Merkur Progress vs Parker Variant

I have indeed chap. It's a nice razor:

Post in thread 'SOTD : Saturday 9th April - Friday 15th April 2022.' https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...pril-friday-15th-april-2022.56505/post-873981

I find the Flexi a nice razor to use, especially in 'mid range' settings.
It seems to perform well with all brands of blades too.
It's built lile a tank and weighs a ton - one of those razors you wouldn't want to lose grip of while standing over the wash basin!
Imo, it beats the Progress 500 (short handle) hands down.

20221106_090435.jpg

Here we are folks. Decision time!

That was a lovely final shave with the Progress. Do the Progress and the Variant shave the same? No. Each is different but they're equally smooth and easy - ideal for daily shaving. In terms of aesthetics, I prefer the Progress. The Variant feels much better built. If you were trying to decide between these two razors, I think the decision ultimately boils down to weight. If you want a small and light adjustable, the Progress is the razor for you. The Variant has heft and feels like it will last an age. The longer handle and brass weight will suit those that want something more substantial in their shave. The settings on each of these razors seemed equal to me: 3 on Progress = 3 on Variant etc.

Those of you that have followed my house drama will understand why both of these are heading to the BST. They're nice razors. In different circumstances I'd keep them both but funds are needed. The reason I'm selling these and not some other razors is that I ultimately prefer my other razors.

Here's the theoretical outcome of this thread: If I was to keep one of these razors it would be the Parker Variant.

@Boycie83 , thank you, I enjoyed this thread. Let me know if I should ask this somewhere else, because it's going off on a tangent a little. You've recently explored both the Parker Variant and the Rex Konsul. I'm new to DE shaving and opted for the Variant as my first razor, with an idea to perhaps buy the Konsul in the future.

You've loads of experience and have both razors fresh(ish) in your mind. It seems like a good opportunity to ask if you would like to volunteer any comments. I was going to see how I got on with the Variant and after a while 'upgrade' to the Konsul, unless I learned something to steer me in another direction. One key element to my shaving is that the frequency is erratic, so the amount of growth varies - I've come from a Gillette Sensor which would get badly clogged really easily.

You may have no comment at all aside from it coming down to personal preferences, personal variables and YMMV. But I feel compelled to ask since you have just looked at the two razors which my initial research led me to focus on. No pressure!
:)

@Boycie83 , thank you, I enjoyed this thread. Let me know if I should ask this somewhere else, because it's going off on a tangent a little. You've recently explored both the Parker Variant and the Rex Konsul. I'm new to DE shaving and opted for the Variant as my first razor, with an idea to perhaps buy the Konsul in the future.

You've loads of experience and have both razors fresh(ish) in your mind. It seems like a good opportunity to ask if you would like to volunteer any comments. I was going to see how I got on with the Variant and after a while 'upgrade' to the Konsul, unless I learned something to steer me in another direction. One key element to my shaving is that the frequency is erratic, so the amount of growth varies - I've come from a Gillette Sensor which would get badly clogged really easily.

You may have no comment at all aside from it coming down to personal preferences, personal variables and YMMV. But I feel compelled to ask since you have just looked at the two razors which my initial research led me to focus on. No pressure!
:)
No problem at all chap. Happy to share my opinion.

They're both similar in the weight department but the Konsul is shorter. The Konsul also looks like a work of art and is built like a tank - it should be given it costs 5x more. That said, the Variant also appears to be well built.

Which do I prefer? Difficult one. I enjoyed both of them but had different expectations for each. The Variant surpassed my expectations and the Konsul didn't quite achieve them. That's not a slight on the Konsul - I had just assumed from first sight that it would be 'the one'.

What are currently shaving with and enjoying?

What are currently shaving with and enjoying?
I used the Variant 3 times on my face. But then I used a leaf razor on my head, and now have a beard. I may flit between shaving my face and my head, but I'm at a stage of my life where I need to decide what to do about my thinning hair. The leaf was absolutely foolproof on the first use. Shaving my face with the Variant requires a lot more honing of skill to avoid nicks and soreness it would seem. I may start shaving my face again to get past the beginner phase so that I can make more informed decisions. I suppose it's best (required?) to get the beard off with clippers before using the Variant.

Edit: maybe I should start a new thread or go to the 'general' thread?

I used the Variant 3 times on my face. But then I used a leaf razor on my head, and now have a beard. I may flit between shaving my face and my head, but I'm at a stage of my life where I need to decide what to do about my thinning hair. The leaf was absolutely foolproof on the first use. Shaving my face with the Variant requires a lot more honing of skill to avoid nicks and soreness it would seem. I may start shaving my face again to get past the beginner phase so that I can make more informed decisions. I suppose it's best (required?) to get the beard off with clippers before using the Variant.
You'll eventually master the technique of shaving your face. It was a painful bloodbath for most of us when we started. Theoretically you can take your beard of by winding the Variant up to 6 but it's unadvisable whilst you're still mastering your technique. Find a setting that's comfortable for you then keep using it until it becomes second nature. You'll then be able to use other razors with ease. I'd stay clear of the Konsul for now whilst you go on your journey.

You'll eventually master the technique of shaving your face. It was a painful bloodbath for most of us when we started. Theoretically you can take your beard of by winding the Variant up to 6 but it's unadvisable whilst you're still mastering your technique. Find a setting that's comfortable for you then keep using it until it becomes second nature. You'll then be able to use other razors with ease. I'd stay clear of the Konsul for now whilst you go on your journey.
Thank you ever so much.

Razor = Parker Varient
Blade = London Bridge ( 2 )
Brush = 26mm High Mountain Badger By Bobby Moffat
Soap = House Of Mammoth Damocles with matching balm
ETP = Victor & Rolf Spice Bomb Extreme
7F97B55F-FA69-4788-88B1-FAD2C6E20DD0.jpeg
First shave for me for 4 days i think lol
and a wonderful shave at that.
First time virgin on the Parker which was a pif win from paul @Blademonkey in collaboration with @Boycie83 :). Thanks Lads
just having a read through @Boycie83 posts i decided to stay on setting 3, which was comfortable & easy,
i reckon it’s one of these razors suited to beginners & experienced alike depending on settings used.
The Razor is very efficient and paired with the london Bridge it was a proper 3 pass bbs.
i can’t fault it at all but if i was to pick one downside it’s a tad heavy although not an issue in the slightest.
I have no ideas why i went for this soap today but i’m glad i did, the residual slickness on mammoth soaps is pretty much second to none,
i really need ot get some more.
Also decided to go with the Spice Bomb just so my wife would think it was her birthday again ;)
Over all a lovely 9/10 shave and i enjoyed every minute.
Stay Safe Boys

Back
Top Bottom