Merkur Progress vs Parker Variant

20221024_191401.jpg

We're not off to a great start here folks. A beautiful lather was the saving grace on a rough first pass. I know this isn't how the Progress shaves so I'm debating switching the blade out. Second pass was better. We'll call this a test run before the formal comparison begins.

Initial thoughts. This razor feels Featherlight after the Konsul. The chrome plating helps the razor glide effortlessly - aided by the MSC lather.

20221026_191130.jpg

There's the Progress I remember! A much better shave this time. Probably due to the fresh GSB I loaded.

My muscle memory has aligned with the weight of the Rex razors and I found myself applying a bit too much pressure during the shave. Not enough to be an issue but I'm being mindful of it. 2 passes completed for a nice finish. The razor continues to glide with ease.

I know it's a marmite thing but Iove the plastic knob on the Progress.

I bought a Digress with a brass knob in my early wet shaving days.
As lovely as it is, I now think the plastic knob is more iconic.
It's a retro razor and should have its retro knob. It looks great.
It has had a plastic knob since 1955 I believe and I congratulate Merkur for sticking with the tradition.

View attachment 95413

There's the Progress I remember! A much better shave this time. Probably due to the fresh GSB I loaded.

My muscle memory has aligned with the weight of the Rex razors and I found myself applying a bit too much pressure during the shave. Not enough to be an issue but I'm being mindful of it. 2 passes completed for a nice finish. The razor continues to glide with ease.

Lovely Razor the Progress , when I first saw one I thought the knob was old hat , but like you I love the look these days.

It is quite handsome with a brass knob though. I'd still go for plastic these days.

MerkurDigress.jpg

Other than aesthetics the swap to a metal adjustment knob changes the balance and how the razor handles. I have used the standard short handle and Mergress mod versions extensively and - in my opinion - the increase in weight and where the 'mid-point' lands makes an already great razor design even better. You had one didn't you? - I.

Sotd-12-04-22.png

Other than aesthetics the swap to a metal adjustment knob changes the balance and how the razor handles. I have used the standard short handle and Mergress mod versions extensively and - in my opinion - the increase in weight and where the 'mid-point' lands makes an already great razor design even better. You had one didn't you? - I.

View attachment 95425
That’s a gorgeous picture, sir…

I bought a Digress with a brass knob in my early wet shaving days.
As lovely as it is, I now think the plastic knob is more iconic.
It's a retro razor and should have its retro knob. It looks great.
It has had a plastic knob since 1955 I believe and I congratulate Merkur for sticking with the tradition.

View attachment 95425

@Digimonkey I., I did indeed own a Mergress. Beautiful razor and I also noticed the change in feeling from the weight distribution. Like @riverrun I settled upon the original and moved the Mergress on. That plastic knob!! :love:

20221028_145449.jpg

Final shave with the Progress and it was very nice. The GSB has two shaves on it so will be good for opening proceedings with the Variant.

I like the weight of the Progress. I like its aesthetics. I like how it shaves. I love that plastic knob. It's an everyman razor. Someone who dodges the forums and the associated rabbit holes could be happy with this razor for their entire life. Today you can pick one of these up new from @Agent Shave for just over £40 with our discount code. Rude not to at that price.

That's what I call Progress, baby!

View attachment 95517

Final shave with the Progress and it was very nice. The GSB has two shaves on it so will be good for opening proceedings with the Variant.

I like the weight of the Progress. I like its aesthetics. I like how it shaves. I love that plastic knob. It's an everyman razor. Someone who dodges the forums and the associated rabbit holes could be happy with this razor for their entire life. Today you can pick one of these up new from @Agent Shave for just over £40 with our discount code. Rude not to at that price.

That's what I call Progress, baby!
Merkur sales commission? I’m sold.

Back
Top Bottom