New muhle r41

I've just noticed that Geofatboy has posted a video on YouTube with the R41.

Having watched it, he seems to have the head at a very steep angle. I don't know if it's a trick of the camera/lighting, but at some stages the head of the razor appears to be almost at 90 degrees to his face!

Ian

I just watched the video too.....I agree with you Ian the angle does look very steep......I wonder what his face feels like????.........He didn't tell us that....
my first shave with the r41 was using similar angles to the ones he used on his cheeks...and Oh Boy did I have a glow on...I couldn't use that razor again for several days......it gave me a very close shave ...but at the cost of feeling freshly sandpapered........with very rough sandpaper at that.....
I just hope beginners don't emulate that video..........

Very impressive lather production. I was impressed.
Really... He does save well. You have to give him that. But then if that was your main job you'd be expected to shave well.

No. I just can get the hat right first thing in the morning. Tried hats about 20 yrs ago; then my boss started wearing them and I realize how dumb I looked and gave them up never to be worn again!

Marcel:: just read everything that you can on the site about blade selection, technique, soap/cream, etc and you'll be ok. Dry shave 1st without a blade, just to get the feel of it. Most of all think about how you've going to start ... And finish.
My advice is short, easy strokes. No or little pressure to start. And keep your face slick!

Johnus said:
Marcel:: just read everything that you can on the site about blade selection, technique, soap/cream, etc and you'll be ok. Dry shave 1st without a blade, just to get the feel of it. Most of all think about how you've going to start ... And finish.
My advice is short, easy strokes. No or little pressure to start. And keep your face slick!
Thanks!
I took delivery of mine this morning, and it's a beauty!
I'm used to pretty aggressive razors (new standards, new deluxes, slant) but this one seems to be just that little more dangerous, tomorrow morning will be it's maiden shave :icon_wink::icon_twisted:
Why Muhle supplies this razor with a Derby blade is beyond me. For my first shave I'm deciding between a Gillette Bleue extra (NOS), Feather, Gillette yellow or a perma-sharp, I still haven't made up my mind.

I had my first shave with the R41 this morning and although the blade I used apparently wasn't the best match (a NOS gillette bleue extra, it tugged a bit, never happened in other razors) it still gave me a DFS in two passes, WTG and XTG. I'm impressed!
Now I need to decide what blade to try next time :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the tip! I do have some lying around and might give those a try. My other options would be Gillette yellows or Perma-sharp. I will try a feather when I feel better at home with this razor.

OK, I've tried my R41 this morning. When I saw the blade set in the head I thought OMG, the blade is exposed like 1-1mm on both sides and it's almost unbent, almost flat. Tried it with Proraso soap and Gillette SuperThin blades (the "Vietnamese Feathers") thinking: let's rock!
What I can say is that you feel the blade on your face so no toy for the faint-hearted - yet it's not uncomfortable and I haven't had a bad feeling about it. Plus, as the blade is exposed I could finally reach under my nose without too much acrobatics :)
Regarding it's agressiveness... yes it's aggressive but through: you are almost BBS after the WTG pass! Crazy....

The final verdict could be said in two words: unforgiving and perfect!

Unforgiving, because it really shaves everything off your face, so if you have any nicks, spots, blisters, birth-marks or moles that stand out of the surrounding surface then better reach for a milder razor 'cos this fella will cut it off in no time :)
Perfect, because it really shaves well and looks awesome.

One more thing, a sort of a suggestion: I would'nt list this on e-shops between Safety razors because safety has lost its meaning with this razor :D

Back
Top Bottom