Merkur being delivered tomorrow and my ingrown hairs!

sjedwardz said:
I've been DE shaving for about two years now, so not an expert but I do have some skill!
If I go against the grain on my neck I get like that, even with cartridges so I'd recommend no longer doing it. I'm never going to get baby smooth there so no longer bother. Also would put it down to using too much pressure, I hold my razor like I'm throwing a dart which means its much harder to apply the pressure.

Nice tip about the aspirin and honey by the way.:D

BEFORE.....

SDC10178.jpg

AFTER!!! (1tsp honey warmed up with 6 aspirin crushed and mixed together. Rub on area and let dry for 10 mins , rinse off!!!)

SDC10180.jpg

Long post alert:

I'm convinced your bad experience was down to three factors; going ATG, poor, bubbly, wet lather, and blade angle and/or pressure.
For what it's worth (I've been DE shaving for about 14 months), I think you need to think about a few technique modifications. I don't claim to be an expert, but I found these areas very important when I took up DE shaving. Firstly, you need to check the mantic59 Youtube videos, especially those on lathering. A good cream, such as Palmolive (my favourite budget cream) is easy to lather with a half-decent brush as long a you do it correctly. Squeeze more water out of the brush and swirl for about 30 seconds, which should give you a thick, dry "proto-lather". Then, drip a few drops of water from your fingertips into the bowl and swirl for another 30 seconds. Repeat a couple of times and you'll see the lather build, become glossy and all visible bubbles disappear. Pull the brush vertically out of the bowl and you should see a peak of lather on the end of the hairs of the brush. Gently shake the brush, bristles up, and watch the peak If it collapses, the lather is too wet and/or needs more mixing. If it's short and doesn't move, it's a touch too dry - add a 2 or 3 more drips of water and keep mixing. What you want is a peak that wobbles slightly, that curves at the end, but doesn't collapse. Then, take some of the lather between your thumb and forefinger, and rub them together. The lather should feel slippery and protective, and should prevent you from feeling the texture of your fingerprints. Do this a few times without shaving - Palmolive is cheap and it's no waste if you're learning. Get used to the way the lather builds and changes as more water is added.

Once you've got the lather sorted, your next consideration is preparing the beard growth. Either shave just after a hot shower, or soak a flannel in hot water (properly hot, not merely warm), squeeze the excess out and hold it against your face and neck for at least two minutes, re-wetting it as it cools. I can soon tell when I've not properly prepped my face as I get the same tugging sensation you mentioned.

Next (and last) is using the razor properly. Don't grip it with too many fingers, and don't hold it up near the head end. Place your little finger under the end of the handle and support the handle between your thumb and first two fingers. Don't grip is, cradle it. Rest your ring finger on the handle if you want but don't use it to actually hold the razor. To get the right blade angle, hold the razor against your cheek with the handle horizontal (parallel with the floor). Very slowly slide it down your face whilst lowering the end of the handle. As soon as you feel the blade touch your skin, stop, and look at the angle of the razor in the mirror. Try to replicate that angle when you shave. Finally, (and this will be easier if you hold the razor as I described), don't apply any pressure from your hand through the razor. Literally just let it rest on your face with the weight of the razor head. Get used to how that feels so that you can replicate that under the chin when gravity is tending to force the razor away from your face; in that case, you do have to apply a tiny bit of pressure to maintain contact between blade and face, but no more than you felt as you rested it on your face.

Good luck, and sorry for the long post, but these things aren't easy to explain.

chrisbell said:
Long post alert:

I'm convinced your bad experience was down to three factors; going ATG, poor, bubbly, wet lather, and blade angle and/or pressure.
For what it's worth (I've been DE shaving for about 14 months), I think you need to think about a few technique modifications. I don't claim to be an expert, but I found these areas very important when I took up DE shaving. Firstly, you need to check the mantic59 Youtube videos, especially those on lathering. A good cream, such as Palmolive (my favourite budget cream) is easy to lather with a half-decent brush as long a you do it correctly. Squeeze more water out of the brush and swirl for about 30 seconds, which should give you a thick, dry "proto-lather". Then, drip a few drops of water from your fingertips into the bowl and swirl for another 30 seconds. Repeat a couple of times and you'll see the lather build, become glossy and all visible bubbles disappear. Pull the brush vertically out of the bowl and you should see a peak of lather on the end of the hairs of the brush. Gently shake the brush, bristles up, and watch the peak If it collapses, the lather is too wet and/or needs more mixing. If it's short and doesn't move, it's a touch too dry - add a 2 or 3 more drips of water and keep mixing. What you want is a peak that wobbles slightly, that curves at the end, but doesn't collapse. Then, take some of the lather between your thumb and forefinger, and rub them together. The lather should feel slippery and protective, and should prevent you from feeling the texture of your fingerprints. Do this a few times without shaving - Palmolive is cheap and it's no waste if you're learning. Get used to the way the lather builds and changes as more water is added.

Once you've got the lather sorted, your next consideration is preparing the beard growth. Either shave just after a hot shower, or soak a flannel in hot water (properly hot, not merely warm), squeeze the excess out and hold it against your face and neck for at least two minutes, re-wetting it as it cools. I can soon tell when I've not properly prepped my face as I get the same tugging sensation you mentioned.

