Merkur being delivered tomorrow and my ingrown hairs!

More is more as far as the Men-U shaving cream is concerned, especially when using a new boar brush. You'll probably be disappointed with the quality of lather at first. You might want to nip out and get a tube of Palmolive cream to begin with.

I learned to shave using a futur, and it was hard going but worth it in the end. With hindsight I would keep it set at 1 and use the lightest of touches, as others have said absolutely no pressure. You will get a close shave on this setting, just don't expect too much too soon.

Let us know how you get on.

Having reread it I see it's an adjustable you're waiting on. I was going to offer you the loan of my 34c to tide you over. If you wanted to come over and get it you'd be welcome, it's getting no use as I'm obsessed with the Artist Club at the moment. Unfortunately it'd be a pretty narrow window as I'm not around much over the next week or so.

PM me if you want, or not if you don't :).

Thats taking a long time to deliver...I ordered a Merkur 33c from NKDman late on Sunday evening 18th Dec...got an email Monday to say it was in the post.....and it arrived here yesterday morning Wednesday the 21st Dec...even with the Christmas rush...It had free special Christmas offer postage as well....

Hope yours turns up soon

GOLDCREST said:
Thats taking a long time to deliver...I ordered a Merkur 33c from NKDman late on Sunday evening 18th Dec...got an email Monday to say it was in the post.....and it arrived here yesterday morning Wednesday the 21st Dec...even with the Christmas rush...It had free special Christmas offer postage as well....

Hope yours turns up soon

I dont believe for a second that it has been sent! Ive been refunded today , i dont know of a company that would refund you when something is in the post to you. Wont shop there again thats for sure. I think i might just try a wilkinson sword classic in the mean time whilst im waiting for my refund and then upgrade as and when.

Matt

Thats a great shame Matt...not a good start....Try Connought..Paul who runs it is a member on here and has fantastic delivery as does the above mentioned NKD man..I've bought several items from them both and always excellent + service

i have a Futur and have just got another for my son...my Futur is the shiny chrome one and I've never had any slipping problems with the finish...just dry your hands before shaving....one thing I would say is to either do the adjustment before you put a blade in...or hold the head in a towel if a blade is in as the adjustment is quite stiff..and if the razor slips you'll slice your thumb like a sausage....not a nice thought.....

Brilliant razor though..I use mine set almost permanently on 2.5 which is just about right for me..I wouldn't want to go to any higher setting as i've seen advocated on some other forums...I also find, if I've had a "bad "shave for whatever reason...and we all get bad shaves now and again...my razor of choice 'til things settle down is always the Futur set at 1.5 or 2...

My blade of choice for the Futur are Gillette Yellows, as I find those a nice compromise of smoothness and sharpness.....they may not be right for you...but you will find the ideal blade combination eventually..all part of the fun..

Sorry to hear you haven't got it yet.
I'd echo much of the above advice. The Merkur Futur was my first DE razor (well apart from a brief trial over 20 years ago which stopped when I dropped it on the floor ....but I digress)
Set it on 1.
Do not shave against the grain.
That way you should avoid the ingrowing hairs. As you grow more confident you can increase the aggressiveness slowly. Mine is on 3. As mentioned above 2-3 is probably fine for most men.

The only real accident I had with mine was when I tried to change the setting with a blade in place and my hands covered in Cella soap. My hands slipped and I needed a trip to casualty to stem the bleeding.:icon_cry2::icon_cry2:
Ideally do NOT change the setting with a blade in place. If you do, be extremely careful.

It is a lovely piece of kit. Enjoy.

GOLDCREST said:
Thats a great shame Matt...not a good start....Try Connought..Paul who runs it is a member on here and has fantastic delivery as does the above mentioned NKD man..I've bought several items from them both and always excellent + service

i have a Futur and have just got another for my son...my Futur is the shiny chrome one and I've never had any slipping problems with the finish...just dry your hands before shaving....one thing I would say is to either do the adjustment before you put a blade in...or hold the head in a towel if a blade is in as the adjustment is quite stiff..and if the razor slips you'll slice your thumb like a sausage....not a nice thought.....

Brilliant razor though..I use mine set almost permanently on 2.5 which is just about right for me..I wouldn't want to go to any higher setting as i've seen advocated on some other forums...I also find, if I've had a "bad "shave for whatever reason...and we all get bad shaves now and again...my razor of choice 'til things settle down is always the Futur set at 1.5 or 2...

My blade of choice for the Futur are Gillette Yellows, as I find those a nice compromise of smoothness and sharpness.....they may not be right for you...but you will find the ideal blade combination eventually..all part of the fun..

Paul_D said:
Sorry to hear you haven't got it yet.
I'd echo much of the above advice. The Merkur Futur was my first DE razor (well apart from a brief trial over 20 years ago which stopped when I dropped it on the floor ....but I digress)
Set it on 1.
Do not shave against the grain.
That way you should avoid the ingrowing hairs. As you grow more confident you can increase the aggressiveness slowly. Mine is on 3. As mentioned above 2-3 is probably fine for most men.

The only real accident I had with mine was when I tried to change the setting with a blade in place and my hands covered in Cella soap. My hands slipped and I needed a trip to casualty to stem the bleeding.:icon_cry2::icon_cry2:
Ideally do NOT change the setting with a blade in place. If you do, be extremely careful.

It is a lovely piece of kit. Enjoy.

Cheers for the advice. Ive just actually had a shave with a disposable but with the palmolive stick and it was loads better than normal. Still sore around the bottom of the neck but not as much as normal. Im going to go out today and get a wilkinson classic to try and then if it does work out a better shave , then ill rebuy the merkur

Matt

Welcome. I'd advise you to try a fixed design initially rather than an adjustable. I normally recommend the Merkur 34c, sometimes called the HD, but, as you have problems with soreness and ingrowns, maybe a milder razor such as the Edwin Jagger DE89 might be a better choice.

Otherwise, I'd second two comments from other members - use no pressure other than the weight of the razor, and watch mantic59's Youtube videos which are a great resource for those new to single-blade shaving.

The Shaving Room: 10 % off D R Harris @ connaughtshaving.com (by Paul)
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=10553&pid=143714#pid143714
Please enter this code in the shopping basket: TSR10DRH Code for all D R Harris items, ends October 31st. 10 % discount off ex vat price.
9647KGK25702FGFJ1.jpg

Connaught shaving has always been prompt and fair with delivery and prices. And I live a lot further away!

The English Shaving Company deliver by first class post. Alternatively, order from Amazon (slightly older models but still the same head, same good shave) with varying delivery options. Both dispatch the goods rapidly, just depends which model you want to go for.

Back
Top Bottom