Martin De Candre - Unscented!

Hi folks,

A couple or three weeks ago, I got some MdC soap. As I enjoy everything simple and unfragranced, I went for their unscented version over the regular lavender type.

Very impressive indeed. All the way from placing the order with them to the communication and delivery. Packaging was a delight, sent in a strong box and the pucks themselves were in a nice cardboard box which was wrapped up like an onion. The heavy glass jar is a classy touch too. But the real joy is in use.

I read about this stuff not needing much product to make a lather and it is indeed comical. A few swirls on the puck and it makes an amount of lather I still cannot get my head around. And it's not light fluffy rubbish either, this stuff has body to it. It's every bit as rich and lubricating as Tabac which would have been my most impressive lather until this arrived.

On the skin, well, perfect. It gives great razor glide, isn't drying during the shave, and the shave has no irritation or redness. And if anyone would have skin problems, it's me.

I feel very lucky now (although it was a long road, God knows how many I tried and gave up on!) to have found several soaps which agree with me and then impress.

• Taylors of Old Bond Street 'Jermyn Street'.
  • Institut Karite.
  • MWF.
  • Fitjar 'Shea Pleasure'.
  • Martin de Candre unscented.
  • & Tabac.

Mark

Thanks Dipesh. I'm happy to hear it's working well for you too, mate.

For me, the challenge now is to keep to my selections and not go off the rails with additional purchases...... :blush:

Mark

MdC is truly some amazing soap. Makes my other soaps pale in comparison. And I'm comparing it to the heavy hitters in the triple milled world:

DRH
MWF
Tabac (used it all up and won't be buying more because of the scent)
Mike's Naturals

I love Martin de Candre too. I have the scented version. It's without a doubt the best soap out there and makes other soaps look like they're part of a Barbie doll make-up set.

Some other good ones that I like:

Creed shaving soaps
Tabac soap
Palmolive stick
Castle Forbes soap/creams

Helveticum said:
Yep. This is as good as it gets for me (haven't tried Santa Maria Novella though). But, to be honest, Speick and Tabac are damn close.

H. I tried the Speick because you were always posting how good it is, but I can't get anywhere near the volume I get from MdeC - I live in a hard water area. Having said, that, the Speick is in stick form so maybe I'm just not getting enough on the brush. Any suggestions - should I maybe shread it into a bowl?

Hi Rob, I use both cream and shave stick and both produce fantastic and copious lather (cream IS faster to lather though, as you'd expect). I live in London, so water's pretty hard here too. Now, personally I only use the shave stick for face lathering (and, admittedly, Speick and Tabac sticks are the only ones I can use for that - La Toja failed, for instance, as well as some others), so in your case it may be possible that you're just not getting enough soap onto the brush by rubbing it. But if you're not using it like that then you're right and it may be a good idea to grate it into some container (I use THESE, but you might want something larger if you've got a big brush) to make sure you're loading the brush sufficiently.

P.S. I will admit though that MdC does lather a bit faster (fastest of them all, in fact).

I've been getting on so well with my unscented Martin de Candre soap that I decided to order my first scented product in a couple of years earlier this evening, their regular lavender shaving soap.

I'm really looking forward to trying this one out. All being well, it'll go straight into my soap rotation and should be a pleasant smelling change from my usual fragrance free stuff... :)

Mark

Hmmm.

I am getting more tempted by the day to get some MdeC.

My favourite soaps are Tabac, MWF and anything from Mike...and I have oh about 7 years worth in my press...but...maybe I should just give in an grab me that brain bowl thing I've been lingering over.

Back
Top Bottom