Muhle R41 Review (open comb)

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
[attachment=0]

After I posted on here about this brand Audio sent me a loaner R41.Packaging was a simple brown box with the razor wrapped in paper, I like the understated feel of the packaging.Once I got the razor out I was surprised at how light it was.From the pictures it looks like it should have a substantial weight to it but the handle is hollow.It did feel well balanced though.The handle patter seems to be stamped (as Audio mentioned in the other thread) rather than machined knurling, it doesn't quite have that sharp edge to increase grip.Anyway this is all first impressions sitting at my desk....to the shave.
Software : Proraso pre/post, Proraso cream
Hardware : Rooney super, new Derby blade and of course the Muehle.

First pass WTG and the razor felt very mild,it was my first use of an open comb and I was expecting it to be aggressive.I could hardly feel the blade in fact I couldn't feel the blade on a few occasions.This felt a little strange at first but after rinsing I could tell that this was going to be a good shave.Second pass XTG and I'm still not feeling any resistance, this thing is just gliding across my face.I found that the comb design doesn't remove all the lather when it passes.There was some little spiky lines left afterwards which allowed me to do some touch ups as I went along.Normally I have two passes with a couple of touch ups and leave it there.Not today.I felt like I hadn't even put a blade to my face with this piece of kit.Lathered up for a third pass ATG.It all went as expected.No irritation and a very smooth shave.I can honestly say that the only time I have achieved complete Billiard Ball Smoothness was when I went to Luigi's barber shop.This shave today was as close as I have come to achieving a similar result.The lack of grip noted earlier wasn't apparent when the razor was being used.

Post shave: Irritation was minimal but the alum let me know that it had been a close shave, touch of proraso pre/post and I'm off to work, itching to write a review of this :lol:

In conclusion this is a great looking razor which performed equally as well.Good balance even though it may feel quite lightweight in your hand.Three piece open comb design looks classic and stylish.I would and probably will buy this razor.RRP on the Muehle site is 30 euros.

Thanks to Audio for the loan, I just hope it doesn't get 'lost' in the post on the way back to you :twisted:

Attachments

• R_41_1_600.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 922
Re: MÜHLE R41 (open comb)

A few weeks or so ago I posted elsewhere that I had just ordered a Muhle R89 razor.. the closed comb version of this razor. Well when my package finally arrived from Germany I opened it eagerly to only see that they had erroneously sent me this open comb version rather than the R89 I had ordered - the invoice showed R89!!!

To be honest I couldn't be bothered going through a returns process as getting the razor seemed to be somewhat of a protracted exercise to this point. Consequently, yesterday I used my new "R41" for the first time with (coincidently) the free Derby blade that came with it.

My shave wasn't as great as the one above, but I must say it was enjoyable and certainly close. Seeing as I already have a Merkur 3 piece razor (1904) with a ikon handle I probably have closed comb well covered so serendipity means I have another good razor of something completely different.

In the past I have disliked Derbys, so call me stupid but my R41 is getting a brandnew 7'oclock yellow !!!! Lets see how it performs then!

Let us know how it goes Guy, I think the Derby is suited to some people more than others, like most blades.Where did you buy the razor?

I just love this razor.. but the Gillette 7'oclock yellow was a HUGE MISTAKE.

My go to blade for this razor is now the Tesco Israeli unmarked Personna. High street purchase and absolutely sweet in this razor.
I can go so fast with this combination and this is now the setup I use during the week when I went to get shaved, get the kids to school and get into work!

I too have the R89. It has become my favourite razor by far. Balance and agessiveness are perfect for me, fit and finish are flawless. Really feels like a top quality item and more luxurious than the more austere Merkurs. I'd recommend a Mühle DE over an HD any day.

Frederick said:
I too have the R89. It has become my favourite razor by far. Balance and agessiveness are perfect for me, fit and finish are flawless. Really feels like a top quality item and more luxurious than the more austere Merkurs. I'd recommend a Mühle DE over an HD any day.

Frederick, I posted a review of the EJ R89 on the DE Reviews a week or two ago. I believe that the Muhle and the EJ are probably the same (or damn nigh to it) beast save that the grip and the makers names are obviously different. I love the EJ R89, as I said, but there's just something about the Merkur I prefer; can't exactly put my finger on it but hey, we're all different.

...........Happy shaving!

BS

Update on the R41

2 weeks in and I am still exclusively using this razor.I wanted to update the progress after my glowing report on it's first outing.The razor is still living up to it's initial performance.I have tried a few blades in it now and haven't had a bad shave yet.Maybe I was confusion the aggressiveness with smoothness when I said the razor was mild.I get consistently close shaves with this piece of hardware every-time I use it.I have had a couple of nicks on the neck when I was getting a little distracted but apart from that technique fail there is nothing bad I can say about the shave performance.I didn't shave for 4 days to see how it coped with some heavier growth.Fresh Kai blade in and away we go, no tugging,pulling or irritation and after the first pass I can already feel it's going to be close.second pass and touch ups and I am happy once again.This razor is a real gem and nicely priced.I still heartily recommend it.

I read this thread some time ago and followed its progress. It got me thinking that all of my razors, old and new, are closed comb. You can see where this is going...

Checked the reviews at the 'other places' and made the decision on Sunday and ordered it yesterday. Dan, at the Shack, got it to me overnight (brilliant service as usual) before the Posties take to their braziers and it landed this morning. Looks very good, feels rather light and strangely delicate; odd that.

It is now loaded with an Astra and awaiting the cold light of dawn.

Decisions, decisions...what cream? Willpower? What's that?

Report to follow later in the week.

excellent, hope you like it.Look forward to hearing your views on it.

My new Muehle's R41 OC first run out was this morning and I have posted on the SoTD page.

First impressions, based on one outing? Wow, just simply wow!.

If its ok I'd like to abandon all other CC razors and go on with this for a week or so with different creams / soaps then offer a review.

I will however agree that the smoothness is unbelievable; a wholly different feel between a CC and an OC. This may cure my RAD or more precisely my Merkur AD.

I'm a verrrrrrrrrry happy bunny this morning!

:shave

Sounds similar to my experience Blythe.I have been using mine (ahem Audios ;) ) since my review.I need to send it back but keep erm forgetting.

A friend gave me this old Gillette 'New' He is 80 - it was his fathers.

I used it this morning. Light and nimble, it gave me a superb shave with a red personna blade. I really wonder if it's modern open comb successor will perform any better? I know there is only one way to find out. But I really think I have enough razors for now.

Attachments

• DSC_1396.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 145

guyhayton said:
I just love this razor.. but the Gillette 7'oclock yellow was a HUGE MISTAKE.

My go to blade for this razor is now the Tesco Israeli unmarked Personna. High street purchase and absolutely sweet in this razor.
I can go so fast with this combination and this is now the setup I use during the week when I went to get shaved, get the kids to school and get into work!

I am so glad I saw this. My Gillette Super Thins were too sharp with this. The Derby was more comfortable, but not sharp enough. Tried today with red personna. Perfect!
Thanks Guy.

Back
Top Bottom