Next (and last) is using the razor properly. Don't grip it with too many fingers, and don't hold it up near the head end. Place your little finger under the end of the handle and support the handle between your thumb and first two fingers. Don't grip is, cradle it. Rest your ring finger on the handle if you want but don't use it to actually hold the razor. To get the right blade angle, hold the razor against your cheek with the handle horizontal (parallel with the floor). Very slowly slide it down your face whilst lowering the end of the handle. As soon as you feel the blade touch your skin, stop, and look at the angle of the razor in the mirror. Try to replicate that angle when you shave. Finally, (and this will be easier if you hold the razor as I described), don't apply any pressure from your hand through the razor. Literally just let it rest on your face with the weight of the razor head. Get used to how that feels so that you can replicate that under the chin when gravity is tending to force the razor away from your face; in that case, you do have to apply a tiny bit of pressure to maintain contact between blade and face, but no more than you felt as you rested it on your face.

Good luck, and sorry for the long post, but these things aren't easy to explain.

Chris I feel the urge to reply as I am in awe at the Brevity of this post, it needs to be re posted at the earliest opportunity. :angel::angel:
Regards,
Pete

ps Happy New Year

chrisbell said:
Firstly, you need to check the mantic59 Youtube videos, especially those on lathering.

With the only caveat that his soap lathering technique sucks. His 3 second swirl on the soap wouldn't shave a gnat's scrotum.

This bloke does it better. The same principles apply for cream; more product, more water, more working up.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVedZ3wf2k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

man of leisure said:
Chris I feel the urge to reply as I am in awe at the Brevity of this post, it needs to be re posted at the earliest opportunity. :angel::angel:
Regards,
Pete

ps Happy New Year

Yes, I did expect a cheeky response from the wilds of Berkshire!:icon_razz:
Seriously, it seemed to me that the OP was in need of an in-depth guide.

Drubbing said:
chrisbell said:
Firstly, you need to check the mantic59 Youtube videos, especially those on lathering.

With the only caveat that his soap lathering technique sucks. His 3 second swirl on the soap wouldn't shave a gnat's scrotum.

This bloke does it better. The same principles apply for cream; more product, more water, more working up.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FVedZ3wf2k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

I agree, but it does work for him.

Tend to agree with you as it goes Chris hence my post on the subject a page back. With out a doubt the lather issues and the ATG was a major factor in the carnage that ensued, I hope his neck is improving. Glad you have now got a handle on my sense of humor.
Regards,
Pete

pps still A Happy New Year to you

Well......

Ive had a shave today with the EJ89 with the feather blade and made sure i lathered for 2 mins aprox so the lather was nice and thick and bouncy compared to before. ALso i made a mental note to keep the blade at roughly 30 degrees at all times and....

NOT A SINGLE NICK, CUT, SCRAPE OR BURN!!

Im so happy i could jump in the air. I made sure i put the lightest touch on and just did 1 pass and yes its not the closest shave ive ever had but its not far off and it feels fantastic not to feel burn or iritation after a shave.

Who knows if it was the derby blade or my technique that cut me bad last time but todays shave has been perfect!!

I think im going to stick with 1 pass for a few months and then do 2 passes until im nick free and then do across the grain and against the grain to get a super close shave, once my technique is very good.

Thanks for all the tips!

Matt

mattprince said:
Well......

Ive had a shave today with the EJ89 with the feather blade and made sure i lathered for 2 mins aprox so the lather was nice and thick and bouncy compared to before. ALso i made a mental note to keep the blade at roughly 30 degrees at all times and....

Im so happy i could jump in the air. I made sure i put the lightest touch on and just did 1 pass and yes its not the closest shave ive ever had but its not far off and it feels fantastic not to feel burn or iritation after a shave.

Who knows if it was the derby blade or my technique that cut me bad last time but todays shave has been perfect!!

I think im going to stick with 1 pass for a few months and then do 2 passes until im nick free and then do across the grain and against the grain to get a super close shave, once my technique is very good.

Thanks for all the tips!

Matt

Well done! I'm glad you've got a result, I went through a similar experience to you, although not as bad. (My Merkur Futur savaged my ear:icon_eek:)

One thing to watch out for, over the next few weeks it is very easy to get over confident and all the hard earned, hard learned knowledge insidiously slides away........ I found I was shaving in about half the time and quality was falling off. I have got into the habit of making shave time "my time" and setting aside about 3/4 of an hour to shower and shave. (To think I used to be the guy who could get in, make a cuppa, have a dump shower shave and be back out in about ten minutes.........)

I'm having to re-learn technique all over again as I have started straight shaving. My lathers were good enough for a DE shave but not good enough for a straight shave.

Still stick with it Matt, your getting there!

I think it also helped that i had a mirror in front of me so i wasnt straining and balancing on 1 leg like before. Its been 100% better than before!

Matt

Well done Matt.

By the way, people keep telling you its far cheaper, which is obviously very very true.

Until you just keep buying blades, razors, creams, soaps and bowls etc etc etc

mattprince said:
Well......

Thanks for all the tips!

Matt

Well Matt, it's like I always say: If someone can't shave properly with a Feather blade by the second or third shave, then the guy's an idiot. All that BS some of us were tossing around about all those things that could go wrong.......total nonsense as you now see. Heh, just having some good natured fun is all. I would now suggest finding a razor with a little more bite so you get an even closer shave. Hmmm, maybe a Gillette Old Type of some kind would be good.

Far as your idea of just doing one pass for a few months goes.........excellent idea! You don't wanna rush into anything. Matter of fact, one WTG pass should be all anyone needs for a BBS face.

Dodgy

Oh crap.....I just noticed a tinge of facetiousness crept into my post. New guys get one heads up.

Back
Top Bottom