Maggie Thatcher Passes Away.

So possibly the last Prime Minister of conviction in Britain is no more, admire her or loathe her, in our current era of political clones is there any chance we'll ever again see this country led by a statesperson who does really believe in what they say rather than trimming their policies to the prevailing winds of opinion.

JohnnyO.

RE: Lady Thatcher Passes Away.

What a dramatic period of politics she took us through. Easy to focus on the negatives but I wonder who else would have had the bottle to achieve what she did that will be of lasting benefit to this country and the world.

Without wanting to turn this into another political thread - I agree with Johnny. My abiding memory of her era is that it recognised the destructive power of rampant inflation and knew that it had to take on the unions to end the self defeating cycle of huge wage increases fueling the problem.

I'm not crass enough to say I feel celebratory about her passing, I don't, but I won't be mourning. I wouldn't deny she had personal qualities that in many ways are lacking in today's politicians, and undeniably made her a very effective leader, but she, or the government she led, was also the architect of many of the social and economic problems we face today.

Not meaning to turn this into a political thread at all...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jn8K8EA7-Q[/video]

The woman had more balls than any male PM that I've ever seen.

She screwed a great many people, but at least she told them first.

Ian

Re: Lady Thatcher Passes Away.

A sad day she really did say what she thought. Shame there aren't more like her.

On a slightly different note, I'm watching the news and they're asking all-and-sundry what they think of her. Shame Michael Winner died recently too because I'm sure they would've asked him what he thought.

Anyway, a great shame. I wonder if there will be another like her in my lifetime?

MarkDifferential said:
A sad day she really did say what she thought. Shame there aren't more like her.

On a slightly different note, I'm watching the news and they're asking all-and-sundry what they think of her. Shame Michael Winner died recently too because I'm sure they would've asked him what he thought.

Anyway, a great shame. I wonder if there will be another like her in my lifetime?

Well we need someone of her ilk in terms of political leadership, but on the other side of the political divide, to get us out of the present mess. Not holding my breath.

I'm not that much of a political animal but I grew up in Sheffield through the 70s and 80s and we suffered greatly under the Conservatives so I won't be mourning her passing.

Antad you would receive a knight hood in Wales for showing that video, I wondered why there were so many people smiling when I walked through town today, now I realise they must have heard the news before me.

Jamie

she aint no fucking lady...rest in fucking pieces...ya auld witch

Anyone old enough to remember the era (and some of the posts are childish enough to suggest they are not), would do well to read a book called Seasons in the Sun - and remind themselves what a laughing stock this country had become under successive mis-management from both sides of the political divide.

Margaret Thatcher played a huge part in getting the country back on track.

It would be nice if any further posts would bear than in mind.

Back
Top Bottom