Muhle R41 Review (open comb)

Re: MÜHLE R41 (open comb)

Tried out my R41 oc for the first time today. I've got mixed feelings about this razor.

It looks beautiful - really does. Feels a damn sight lighter than my beloved Futur, but as a result it's very nimble and I can see how this might be a good choice for a quickie shave.

My first slight concern with the Muehle is achieving equal blade exposure on both sides of the head. The first time I loaded the head and secured it back in place, I noticed the blade was not entirely parallel with the edge of the comb; likewise on the other side. I had to straighten it a couple of times before it looked even. (Has anyone else had this problem?)

The shave itself felt a bit strange, due in large part to the unfamiliar sensation of the comb's teeth raking over a day's stubble. No nicks, though. Aggressive? Put it this way, I get a more comfortable shave from my Futur. The R41 left my neck red in places, though nothing the Alum couldn't put right. But that's not to say it doesn't cut well - mine gave me a Very Good Shave as opposed to a Damn Fine Shave (or dare I say it, a Shockingly Shite Shave).

I'm still undecided on this bit of eye candy, and faffing around with blade alignment certainly didn't help matters. Still, everyone deserves a second chance. Especially when they look this good.

Sounds like my first experiences with it. I had pensioned it off join those razors I will keep as a collection rather than for use. But I gave it another chance today with a red personna blade. I took it slowly and really concentrated on technique. As I was shaving I didn't really feel it was a satisfying shave. But when I had finished it was a different story. The smoothness and closeness of the shave was a revelation. I cannot believe it will be possible to get a better shave. Hours later, my skin still felt incredibly soft and smooth.
There really are two issues here for me. One, it is vital to get the right blade for it. For me that is a red personna. It may be different for you. Secondly, an open combe razor demands correct technique throughout your shave. Light touch, smooth controlled strokes.
I will certainly continue to use it over the next few days. I want more shaves like today.
My Jagger closed combe version of this will arrive this week. If it is easier to use and matches the quality of shave an R41 may be available for trade. Time will tell.

Hi Boab. No, mine is the new model.

Hi Fido. On reading your review, and other people's advice on using Feathers (my blade of choice) with the R41, I decided to try it with a Red Personna from my Connaught sample pack. All in all, not a bad blade (not that I'm an expert). And like I said, the shave...or should I say the closeness of the shave...was generally very good. In fact, almost on a par with my Futur. As for comfort, maybe I should concentrate on technique a bit more.

Out of interest fellas, did either of you have any probs with getting even blade exposure?

I haven't but audio mentioned that it was a problem on the old model.

Naked Ape said:
Out of interest fellas, did either of you have any probs with getting even blade exposure?

Not a sausage NApe.

With an Astra or an IP the R41 does a great job for me. The more shaves I have with it then the better it seems to be.

Maybe I simply do better with a lighter razor? Seduced initially by an HD? Time will tell and, of course, so will I.

Fido said:
A friend gave me this old Gillette 'New' He is 80 - it was his fathers.

Fido, I recently acquired an 'Old Style' Gillette Open Comb, Ball Handled razor which I have been enthusiastically cleaning, boiling, purging and polishing over the past week. I cannot wait to give it a whirl, later this week I guess. I hope it matches your impressions of old Gillette OCs.

IP, Astra...soap, cream? Any experience or suggestions anyone?

:?

Go for a not quite so sharp blade to start with. I started with a Gillettte Super Thin which was probably at my limit of sharpness/comfort for an open combe. Will use a red personna next time which gave me such a good shave with the R41.

Naked Ape said:
Hi Boab. No, mine is the new model.

Update on my R41's uneven blade exposure: It's niggled me that much that I decided to give Dan at The Shack a call this morning. Really nice guy as it turns out; he mentioned a couple of QC blade exposure issues with Merkurs (which was very honest of him, I thought), but not Muhles as yet. Apparently Merkur told him that said 'variances' were acceptable...at least that's what I think he said. Anyway, he wants to take a look at it for himself and has sent out an envelope. Great customer service from The Shack.

can't say fairer than that really.Hope it gets resolved as this is a beaut of a razor.

Out of interest fellas, did either of you have any probs with getting even blade exposure?[/quote]

I contacted Merkur with a problem ref blade alignment. Was told these tolerances were perfectly acceptable, and all razors suffered from this. Eh! no they don't. Was disappointed with the reaction and I got the feeling this was the stock answer. The lady was not for turning.

Cheers

[/quote] I contacted Merkur with a problem ref blade alignment. Was told these tolerances were perfectly acceptable, and all razors suffered from this. Eh! no they don't. Was disappointed with the reaction and I got the feeling this was the stock answer. The lady was not for turning. Cheers[/quote]

Pretty much what Dan said. Although he didn't say so directly, I got the impression that queries about Merkur blade alignment were commonplace. For Merkur, or anyone else, to say that it's acceptable is pretty poor.

I contacted Merkur with a problem ref blade alignment. Was told these tolerances were perfectly acceptable, and all razors suffered from this. Eh! no they don't. Was disappointed with the reaction and I got the feeling this was the stock answer. The lady was not for turning. Cheers[/quote]

Pretty much what Dan said. Although he didn't say so directly, I got the impression that queries about Merkur blade alignment were commonplace. For Merkur, or anyone else, to say that it's acceptable is pretty poor.[/quote]

Nape,

That is indeed a damn sorry stance for Merkur or any manufacturer to take. My first EJ razor had a Merkur head and I also noticed a slight difference in edge exposure. The edges were straight on both sides, but there was a perceptible difference in how much edge was visible from one side to the other. I believe that this, among other QC issues, is what led to the collaborative effort between Edwin Jagger and Muhle to develop the current head that is shared on their razors. I guess that is one way to attack a monopoly.
Nothing against Merkur as a whole because they have done a lot to keep DE shaving alive in the face of Gillette (now P&G) efforts to kill it. Still, I would have hoped for better lip service than that.

just looked on the Muhle wesite and couldnt find the R41 OC. Have they stopped production? ( I could have missed it on the site ofc :oops: )

JaseB said:
just looked on the Muhle wesite and couldnt find the R41 OC. Have they stopped production? ( I could have missed it on the site ofc :oops: )

Don't think so I have read that they will restock a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom