New handle for Damaskeen

Hi all its me again picking everyones brains.
I'm hoping to get a new handle for my Damaskeen from Templ8.
The problem is, there always a problem isn't there, the thread on the damaskeen is smaller than the 1912 . Does anyone what size the thread on the two are and if the damaskeen head can be tapped out. No verniers sorry before you ask.
Hopeful Gaz

Strictly, 6-32 & 10-32.

As Mike has suggested, M5x0.8 is good for practically all bored handles, suitable for DEs.

If you've get to commission the handle from Iain (templ8), discuss it with him - I betcha he'll be able to make your handle and set in a grub screw that is suitable for your Damaskeene. If you want the handle for more that the Dami, yes, get it bored (which will be M5x0.8) so that a grub screw can be inserted and removed, and have your Dami bored and tapped.

pjgh said:
Strictly, 6-32 & 10-32.

As Mike has suggested, M5x0.8 is good for practically all bored handles, suitable for DEs.

If you've get to commission the handle from Iain (templ8), discuss it with him - I betcha he'll be able to make your handle and set in a grub screw that is suitable for your Damaskeene. If you want the handle for more that the Dami, yes, get it bored (which will be M5x0.8) so that a grub screw can be inserted and removed, and have your Dami bored and tapped.
Thanks Paul I am going to commission from Iain but the idea was for the handles to be interchangeable so I could use it with my autostrop as well, although I appreciate the end would have to be finer to fit into the valets head.
Yep Gaz, I tapped my Damaskeen head to fit regular DE handles' M5 x 0.8 thread see my post here - SE Razor Handle Thread Adaptation
i like the idea of the two ended grub screw in the post with separate threads its just a matter of finding one, I have M5 taps and dies but no imperial ones.
Food for thought many thanks
Gaz

I've been to my local engineering supplies store and for the first time they couldn't place a thread, it was the Damaskeen. To cut a long story I have tapped out the thread to M5, sacrilege I know but its for use not show. I bought a length of M5 stainless rod, my intention is to cut a short length and Loctite it into the head so I can use my Weber handle and the one I shall order from Iain.
Will it work?
Gaz

That'll work, yes.

It might be worth scoring a groove into the top of the thread just in case it unscrews into one of your handles - insert a screwdriver into the thread and remove. Alternatively, you can buy short grub screws which have a hex recessed into one end - use a hex key to remove.

Here you go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-M6-SOCKET-SET-GRUB-SCREW-PLAIN-CUP-POINT-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-9-LENGTHS-/111018688846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item19d93ac14e ... right down to 5mm in length.

Greenpotterer said:
I've been to my local engineering supplies store and for the first time they couldn't place a thread, it was the Damaskeen. To cut a long story I have tapped out the thread to M5, sacrilege I know but its for use not show. I bought a length of M5 stainless rod, my intention is to cut a short length and Loctite it into the head so I can use my Weber handle and the one I shall order from Iain.
Will it work?
Gaz

It will work ok. The last thing you need is the grub screw to get stuck in the handle. That's why I used an M5 bolt in the razor head, then it's not possible for it to come out. As I said in my post/link earlier I'd suggest 8mm bolt instead of 10mm bolt because of the restricted room inside the head to insert the bolt. Using a bolt means no glue needed. I got the bolts from eBay for pennies.

Greetings Gaz

Obviously you would not have done it unless you were unhappy with the original Damaskeene handle but I had to report this outrage to The 'Dammy' Appreciation Society!

Now whilst they are generally quite sympathetic, they have decreed that the offence is so serious you have been excommunicated and sentenced in absentia to be burned at the stake, having first had your eyes dug out with a Little Lather Catcher! :angel:

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings Gaz

Obviously you would not have done it unless you were unhappy with the original Damaskeene handle but I had to report this outrage to The 'Dammy' Appreciation Society!

Now whilst they are generally quite sympathetic, they have decreed that the offence is so serious you have been excommunicated and sentenced in absentia to be burned at the stake, having first had your eyes dug out with a Little Lather Catcher! :angel:

Regards
Dick.

Gaz, although blinded and a little charred, you would still be welcome to join the "Society of Handles Improved Through Standardisation".

Welcome to the dark side :icon_evil:

I have to shave by touch anyway as I can't see bugger all without my glasses and I love a bit of stake sic.
See your point about the grub screws and hadn't considered the grub screws sticking in the handles being more concerned about them sticking in the head.
The valet handles will have stay as are I'm afraid as I can't tap them out, no clearance beneath the threaded hole and I am very wary about dismantling one of my favourite shaves plus i dont know how to do it.
I look forward to be joining my fellow rebels in the "Society of Handles Improved Through Standardisation" may many configurations be possible.
Gaz

pjgh said:
I might not be quite understanding what you're saying, but Valet handles can be used on the later 1912s - any change in handle on the Valet side will need to have a long, slender top so that the clip at the back can clip and unclip.
Thanks Paul I realise that. I may ask Iain to make a bespoke one for the valet with a slender top,( I find your words much more descriptive than mine)
As you say I could use a M5 thread on the 1912, the Damaskeen, and the Valet, if, and its a big if, I could tap out the Valet head to fit the M5 but I can't get the tap into the head far enough to cut a thread. The bar that acts as an axis for the blade fitting is too close to the threaded hole that the handle fits in.
Gaz

Gotcha ...

Back when I had a good number of Valets, I thought about a simple 80mm long 15mm thick simple knurled with a slender top. I could have happily used that across the range, 1912s included. I've since found I really like one specific handle for my Valets, a quite short, quite slim, lightly knurled example with a couple of cuts at the end, not dissimilar to some of the British Gillette 'New' styles. For 1912s, funnily enough, I rather like the Gillette bakelite handle!

NorfolkDick's gonna kill me :D

pjgh said:
Gotcha ...

Back when I had a good number of Valets, I thought about a simple 80mm long 15mm thick simple knurled with a slender top. I could have happily used that across the range, 1912s included. I've since found I really like one specific handle for my Valets, a quite short, quite slim, lightly knurled example with a couple of cuts at the end, not dissimilar to some of the British Gillette 'New' styles. For 1912s, funnily enough, I rather like the Gillette bakelite handle!

NorfolkDick's gonna kill me :D

I've already been scorched and blinded tonight so death may be a respite :D
I had something in mind for the handle, grip problems don't ya know, just need to tap out the Valets now when tapped out to M5 the 1912 handle fits fine in the new thread but 5mm rod doesn't fit the original threaded hole as I'm sure you know. any ideas how to tap the Valet so to speak
Gaz

Back
Top Bottom