Closed Merkur Futur Pass Around

Greetings

Would there be any interest/appetite in a pass around Merkur Futur? This razor was my introduction to traditional wet shaving many years ago and I think (you may disagree) that I could not have choose a worse razor to start DE shaving with, especially as I used it exclusively with Merkur blades for about five years!

Stop laughing you p**s taking buggers! If you are not a member of, or read any shaving forums and are naive enough to believe the adverts on a vendors site that this razor is the last word in shaving and to get the best from it you should always use Merkur blades why should you believe any different? Well at least I didn't!

Anyway this razor is laying unloved and neglected in the back of my razor drawer, I feel it is a harsh and unforgiving shaver but thousands of others disagree and love it.

This razor is special, inside the Futur is a little stop that cannot be seem from the outside that prevents the razor from being adjusted beyond the No. 6 setting. On this razor it is broken off (my heavy handedness) it affects nothing other than this razor can be adjusted eight full turns to a setting of 48 at which point the head falls off the handle! At about setting forty the blade gap is big enough to fit your whole bottom lip in, albeit the blade does waggle about quite a bit!

The razor is a heavy old devil, on my kitchen digital scales it weighs 126 grams.

If there is any interest let me say from the outset that I would only want anybody to post it by the very cheapest means possible and if it goes AWOL in the mail I am quite prepared to take it on the chin and will not lose one wink of sleep. I really cannot see me using it ever again. If it will fit in that small post office test gap (I am unable to recall the size) you can post it for the price of a stamp but as it is not a three piece razor I doubt this is possible.

Regards
Dick

DSC04348.JPG

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and I'm really struggling to like it. It's a nightmare to hold onto when the handle is wet. The head is so bulbous shaving properly under your nose is nigh on impossible. It's left me pretty raw and bloody most times I've used it.

But....

I gave it a trip out today with 2 days worth of stubble and really took my time. It's so heavy that you really have to concentrate on using the very lightest of touches. Set to 3 on the first WTG pass then 1.5 on the subsequent XTG and ATG passes. No need for touch ups, a very close shave, no weepers and just a hint of rawness when using the the alum. So, it's on probation. I think this is a weekend only razor for when I have all the time in the world and can perhaps have a shave free day after after using it. I'm still experimenting with blades and settings, but this is deffo not a razor to throw round your face when you're half asleep and late for work.

Good luck to those that try it, and share any tips for taming it!

Hey soupy, the Futur is my favourite razor and, yes, you are right, the utmost delicacy of touch is required. I always take care over angle of attack, have my futur set on 2.5 with Astra blades and take my time. It's so good for me now, I hardly ever use anything else.... But I did dig the thing into my nose more than once at first..... I guess I'm saying that you will find practice makes perfect. Hope you come to enjoy pal :)

Great idea Dick

This is probably my favourite razor at the moment. The noise it makes is brilliant!

You must have some seriously strong hands Dick.

That's a very nice offer Dick and if I didn't already have one and love it, I'd have wanted to give this a go! Incidentally I used my Future on 4 today with a Feather, but it wasn't great. Think me and the Feathers will not be getting together again as I have used them a few times in different razors, but never with any great results.

Edit: Sorry got side tracked and didn't finish my post properly. For anyone who hasn't tried this razor I urge you to give it an outing as it will bring the best out if whichever blade you use, just resist the temptation to dial it to 47!

Generous offer, I'm sure you will get some takers. The Merkur Futur was my first DE razor as well, I have no regrets at all about that. I have used many razors which I have bought and sold, I still have 2 futurs in the collection. I love them, I think they are brilliant razors.

I would definitely be up for a trial, if it does go ahead. I came very close to buying one in the early days before I heeded people's warnings to stick with what you've got for a bit. In the end, when the time came to buy an adjustable, I plumped for vintage and bought a Slim instead. However, a modern adjustable is an itch I'd still like to scratch!

Well Dick, another interesting pass around of yours,

I have to admit zero reference point as to how those shave, but they do look pretty interesting. And yeah, some people really like em.

Unlike the earlier R41 thread, this one probably won't be quite as entertaining to read about. Still, it's a nice gesture. I am out of this, but appreciate you making the offer.

Martin

I'm done with the Futur and will be posting it on to ChopperHarris later today. I am very glad to have tried it but I personally wouldn't buy one now. I found it a bit on the bulky side for under my nose and in the tight areas and I also found the blade loading mechanism a bit clunky. Quite tricky to get the blade on after popping the retaining cap off. I wondered if anyone had ever experienced wear in the springs retaining that cap as it could make the razor all but useless.

I quite liked the feel if it and the "heft" if you know what I mean but I much prefer my Mergress XL.

Thanks a million to Dick for starting this off and allowing us to try it and public apologies to Chopper for forgetting to include a packet of blades before I sealed the Jiffy bag. Incidentally,I have made a foam bed for the razor to sit in and hopefully this can be used for the rest of the pass around.

David

Hi Dick can I add my name to the list too please? I work away for 2 weeks at a time and I'm home for 3. I am happy to shuffle my place to suit the needs of the many. If that is ok by you?

Hi all, I'm afraid that the razor hasn't arrived with me yet, and it's now a week since posting. Things aren't looking great. I know that David has proof of posting, so hopefully it can still be recovered.

I'll wait until Monday and call out sorting office to make sure it isn't waiting there for me (but I haven't had a "while you were out" card).

I'm really sorry to say it, but it's looking like Dick's very generous offer has come to an untimely end.

Oh dear- that is not good, fingers crossed.

Should it turn up can I be included in the pass around please? I had one of these some time ago in my early days of DE shaving and couldn't get on with it. But now, with more experience, I would like to try one again!

Back
Top Bottom