New Handle

daz

As some of you will have seen I have already made a new handle for my first DE (boots own job) I had limited time and although it improved the handling it still isn't enough. I have made a couple of handles for forum members to try out for me as I know nothing yet of weight and balance etc when it comes to DE razors, they are going to post a wee review with a pic when they have had time to try them out and give me some feedback on what can be improved.
Below is a handle I was making for a guy from another forum (non shaving). To cut a long story short I made a wee mistake and will not send it to him, I would rather he waited until it is done right which should be tomorrow.
It is 105mm long and 15mm thick, for those interested I will weigh it tomorrow but it feels quite hefty. Mainly aluminium with a brass insert in the handle for nothing but looks, and a tapered brass end for screwing onto head.
I will use it for now, I can always make another one. I love having a lathe!!!

[attachment=5242]
[attachment=5243]
[attachment=5244]
[attachment=5245]
[attachment=5246]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 68
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 42
ishmael said:
Very nice! I wonder if the Aluminium will make it too light. Maybe a big chunk of brass at base.

I have done another one with a nice piece of brass at the bottom as well as the top, but you will have to wait till it arrives at its new owner before you get to see a pic:icon_razz: But apart from that, the aluminium I am using is quite a heavy grade and once the brass head is added it has a fair bit of weight. Bear in mind the brass is press fitted and there is a 15-20mm long piece of 10mm diameter brass inside the head end. The bottom end also has a chunk of brass 15mm long by 8mm diameter pressed in to give it a bit more balance.

I shall wait till I get some response back from the two I have sent out for testing, but I already have 6 basic designs down on paper, and they can all be made different diameters and lengths to suit

Tackleberry said:
That's really nice Daz, I like it! Almost the same as No 1 ;-)
Almost, but not quite. I think number one will be a bit nicer!!!

daz

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, much appreciated.

I have had another idea though, I am thinking of making brush handles to match. Same process as the handles but obviously using larger materials. I wont be able to put the knot in as I don't know how, but there are no doubt a few guys on here that would sort that out for a fee.

I have made another couple of handles today, one the same as I posted yesterday and another that looks so nice I might just keep it for myself, but I might just sell it to buy more materials:icon_biggrin:

I am seriously considering making and selling these but it would most likely be forum members only to start with. They are quite time consuming and I would probably not be able to make more than one or two a week, if I start to sell them I think I would have to do it outside working hours as I can't see the boss being happy about me making handles all day.

I have enough brass left to make one more so I might possibly have two for sale early next week. First though I will have to have a think about what they are worth. I obviously need to be able to cover materials, time and tooling.

I have plenty aluminium left so if anyone wants one of those I can sort one out for you. I think it would have to be quite thick to make it heavy enough though. Could anyone do me a favour and weigh their favourite handle? Then I can machine up a couple of different designs and see what they weigh to compare.

Watch this space!

cheers

daz

Back
Top Bottom