Must have/try aftershaves?

I have a modest amount of DE razors and a small selection of blades. I now need a few bottles of smells to complete my daily ritual.

I've got a few of the typical tier 1 brand names but would like to go down the cheaper/middle road stuff. A large bottle of splash is my preference (i.e £15 for 250ml).
What smells are your must haves?

Been reading reviews on stuff like Pinaud lime sec, citrus musk, bay rum etc. Not going to buy them all so would like some pointers.

*Just want to say thanks to Dipesh who is going to send me a sample of ToBS bayrum.

Have a look at Floid, I have the Italian version called "The Genuine". Its fantastic stuff and the smell is very masculine musky with a slight menthol hit !
There are also Spanish and a blue versions. They all come in large 400ml bottles and cost about £15-£20ish.

when i used them (dont like AS splashes any more, and prefer balms now) I found floid to be pretty nice and a lovely smell. That was the original floid.

Tabac aftershave is pretty good too.

Bear in mind (whatever you try) that the scent from an AS won't usually last above an hour; the idea of an AS is to act as a mild astringent, and sterilising any cuts, whilst smelling nice. If you want a scent to linger, you need to consider a Cologne or EdT; just don't put them on shaved areas as you'll find yourself hopping around with your face on fire. They're intended to be squirted/rubbed into pulse points.

As far as an AS recommendation is concerned, given that you're looking at Bay Rums, you might want to try a bottle of Sunburyboy's Barbershop Bay Rum when his next batch is ready.

Tonka Man said:
Have a look at Floid, I have the Italian version called "The Genuine". Its fantastic stuff and the smell is very masculine musky with a slight menthol hit !
There are also Spanish and a blue versions. They all come in large 400ml bottles and cost about £15-£20ish.

I like the blue version, it's similar to Aqua Velva
but nicer, but they stopped producing it. I'll give the Spanish juice a go once I've used present stash.

Kevin

chrisbell said:
Bear in mind (whatever you try) that the scent from an AS won't usually last above an hour; the idea of an AS is to act as a mild astringent, and sterilising any cuts, whilst smelling nice. If you want a scent to linger, you need to consider a Cologne or EdT; just don't put them on shaved areas as you'll find yourself hopping around with your face on fire. They're intended to be squirted/rubbed into pulse points.

As far as an AS recommendation is concerned, given that you're looking at Bay Rums, you might want to try a bottle of Sunburyboy's Barbershop Bay Rum when his next batch is ready.

I'll second Sunburyboy's Barbershop Bay Rum. Excellent stuff. When his next batch is ready, grab a bottle quick. It tends to sell rapidly.

Also the Prof's aftershave splashes are top notch.

thanks for all your comments.

On the advice of a few members, i got a bottle of 'Superdrug Forest Fresh' and i got to agree its a great product. It settles into a nice smell that i can't figure out if its; amber, floral or barbershop. I had to pass on Sierran Breeze as it seemed too powerful. *i got a bit of a cold so can't really describe it so well.

Next i will try order: floid original, pinaud citrus musk, pinaud clubman, Sunburyboys BR. Will probably try Prof Blighty aswell.

Ordered: Old Spice Fresh Lime (India)

My wife nearly fell off her shoes when she realised the scent she liked so much was a Superdrug aftershave.

St James Founders Reserve Cedarwood and Clarysage is also very nice and is about £5 for 50ml edt. Sometimes in tk maxx or search for beauty at creighton's. Lasts a good while and no sting.

The Barbershop Bay Rum is probably the best ever product I have put on my skin as far as post shave care is concerned and I love the scent too. The scent does vanish quickly but the whole point of this bay rum and any proper aftershave is is to seal the pores and soothe the skin. BBR does that and more - fabulous stuff, well priced and all natural. Grab some later this month when Sunburyboy's next batch is due.

Barbershop Bay Rum

As to others, seek out Swiss Pitralon aftershave. Dodgy very kindly sent me some and it is rather lovely and very good on the skin. It's been around for many more years than I have but there are several versions out there, most notably a German one which I have no experience of.

The Indian-made Shulton Old Spice Lime is really good too. Took me a while to decide if I liked it but I definitely do and it's good on the face to boot. Any Old Spice AS I've tried has always worked well on my skin and most of the scents linger for a long time almost like a cologne, especially the aforementioned Lime variant. Cheap as chips and it's really funny when folk say that they love the smell only to see their faces turn like sour milk when you tell them what it is!

A word of warning if you're thinking of getting Pinaud Bay Rum.

Smells nice and yes, it is sold as an aftershave but it can be quite 'tingly' when it goes on.

flip-68 said:
I'd definitely give the Boots freshwood aftershave a go

+1 on steve's Barbershop Bay rum

I picked up a couple of bottles from Boots on saturday. I dont know if its a nationwide offer but a lot of their shaving stuff was half price. With the 3 for 2 offer as well you can get three bottles for £2.60. I also noticed their tabac range was reduced as well (I think it was half price but cant be sure)

Back
Top Bottom