New and possibly addicted

dodgy said:
In a couple of weeks, I might suggest finding the right razor for your next step. Your technique should be fine and you'll have tried some different blades to find one that suits you. Important as blades are, using the right razor is probably more so. Anyway, that's what I'd zero in on next, after another few weeks of using what you have.

At the moment I can't fault the Edwin Jagger DE86 that I have but I still seem to find myself automatically going to the various shops and review sites looking at other razors. Blade wise I've only tried Derby Extra and some "Isreali made" blades from the shaving shack but I do have around five more brands sitting on the shelf waiting for their turn.

PavlovsDog said:
It's the soaps and creams that I keep buying that I don't really need. I've only been doing this for 2 months and I already have 12 soaps and creams in my rotation.

It's the soaps and creams that are doing it for me at the moment. I started off with some Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap which I really like but then I read about Mitchell's wool fat soap so I ordered some of that and then yesterday I ordered a Truefitt and Hill sample pack as I fancy giving the creams a try.

Hopefully I'll be able to resist buying any more for now but after going through some of the posts on here that Professor Blighty's stuff sounds interesting...

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Hi wibxl and welcome to TSR.
Once you get going you'll find that youre never really happy with your kit,,there's always something better to be tried:icon_razz:
Buy a raffle ticket in our current promotion and you might win a rather special brush.
regards, beejay

Hi there, and welcome to TSR :)

Should you find yourself weakening in your resolve to stay off the soap, you'd do well to have a look at what Nanny (soapalchemist) has to offer. Excellent products and rather different from the ones which you've mentioned.

Arrowhead said:
Hi there, and welcome to TSR :)

Should you find yourself weakening in your resolve to stay off the soap, you'd do well to have a look at what Nanny (soapalchemist) has to offer. Excellent products and rather different from the ones which you've mentioned.

I bought some of Professor Blighty's the other day and a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street cream which goes to show just how strong my will power is but I'm determined not to buy any more until I've fully used at least one of the ones that I have...

I even spent quite a while looking at how to make my own but lye sounds like pretty nasty stuff.

Arrowhead said:
Well, that's you sorted for a little while then. The Taylor's cream has been an established favourite of mine for donkey's years: what flavour did you go for?

It was a tough choice especially as the brains at TK Maxx had decided to put stickers over the part of the label with the relevant details on but I went with lavender in the end as that was the only one that I could be sure of what I was getting due to the purple writing. Seemed a good deal for £5.99 and after using it this morning for the first time I quite liked it.

It is a good deal at the price. As far as I've been able to ascertain, all the creams by the 3 Ts as well as Real Shaving Company are made by the same firm, Creightons. The differences boil down to scent and presentation, making RSC the real bargain when it turns up in Poundland ... I'm quite happy to shell out more for the Taylor's sandalwood though - lovely stuff.

I managed not to buy any TOBS Sandlewood shaving cream from T K Maxx. I have enough other stuff to last until next summer, and that is it until then. So RAD never really came.

I haven't bought anything new in over a week now so I think that the first stage of addiction has passed but I do keep finding myself looking at new brushes and razors...

And now I've just bought a blade bank. Need to stop reading the threads on here.

wibxl said:
I haven't bought anything new in over a week now so I think that the first stage of addiction has passed but I do keep finding myself looking at new brushes and razors...

And now I've just bought a blade bank. Need to stop reading the threads on here.

It has not passed but just sitting in the background waiting for that must have soap,cream, etc

Welcome to TSR and good luck trying to tame the addiction - I haven't managed it yet - although I'm determined that I'm not going to buy anything else until after Christmas (other than a couple of items that are already waiting in the wings for payday!)

Back
Top Bottom