathroom cabinet - what ever keeps me from taking crack cocaine is a bless, is her point of view... of course you´ll have to start with crack cocaine to prove your point, but I think it was worth it :D

Back
Top Bottom