New AS/Cologne suggestions?

I'm looking into getting some decent new smellies. I've still got quite a variety that I've amassed from many Xmas and Father's Day pressies, etc. My weapons of choice for nights out can be any of the following:

Issey Miyake EDT
Calvin Klein Euphoria EDT
Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue EDT
Clinique Happy EDT
Boss Midnight

Is there any other particular scents I should be looking at? I wouldn't mind something different for a change. I've heard Acqua di Gio and Gucci Envy are well received and I'm currently looking at getting either of those.

Something with a nice fresh hit like Issey Miyake, with a sweetness like Light Blue and warm vanilla/woody undertone would be ideal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have owned a lot of different splashes and EDT's over the years and at the top of my list for a long time was Issey Miyake but a few years ago on a whim from a quick sniff while in Boots i bought a bottle of givenchy blue label and since then its become my favorite by far and still years on when ever i wear it out people always comment on how great i/it smells..

I have taken the Notes from base notes as it would have been harder for me to describe but being honest you'd need to whiff it for a while to make your own mind up...
Top Notes
Grapefruit, Hedione, Bergamot
Middle Notes
Cardamom, Davana, Pepper
Base Notes
Olibanum, Vetiver, Cedar

That definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in. I'll drop into Debenhams or Boots in the coming days and have a sniff.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I've owned both AdG and Envy and they're as different as two designer scents can possibly be: AdG is clean, fresh and evokes summer whereas Envy is spicey, woody, perhaps even slightly carnal. I wear Envy out clubbing. Both are great scents and, to my nose, preferable to the five in your current collection. The question is - what are you actually looking for?!

I love gucci Envy, but a classier version would be Floris' Santal. Its a class act

If you want properly good smellies.. check out L'occitane, Penhaligons and Floris, and leave all the designery high street behind. A lot of that stuff isnt great and is just generic production material with a designers name stamped onto it. Most of it has poor longevity and rather basic fragrances with no real levels of subtlety.

If you try some of the nicer penhaligons stuff (opus, endymion, quercus and hammam) you'll see that their fragrances have many more complex layers. Same goes for Floris (Santal and JF are excellent) and L'occitane (i recommend Eau de Baux).

SInce discovering how good fragrances can get, i no longer buy the standard CK/Gucci stuff, its largely not that great

I also love Floris Santal and especially Endymion. For more shop available EDT's I recommend Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (not the big Polo collection) this can be worn during the day or evening. Burberry Touch, is quite a strong smell so I only wear in the evening. I love both and so do the ladies :)

When I first read your post my initial thoughts were Clinique happy and issey, but you have these already.

I'm also a fan of davidoff hot water.
And you may like some of the other varieties of issey.
Issey bleue for example.

Burgundy said:
I've owned both AdG and Envy and they're as different as two designer scents can possibly be: AdG is clean, fresh and evokes summer whereas Envy is spicey, woody, perhaps even slightly carnal. I wear Envy out clubbing. Both are great scents and, to my nose, preferable to the five in your current collection. The question is - what are you actually looking for?!

Something a bit different. I've had those for quite some time now and fancy something new. I love Issey Miyake, it's about as close to ideal as I have smelt thus far, for me anyway.

shrink said:
I love gucci Envy, but a classier version would be Floris' Santal. Its a class act

If you want properly good smellies.. check out L'occitane, Penhaligons and Floris, and leave all the designery high street behind. A lot of that stuff isnt great and is just generic production material with a designers name stamped onto it. Most of it has poor longevity and rather basic fragrances with no real levels of subtlety.

If you try some of the nicer penhaligons stuff (opus, endymion, quercus and hammam) you'll see that their fragrances have many more complex layers. Same goes for Floris (Santal and JF are excellent) and L'occitane (i recommend Eau de Baux).

SInce discovering how good fragrances can get, i no longer buy the standard CK/Gucci stuff, its largely not that great

I've heard quite a few good things about the Floris range so I may see if they do some sample packs and try a few of those to see how they come across.

cruciate said:
When I first read your post my initial thoughts were Clinique happy and issey, but you have these already.

I'm also a fan of davidoff hot water.
And you may like some of the other varieties of issey.
Issey bleue for example.

I didn't even know they had extended the Issey Miyake range, that's how long it's been since I bought myself a new AS. Father's Day and Xmas seems to keep me well stocked up.

Cheers for the advice thus far fellas. I'm all for new ideas if anyone has any other suggestions. :)

Floris does provide samples. I signed up for their newsletter and was asked if I would like to sample some of their scents. After asking if I could have some samples of the Floris men's fragrances I received seven samples. I ended up buying Floris Santal, excellent stuff for cool(er) weather.

I think I receive their newsletter too, so I'll see if they'll send me some samples. Thanks for the advice.

Coincidentally, I was clearing out a drawer last night and came across 2 small sample bottles. One was CKIN2U and the other was Paco Rabanna 1 Million. 1 Million was right up my street. A fresh, warm and woody fragrance with some light vanilla-style undertones. That may well be on my "Must-buy" list now.

cruciate said:
Prof blighty's new tuxedo smells, I think, a lot like million.
I'll see if I can find you a small pot and send you some if you like?

That would be excellent, Chris. Thank you! I had been wondering how Tuxedo came across but hadn't heard much feedback.

Would you like anything going the other way? A sample of any of the AS's I've listed or anything?

Nope.
Just hearing your reviews about the Progress you got on here is enough. Its convinced me to get one.......eventually.

Drop me a PM with your address, either through here or Aria and I'll get it sent to you.

Tainted said:
I think I receive their newsletter too, so I'll see if they'll send me some samples. Thanks for the advice.

Coincidentally, I was clearing out a drawer last night and came across 2 small sample bottles. One was CKIN2U and the other was Paco Rabanna 1 Million. 1 Million was right up my street. A fresh, warm and woody fragrance with some light vanilla-style undertones. That may well be on my "Must-buy" list now.

If you like 1 Million you must definitely try Burberry Touch, I have both and have trouble deciding which one to wear on a night out, they are also the only two frags that I have had people ask me what I am wearing.

Back
Top Bottom