Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)

I'm too much a purist to go mixing with other soaps and too lazy to grate such a chunk - so I nuked mine. Ten seconds at full power, little 'rests' between while I inspected the result. After the third bout of ten seconds I found the underneath was hot, as dodgy predicted but I didn't read that in time. So I gave up nuking and intensified the pressure and lo! gradually got the required spread so my puck now fits my pot, which pleases me.

Bechet45 said:
I'm too much a purist to go mixing with other soaps and too lazy to grate such a chunk - so I nuked mine. Ten seconds at full power, little 'rests' between while I inspected the result. After the third bout of ten seconds I found the underneath was hot, as dodgy predicted but I didn't read that in time. So I gave up nuking and intensified the pressure and lo! gradually got the required spread so my puck now fits my pot, which pleases me.

I took by someone's advice and soaked it for a whole day. It expanded to fit the puck but I fear that I have ruined it.

A lot of gelatinous substance came out (lanolin / oils?) and now it's all cracked. Worse I have a feeling that it lost its scent, can't hardly seem anything anymore.

Is that possible?

Do you recommend I nuke it?

All cracked is pretty normal for for MWF. Can't imagine why you'd want to soak it all day, weird. Anyway, just use it, it should work fine even if you've lost most of the scent. Personally I wouldn't nuke it, it being tallow based, if you do be darned careful, easy to overdo it and totally banjax it. As long as the container is roughly the right size there's no need for it to fit perfectly, unless that offends your OCD.

I didn't grate the entire puck, I just grated about 1/8 inch from the flat side then dropped the puck in the ceramic bowl and use the grated bits to fill in the gaps around the edges.
After the first use the puck expanded a bit and pushed the grated bits up the sides. Works great now.

shavecraft said:
All cracked is pretty normal for for MWF. Can't imagine why you'd want to soak it all day, weird. Anyway, just use it, it should work fine even if you've lost most of the scent. Personally I wouldn't nuke it, it being tallow based, if you do be darned careful, easy to overdo it and totally banjax it. As long as the container is roughly the right size there's no need for it to fit perfectly, unless that offends your OCD.

Wanted to soak it because it was much smaller than the bowl and would wobble around sometimes while lathering. Now it fits, but just isn't the same. Probably just get another puck next week, I love this soap.

You got the MWF ceramic dish? If you wet the underneath and press into the dish and then leave to try does that not hold it fast? If the MWF puck is the same size as the Kent puck (same soap, different label) then an old TOBS cream pot is just the right size for it. That's what mine's in.

Does anyone if their shaving soap is the same formulation as their bar soap? I have a bar of it (picked up from a spinners' supply shop before I started shaving again) and am wondering if it might be worth pressing the grater into service.

Piers said:
Does anyone if their shaving soap is the same formulation as their bar soap? I have a bar of it (picked up from a spinners' supply shop before I started shaving again) and am wondering if it might be worth pressing the grater into service.

Pretty sure they'll be different - shaving soap being formulated to have different properties to hand/bath soap. You can always look up the ingredient lists to be certain.

I've turned my puck into a shave stick using a recycled FCUK deodorant stick. Just grated the puck and moulded the shavings into the tube. Works a treat.

20140321102820_zpsurf0aank.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

You lot could make blinking complicated.

It doesn't matter if the cake of soaps spins a bit during loading, just back your brush pressure of a bit and/or spin the brush faster.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom