Meissner tremonia dark limes shaving soap

pjgh said:
Start with something a little more conventional, Kul.

Dark Limes really is excellent and truly deserving of the 'Dark' in its title. Indian Flavour is lovely and cooling with a light spice waft, Lavender Deluxe is indeed deluxe, Himalayan Heights and Pink Grapefruit are lighter (to my nose), Mint Ice Menthol is a pack of Trebor done in one with a pack of Fisherman's Friends dropped in mid-chew! Salty Sea Sage is stronger but still a nice light scent.

If I could get Meißner Tremonia to do a Dark Rose, I'd be very happy indeed ... but, apparently, Germans view chaps wearing rose scents with deep suspicion. Maybe persuade him to start a women's shaving line with that one :D
So here's the dilemma, knowing Pauls tastes do I go on his recommendation? [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Well this time I took the risk and ordered the dark lime.

See how I get on with this one before I look at the others.

Cheers Paul.

There are some "lost in translation" moments, not to mention the odd mis-spelling, like 'Himalayan Heighs' and Scottish "whiskey" on the 'Strong & Scottish' :D

Indian Flavour is not curry, it's coriander, quite fresh and counterpointed with lemongrass. Cooling, too, with a little mint, but not chilling. Think raita and a bottle of Cobra.

Himalayan Heigh(t)s is more Indian with a lovely scent of freshly sawn cedar, pure Uttar Pradesh.

Very quick from Connaughts, samples of dark limes, black beer and exotic elmi. I now see what you guys mean about not knowing if its either sweet lime or zesty lime. Its a bit of both with an earthy note too. Not bad scented and the lather was unusual in that it was clumpy never seen that happen before.
Other two scents im not sure about exotic elmi has way too much what seems to be a herbal coriander tone. Dislike. The black beer i was hoping for a full bodied dark ale fragrance, its not its unusual, strange and interesting all rolled into one.

How did you use the sample, Nish? Was it a soft paste or shaved hard soap? With the soft paste, scoop a little out and smear it into the bottom of a bowl or between your palms and onto a wet face for face lathering; the hard soap should be pressed into a small tub or onto a plate before loading. Perhaps you got a clump of product in there.

Granted, the lather is immediately firmer than most, certainly less foamy.

They are fun twists, though, the scents ... you certainly don't get what you think you'll get, but something like, only more so and with it, a real spin :D

Nishy said:
Very quick from Connaughts, samples of dark limes, black beer and exotic elmi. I now see what you guys mean about not knowing if its either sweet lime or zesty lime. Its a bit of both with an earthy note too. Not bad scented and the lather was unusual in that it was clumpy never seen that happen before.
Other two scents im not sure about exotic elmi has way too much what seems to be a herbal coriander tone. Dislike. The black beer i was hoping for a full bodied dark ale fragrance, its not its unusual, strange and interesting all rolled into one.

I found Wickhams to be clumpy when I used it?

Nishy said:
samples of dark limes. the lather was unusual in that it was clumpy never seen that happen before.

I know of two soaps like that, if we are talking about the same thing. The lather is thicker than usual, with some small light 'curds' floating around in the mix. Almost meringue like texture to those.

That sound about right?

Got my puck of Dark Limes today as well. Earthy is a good description. Sort of a limey Eucris. (To me anyway).

Will do a test lather later.

dodgy said:
Nishy said:
samples of dark limes. the lather was unusual in that it was clumpy never seen that happen before.

I know of two soaps like that, if we are talking about the same thing. The lather is thicker than usual, with some small light 'curds' floating around in the mix. Almost meringue like texture to those.

That sound about right?
Spot on! You can actually see the dark green colour as striations in the lather. Very slick lather which is nice. Only test lathered so not sure how the 'curdling' would affect the shave.

Nishy said:
... The black beer i was hoping for a full bodied dark ale fragrance, its not its unusual, strange and interesting all rolled into one.

The Black Beer seems like it would the best suited for me. While not really a fan of beer in the morning (hair/stubble of the dog) the other elements of the scent sound great "spicy, dark, citrusy, rosemary & lemongrass".
When you say interesting, is that interesting meh or interesting hmmm?
Can it be compared to other weird scents like Tabula Rasa's Steampunk or Herbs?

fancontroller said:
Nishy said:
... The black beer i was hoping for a full bodied dark ale fragrance, its not its unusual, strange and interesting all rolled into one.

The Black Beer seems like it would the best suited for me. While not really a fan of beer in the morning (hair/stubble of the dog) the other elements of the scent sound great "spicy, dark, citrusy, rosemary & lemongrass".
When you say interesting, is that interesting meh or interesting hmmm?
Can it be compared to other weird scents like Tabula Rasa's Steampunk or Herbs?
Hi fancontroller, it is the absolute opposite of tabula rasa's gorgeous soapy cologne type steampunk. It also isn't as crisp or fresh herb as say simpsons rosemary & peppermint. Its dark heavy on the spice and lemongrass. What I meant before was really that I don't like it. It is too heavy for me without the balance to be able to appreciate other notes only a heavy lemongrass and a spice that isn't very pleasant to me. I love ale and have had quite a few dark ales this is doesn't replicate even the heavy spiced full bodied ales.

Got 3 samples from Connaughts today. Dark Lime, Black Beer No 1 and Strong 'n' Scottish. I went for the paste as I'm struggling with soaps (our South East London is harder than the White Cliffs of Dover). First lathering attempt with Dark Lime wasn't too good, either too much (hard) water or too little soap or rubbish soap. I can't tell yet and willI find out over the next few days and report back.
Occams Razor said:
Can anyone compare Meissner tremonia dark limes to Castle Forbes lime for performance and fragrance?
The dark lime is pleasant enough and limey in a complex way but the Castle Forbes is fresh and clean. I love the simplicity of it. Nothing beats Castle Forbes for performance. No way the Tremonia will replace the Castle Forbes,
The other two I have only sniffed. Black Beer smells pleasant and I'm looking forward to trying it in a few days time.
Strong 'n' Scottish. Well.... OMG. I love the smell. Like a concentrated Islay whisky. Peat, peat, peat. Strong, strong, strong. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
pjgh said:
... oh, if Strong & Scottish ever makes it to an aftershave I will be first in line!
No need to wait. Get yourself a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and splash it on your face. Job done. And as an aftershave a bottle of Lagavulin is instantly good value. Not sure if I want to smell of Islay whisky first thing in the morning though.

Andreas

Back
Top Bottom