New muhle r41

huxley said:
Head 25.5g
Handle 37.5g

Feels a bit handle heavy, feels quite nice actually.

Hi there,

Now that is really interesting...the weight I mean. I woulda bet money that handle was gonna be heavier. Actually, that one being lighter may be a good thing.

I was pretty sure this razor was gonna be balanced a lot more handle heavy than it is. I found that a handle weighing too much can detract from the shave by adding a bit more aggression to the mix. I was thinking this set up might be like a lined Chatsworth, but that's not the case here.

I think this razor you bought may feel very good in your hand, and may be easier to control with the more even balance and lighter weight.

Congrats on the nice looking addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

emolient said:
Just tried it. It is as aggressive a razor as I have can remember having used in 50+ years of DE shaving. I'm no real fan of OCs although I have a fair number of them and can get comfortable BBS results with all. On first encounter, this one seems to be the grand exception.

Hi there,

Sounds like that doggie woulda bit you if given half a chance. Were you able to get through your normal amount of passes with that lovely looking piece?

Martin

dodgy said:
Sounds like that doggie woulda bit you if given half a chance. Were you able to get through your normal amount of passes with that lovely looking piece?
Mission aborted after WTG, something that normally withstands anything I use for it. Not so this time. Had I been nostalgic for the blood-tinged visible traces of my earliest days with a DE, yesterday's effort would have been more gratifying. I'm actually quite curious to read how guys with tougher hide take to it.

Well i've just finished my shave, no nicks and cuts but i went for two passes and got a few weepers.

It's a seriously aggressive razor, muhle weren't kidding when they said one pass would be enough. In the way you feel the edge with a slant, makes this x2 you REALLY feel the edge.

It's given me what is probably my closest shave to date.

This is with mwf and a shark super chrome.

I used one of the new design heads earlier today, with a Feather blade so I could gie it a proper comparison to other razors I've been trying.

It's scarily aggressive and one WTG pass was enough for me on my face and I finished up with another razor.

On my head, though, is where it came into it's own. It combined well with my Ikon Claasic Handle and gave the closest headshave I've ever had. It did need me to change the directions of my passes though as ATG was almost impossible.

One nick on my face and two on my head and a little irritaion on my face were my only battle scars. :)

This is one seriously aggressive razor....only managed two shaves with it so far....It's a beautifully engineered and finished razor...the chrome plate is heavy and perfect...aesthetically its very pleasant too.
The first shave...left me with a glow that could probably be seen from space....couldn't do my top lip at all with it, the blade angle was so severe..either that or my nose was in the way...had to use one of my Merkurs for that..this was using my usual technique that I've been using.. since forever....Hot Flannel to soften the whiskers...three soapings....followed by Nivea moisturiser......
Ok A clean shave but at a cost....and no closer shave than my Merkurs... but with a lot more grief.

Second shave.....after much advice from B & B forum in the States about blade angle and pressure exerted....the shave was a bit better with the angle adjusted and almost no pressure at all....Still a very aggressive razor...Pit Bull springs to mind..definitely not for sensitive skin or first time shavers....I will persevere with it...but doubt I shall EVER be able to use it every day..which rather defeats the object...at the moment my face needs at least three days rest before another go.......

Feather Blade and TOB Jermyn Street cream...used....along with Badger brush.....I've been shaving for 50 years and this is the most aggressive razor I've ever used.....maybe I'll try a less sharp blade next..see what that does.....A shame Its too nicer piece of kit not to be able to use......

GOLDCREST given your 50 yrs experience you've still managed to use arguably one of the worst and one of the sharpest blades currently manufactured in the most aggressive razor I've seen. I think I'd first be trying a Shark, Astra or Personna or any other middle ranked blade to see which way the wind blew me.

antdad said:
GOLDCREST given your 50 yrs experience you've still managed to use arguably one of the worst and one of the sharpest blades currently manufactured in the most aggressive razor I've seen. I think I'd first be trying a Shark, Astra or Personna or any other middle ranked blade to see which way the wind blew me.

Thanks for that antdad....after my second encounter with the R41..I had begun to wonder at the wisdom of using a Feather.....I will try say an Astra as I have some in stock...though the reason I hadn't used one before is they never gave me as smooth a shave as a feather........Ditto Derby...Willkinson etc ..when used in my other razors (Merkurs)...

We can but try....The Muhle is just too beautiful to leave in its box.

The Shark Super Chrome is my blade of choice with a NEW, seems to be very forgiving and sharp enough for me, that would be my first port of call.

As I suggested earlier in this thread the new R41 looks crazily aggressive in comparison to a modestly aggressive NEW or NEW improved. The Shark SC might work for you, what I do like about them is the tail off in performance seems gradual and you might be thankful for that. Might be worth trying the stainless version too, I didn't particularly like them but you never know they might suit and they are cheap as cihips.

GOLDCREST said:
...I will try say an Astra as I have some in stock...though the reason I hadn't used one before is they never gave me as smooth a shave as a feather........Ditto Derby...Willkinson etc ..when used in my other razors (Merkurs)...

We can but try....The Muhle is just too beautiful to leave in its box.

Hi there,

Yeah, that's a nice looking razor and I don't blame you for trying to figure out how to enjoy using the thing. I've shaved with more than a few overly aggressive razors that I really tried to like, but with no luck.

Tried milder blades, tried adjusting technique, but I found it hard to tame a razor with lots of bite. Ended up selling off almost all of em over the years, although I still have a few unusual ones that I sometimes take out of the case and hold sometimes....heh.

The idea of using a blade that doesn't cut as well as my go to one seems kinda self defeating. I can't imagine a more aggressive razor making the blade any sharper.....it's still gonna pull as much I'd think. Possibly a more normal blade like that Astra will do the trick. The Feather's crazy sharp and would be a rough road in that R41.

Now using a mild razor is a different story. In that case, a very sharp blade can really improve the performance.

I hope you end up getting good shaves from that Muhle, but if not then that's the way it goes. There's plenty of other great razor choices that are great lookers and perform extremely well to boot.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom