Merkur Futur problem?

Hi Everyone! Does anyone have extended experience with Merkur Futur? I tried it today after trying many other razors, and it was a very uncomfortable experience even on setting 1. It wanted to rip my face off, almost didn't want to glide and the blade itself rattled like a cobra snake. I triple-checked, everything was set on the razor correctly. Didn't experience such even with the most aggressive razor either so far... (Mühle R41). I used for this shave PAA cube as preshave with TOBS almond as shaving cream. Both of them worked well with other razors. It was so bad I had to switch to my Mühle R89 for shaving my other side. I had no problem with the Mühle, it glided very well so I suppose it wasn't a lather problem. Did I do something wrong or it is the razor?

Hi Everyone! Does anyone have extended experience with Merkur Futur? I tried it today after trying many other razors, and it was a very uncomfortable experience even on setting 1. It wanted to rip my face off, almost didn't want to glide and the blade itself rattled like a cobra snake. I triple-checked, everything was set on the razor correctly. Didn't experience such even with the most aggressive razor either so far... (Mühle R41). I used for this shave PAA cube as preshave with TOBS almond as shaving cream. Both of them worked well with other razors. It was so bad I had to switch to my Mühle R89 for shaving my other side. I had no problem with the Mühle, it glided very well so I suppose it wasn't a lather problem. Did I do something wrong or it is the razor?
Hi Athar i don’t have a futur however if your blade is rattling or what we would call chatter then it definitely isn’t in position correctly have a check, try it again & go over the process

Hi Athar i don’t have a futur however if your blade is rattling or what we would call chatter then it definitely isn’t in position correctly have a check, try it again & go over the process
Hi Mike! Thanks, will give it another go tomorrow. However, I heard it "click" into place, I don't what else can I check? The blade itself also looked nice and parallel.

I've just tested again, it clicks into place but when I hold the whole razor and try to rotate a little only the top cap, the blade under kind of making "cracking" sounds, no other razor I own does that. With a closer look, the blade maybe not even looks perfectly parallel, but it is hard to see with the naked eye. I Will test again tomorrow anyway with shaving. Maybe with another blade, however, the same blade works perfectly in another razor...

You haven't disassembled the razor for cleaning and put it back together incorrectly have you?
I remember some years ago there was talk of someone doing this to make their Futur more aggressive

You haven't disassembled the razor for cleaning and put it back together incorrectly have you?
I remember some years ago there was talk of someone doing this to make their Futur more aggressive
No haven't, used it the second time ever yesterday. The first time didn't manage to shave without this strange rattling sound either.

Try reassembling it using this video. If the shaves are still uncomfortable it may be that the Futur is too aggressive for you - it's a notoriously aggressive razor:

Thanks for this video, will try it. It seems that th razor is completly symmetric, so cannot reassamble it wrong? By the way I don't think it is the agreesivness, I have tried Muhle R41 and loved it. It is the rattling sound and the uncomfortable scraping almost painful feeling on the skin which bothers me. Even om setting 1... But will compare again today. One side with Futur on setting one, the other with R41.

I don't know anything about this razor but if it's new and has had blade chatter both times, could it be in some way defective, such that the top cap doesn't locate correctly?
I was thinking about the same. Because regardless it clicks into place with a very audible sound and looks OK, I still can "wiggle" a little to top cap sideways and the blade "creaks" under it giving out kind of "cracking" sounds... I don't think this is normal. Can someone test this please for me if you have Futur?

I was thinking about the same. Because regardless it clicks into place with a very audible sound and looks OK, I still can "wiggle" a little to top cap sideways and the blade "creaks" under it giving out kind of "cracking" sounds... I don't think this is normal. Can someone test this please for me if you have Futur?
Top cap movement isn't normal
Sounds like it's defective

That is what I ment. The top cap seems sitting stable and firm on the head but the blade creaks, craks under it. I have tried to mount the blade several other ways also, even putting into the top cap first. Same result.

That is what I ment. The top cap seems sitting stable and firm on the head but the blade creaks, craks under it. I have tried to mount the blade several other ways also, even putting into the top cap first. Same result.
That Blade gap looks massive @Athar what setting is it on for that?
It may need taking apart and resetting correctly. If it is new send it back.
Can you push the cap down to the base plate when it is assembled?, this may show the handle is not fully tightened against the baseplate.

Did you purchase the razor new or used? it may have been stripped and rebuilt incorrectly, as others have said - they are fairly easy strip down clean and reassemble. The cracking noise may be the top cap tightening down on the blade.
One last point, razors and blades are subjective, what works for others doesn't for some. I've had 5 Futur's over the years and never got on with them, just didn't click with me

That Blade gap looks massive @Athar what setting is it on for that?
It may need taking apart and resetting correctly. If it is new send it back.
Can you push the cap down to the base plate when it is assembled?, this may show the handle is not fully tightened against the baseplate.
It was on setting 1. No, I cannot push the cap down on that setting, so I suppose it is set correctly. It is new, but the sad story is I bought it in 2018. I was starting with wet shaving at that time, but after one try with that Futur and a Bluebeard's revenge cutlass, switched to electric shaver for couple years. I picked up wet shaving again this year a couple of weeks ago. I did so many things wrong with the 2018 tries, now I know I can do better, and have several other razors, soaps, creams. So back to the Futur, since it is already 3 years old, not sure if it covers the warranty. I will ask the shop where I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom