My handwriting's gone to hell!

Writing some notes today, I realised that my handwriting has gone to pot! Can't remember the last time I took pen to paper to write someone a letter! Or even write a cheque, for that matter. And I BLAME COMPUTERS!! I work with the baggers all day, five days a week, and here I am - at one AGAIN - typing this post!

I'm sure the computer has made me lazy and sloppy. And not just in terms of handwriting. I daresay they've caused me to become lackadaisical and inattentive in other areas of my life as well. Even personal relationships.

Rant over :icon_mad:

factormax said:
Writing some notes today, I realised that my handwriting has gone to pot! Can't remember the last time I took pen to paper to write someone a letter! Or even write a cheque, for that matter. And I BLAME COMPUTERS!! I work with the baggers all day, five days a week, and here I am - at one AGAIN - typing this post!

I'm sure the computer has made me lazy and sloppy. And not just in terms of handwriting. I daresay they've caused me to become lackadaisical and inattentive in other areas of my life as well. Even personal relationships.

Same here. I've noticed my writing has seriously gone downhill. I do find though if I use a fountain pen it is better. May be its just that slower pace of writing that way against the speedy way of typing ?

Northam Saint said:
factormax said:

Same here. I've noticed my writing has seriously gone downhill. I do find though if I use a fountain pen it is better. May be its just that slower pace of writing that way against the speedy way of typing ?

The pace, for sure. But I think it's the attention, as well.

There are exact parallels with the full DE/Straight shaving ritual, versus the 'can of goo/throwaway razor' routine.

I nearly fell off my perch the other day when I discovered my sister writes all her letters by hand. Que??

I once had a secretary who could read my handwriting. I could only ever read it immediately I had written it, before I forgot what it was about! Shopping lists and Post-its are not much use to me. I won a prize for my hand-writing at Junior School.

It all ends when you die, so not to worry.

So I am truly alone in writing get well soon & thankyou notes ? Wow, I feel like the only still living specimen of that dinosaur whose bones were recently discovered !

JohnnyO. :s/.

JohnnyO said:
So I am truly alone in writing get well soon & thankyou notes ? Wow, I feel like the only still living specimen of that dinosaur whose bones were recently discovered !

JohnnyO. :s/.

No SWMBO still does all that writing. She takes care of Birthdays etc, I've a rough vague idea what's going on. Her handwriting is much more acceptable.

I write with a fountain pen pretty much every day of the week - you are not alone JohnnyO.

Whilst of course I do a lot of work on the computer, I still take great delight in 'proper' old-fashioned writing with pen and ink.

I'm left handed, writing was not my favourite thing in school but these days I enjoy making notes.

There's a bunch of people in my work who have changed the font to look like handwriting on their closing info.

Interesting point about general tardiness to life creeping in. There are big gaps in inter personal skills coming through in our new hires and that's hard to teach.

Maybe we need a no tech day where we make people communicate without phones and computers.

Audiolab said:
There are big gaps in inter personal skills coming through in our new hires and that's hard to teach.

Seems to be catching! By "new hires" may we assume you mean "newly hired people", or in Old English, "new employees"? Definitely people, though, not hires?

Bechet45 said:
Audiolab said:
There are big gaps in inter personal skills coming through in our new hires and that's hard to teach.

Seems to be catching! By "new hires" may we assume you mean "newly hired people", or in Old English, "new employees"? Definitely people, though, not hires?

If they can read and write I'm not that fussy if they are human or not.

Likewise ... I also found writing hard work because I would tense up my fist and that would have knock-on consequences to my elbow; pain and fatigue, writing with a pen.

I tried again a couple of years ago, picking up on old Parker pen. Concentrating on keeping a light grip and ensuring a good flow, it was okay, but perhaps confidence and flow left me with only a handful of words per line. Picking a finer nib, I cracked it ...

I love writing now, something of a turnaround!

Of course I had to write at school and computers were still something you'd heard about but rarely seen while at University, typewriters too expensive, also. Funny, I hate reading, too, since I have a sort of scotopic sensitivity where the the words take on like a lightbulb filament and start burning and blurring to the point I simply cannot see them ... in a book. Reading, to me, is a chore and so I speed read, combined with photographic memory, my brain can read the detail in my mind to take on the knowledge, so long as I've looked at the page but not read it. I recall sitting in my degree exams, not quite cheating, but when I needed to quote verbatim, I simply closed my eyes and literally flicked through books in my mind.

To that end, computers have been a Godsend - I can read for hours on a computer, even for pleasure, I can type quickly and accurately, and keep up with my brain without physical fatigue.

... but when I want to savour time and a memory, writing with a pen is a nice thing to do. Just like traditional shaving - the slow road. It's good to slow down.

That is a large part of my problem with hand-writing, keeping up with my brain - the words increasingly resemble a squiggly line. Typing occupies enough of my mind to slow it down and I can keep up with the thoughts I am trying to express. Typing slows me down - and I can go back and correct my English, refine it, of course.

Kinda reassuring to know that I'm not alone in the use of pen and ink, thanks guys, bad enough being a wrinkly without moving into the positively dinosaur age bracket.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:/

Back
Top Bottom