Closed Merkur Futur Pass Around

Good news! Dave spoke to the post office and it had been scheduled to a house 20 doors down from me. I've been there tonight and am now in possession of a very well packaged Merkur Futur.

I'll give it a go over the next few days and let you know how I get on :)

From SOTD (included here so it remains with the thread):

I decided to start with the razor at 2.5 (maximum is 6) and did 2 passes - WTG and XTG. I was pretty impressed, although it's a heavy beast. The shave was close enough that I decided I could get away without an ATG pass.

However, in typical fashion, I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to have a second XTG pass, this time with the razor cranked right up to 6. I won't bother again!! It's a vicious beastie with a bit of bite (slight nick under my nose to show). I could really feel the amount of blade it exposed.

Overall - a nice razor, if a bit clunky. I can also see why people are nervous about adjusting it with a blade in place. Bit of a daft design in all honesty!

Thanks for the chance to try it out Dick! Looking forwards to giving it another go tomorrow.

Hi all, I've been away on work this week so have kept the razor a little longer than I intended. All in all, I've really enjoyed the quality of shave I can get from it (although it was downright scary dialled all the way up) - so much so, that I've bought one off BST!

Anyway, I've PM'd Francorelli as he's next in line and I'll move it along over the weekend.

Dick - thanks again for the chance to try it. It's been a pleasure to shave with and I can definitely say that I wouldn't have bought one without this chance to try first.

Cheers
Stu

Can you please add me to the list. I'm very curious I have XL or XXL hands and would like to "Test the feel" of one on the face so to speak. As stated elsewhere on the forum, The last 10 days I've been using the Merkur 38C and find it so much better that the EJ 89, so my brain is saying heaver razor is for us.

Have fun! Hopefully you'll get on with as well as I do.

One thing I've noticed since receiving my replacement is that the mechanism is very stiff. My new one is really easy to turn. The docs that came with the new one mention that hard water can cause limescale build up in the mechanism and that a soak in a vinegar solution should sort it.

I'll look up the proper details when I get home and perhaps you can give it a go?

Yes, the mechanism does seem pretty stiff.

Happy to give it a vinegar soak to see if that loosens it up.

Although it is a larger razor than I would normally use, it does feel good in the hand, and looks real pretty too. Am very interested to see how it shaves.

Greetings

It is interesting what you say, it has always been a stiff old bugger since the day I bought it. You are more than welcome to try anything you like to loosen it up, I have tried most things without much success. Don't be afraid to try something radical in the belief you might harm it, I don't care much if it does, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Have fun.

Regards
Dick.
P.S. I do have very hard water.

I'm finished with the Futur now, and have PMed mr..bean to send it on to him.

I like certain aspects of the Futur: its streamlined looks, the flip-top opening, and the noise it makes. It's also given me some decent shaves.

Unfortunately, I found the balance point awkward, and combined with the overall bulk, it felt unwieldy in use. I went back to my EJ/Bulldog combo this morning and it felt so much more precise and well balanced.

Many thanks to Dick for this opportunity to try out the Futur.

Back
Top Bottom