Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)

Presentation: Brililant! Came in a nice brown carton box. Inside the bowl was further wrapped in nylon, possibly to preserve freshness and scent. Then the gorgeous, heavy porcelain bowl. It is definitely a nice addition to the bathroom. Very retro.

I would have liked the bowl to be smaller, or the puck bigger, to fit tightly like the Tabac does or many others. Figure the soap will be wobbling around inside a lot. But I wet underneath the puck and so far it stuck, wouldn't move while brushing on top of it. Nice!

Scent: Intoxicating. I look forward to using all my soaps, but this is the one that gets me into the bathroom with the biggest smile on my face. It's a faint, never over-bearing scent. But while some say it's very soapy or natural, I am thinking perfume. It's quite good.

Lather-ability: Oh boy! Maybe I should get my eyes checked, or perhaps I live in a parallel universe. What's with the lathering controversy? London hard water, a normal badger brush, a few swirls on the puck and lather! Is it possible that there are old(er) pucks and new(er) productions and that it changes/hardens over time? I do NOT see an issue at all. It is just like my Tabac or Proraso, true not like a shaving cream that just produces explosions of lather, but it's great!

Okay, it is a bit thirsty. And dries out a little fast. But just keep adding droplets of water and all is well.

Performance: I found it to be quite protective from the blade. Gives good cushion and you can adjust the consistency with water.

I have never shaved and had my skin so soft and face supple afterward. I thought maybe it was a new AS I got recently, so I tried it with different combinations of blades and AS. It's amazing, no razor burn, no red skin, I'm not even getting irritation from my shirt collars as I usually do.

Conclusion: If you haven't tried it yet, BUY IT NOW!

[attachment=9981]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395419683.895957.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395419683.895957.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 90
Agreed, nice review. MWF is a great soap. Once dialed in, which takes all the longer when you have too many in rotation, it delivers unbelievable performance. But the funny thing is, I hardly ever use it. Come to think of it, I mainly use it out of guilt that it's just sitting there gathering dust. The scent just doesn't do anything for me.

I have MWF but would probably have gone for the Kent formulation if I'd known they were the same, apart from the scent. (Not a deal breaker as the soap gets rinsed off - but a bit like the Valobra stick - good performance but the scent's a bit ...)

Geofnay said:
I have MWF but would probably have gone for the Kent formulation if I'd known they were the same, apart from the scent. (Not a deal breaker as the soap gets rinsed off - but a bit like the Valobra stick - good performance but the scent's a bit ...)

Hi there,

The MWF and Kent smell the same to me.

I feel dumb saying this, but I waited four damn years before trying these soaps and jeeez, a lot of wasted time. Shoulda listened to people early on and tried it then. This is one of a few top soaps for me.

To the OP: I enjoyed your review........thanks.

Martin

Do they smell the same? Kent's website says:
'A fine fougere fragrance based around Patchouli, enhanced with extracts of Lavender, Pine and Clove on a spicy base of Nutmeg, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla and Musk.'

I don't get those notes from my MWF. Maybe I've lost my sense of smell.

Re: RE: Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)

Geofnay said:
Do they smell the same? Kent's website says:
'A nasty old lady fragrance based on granny's knickers with a sprinkle of old talcum powder and a dash of deep heat linament. Add in the great smell of sheep sweat and you will never forget this formulation"
Fixt that for you! Can't stand either of those soaps.

Re: RE: Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)

ffarouki said:
I would have liked the bowl to be smaller, or the puck bigger, to fit tightly like the Tabac does or many others. Figure the soap will be wobbling around inside a lot. But I wet underneath the puck and so far it stuck, wouldn't move while brushing on top of it. Nice!

I did the same, but I found the larger would fall down the gap around the edge of the puck. After a few weeks, the puck softened enough for me to crush if into the bowl. Problem solved.

Bechet45 said:
Mr_Smartepants said:
I've got both and I can't tell them apart scentwise.

Can you tell them apart in other ways - or are they really the same soap?

Same soap Carl. They even crack in that similar manner.

I think what happened is the description for the Kent soap must be for a different product.

Martin

Mr_Smartepants said:
Well, there IS a different label... :D

..........and much complication about SB2 and 4 etc.

So it should soften with being nuked for a few seconds - all that animal fat - to facilitate pressing into a mug, do you reckon? (hoping someone will try and report back.)

Bechet45 said:
So it should soften with being nuked for a few seconds - all that animal fat - to facilitate pressing into a mug, do you reckon? (hoping someone will try and report back.)

I know what you're aiming for but the microwave isn't the safest way to get there. I've gently warmed a large MWF chunk using short bursts and still ended up with a few hotspots where the soap started melting a little. Thinking about it, I would avoid that method with any triple milled soap.

Maybe steam it a while or bake it on very low heat for a while. I will use boiling water to heat the bottom of the bowl and stick the puck to that. Usually holds for 8-10 shaves.

Best I can do for you buddy.

Back
Top Bottom