Loose Leaf tea brewing

Just want to give www.imperialteas.co.uk a shout, based in Lincoln and with a great selection. They also do tea tasting sessions on a weekend if you happen to be in Lincoln were you can taste 2 - 3 teas over cake in there shop.

They do there own coffee as well.

I tried "Dirty Chai" yesterday. I'll definitely try it again, but ,,?!.
Really don't know what to think, my senses have been totally 'weirded' (if that's a word).
Black tea(bag), a little masala, milk and a shot of expresso(Java).
Not an April fool, but I think it may have originated that way!! - I'm posting Bovril and Ovaltine as a traditional brew on an Indonesian forum as payback!
love'n'joy

The Geordie Shaver said:
Frankieabbott said:
I have fond memories as a bairn of the Ringtons van in it's black green and gold livery driving around the streets circa 1966 and bringing their teas to the door. Me kicking my football around in the street and the driver telling me to keep practicing...or else I would only be good enough to play for Sunderland!!!! Happy days.
Ringtons still delivers around the Mother in laws , still the same livery on the vans and the lad carries a wicker basket with a selection of teas and biccies , the caramel wafers are my favourite
Regards
Derrick
P.S. PG Tips pyramid bags for me , nothing too sophisticated in our household , just so long as its good for dunking

Ringtons still do a fortnightly door-to-door service up here too. Very good teas.

I'm rather fond of Co-op 99 tea also; most excellent and probably the only thing worth buying from the "store."

Ids said:
Just want to give www.imperialteas.co.uk a shout, based in Lincoln and with a great selection. They also do tea tasting sessions on a weekend if you happen to be in Lincoln were you can taste 2 - 3 teas over cake in there shop.

They do there own coffee as well.

Thanks for the link ,Ids - nice one. Their Ist Flush Darjeeling list is very impressive! The new season's should be here sometime soon.

Any Lapsang Souchong lovers here?

£25 for 50g is why I say 'lovers' and not 'drinkers'.

http://www.rareteacompany.com/shop/5/limited-edition-speciality-tea/68/lapsang-souchong

Just bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Teapot-Strainer-Infuser-Filter-2-Sizes-Available-Coffee-Tea-/110810649834?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&var=&hash=item5f7995cccb#ht_1049wt_952 after having seen them in a local cafe. Seem to get great reviews everywhere and these are half the price of anywhere else I have seen them.

Will report back when it arrives and I have tested it.

Being a tea drinker 99% of my time, and someone who as always used a teapot but for loose tea a coffee cafetiere works perfectly well, but looking at your ebay purchase i'm going to pull the trigger on one myself.

Jamie

Bechet45 said:

http://www.rareteacompany.com/shop/5/limited-edition-speciality-tea/68/lapsang-souchong

I bang on about them but Jing do a damn fine cup of tea, this is their 'basic' Lapsang http://jingtea.com/tea/type/black/organic-bohea-lapsang

Comes in a hell of a lot cheaper but brews up really nicely, super smoky and only a touch of kipper, the way it should be :D

brinechild said:
Bechet45 said:

I bang on about them but Jing do a damn fine cup of tea, this is their 'basic' Lapsang http://jingtea.com/tea/type/black/organic-bohea-lapsang

Comes in a hell of a lot cheaper but brews up really nicely, super smoky and only a touch of kipper, the way it should be :D

I'm on it.

Always causes offence at work.

Coincidentally, I just finished a cup of smokey bacon tea (well, that's what it reminds me of). Used to drink it quite regularly years ago, seems to have become hard to find the loose leaf black version. Until I read this thread that is. Thank you, you damned tea-enabling gentlemen. :icon_razz:
Next on the list, loose leaf black jasmine.

KRF1963 said:
Just bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Teapot-Strainer-Infuser-Filter-2-Sizes-Available-Coffee-Tea-/110810649834?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&var=&hash=item5f7995cccb#ht_1049wt_952 after having seen them in a local cafe. Seem to get great reviews everywhere and these are half the price of anywhere else I have seen them.

OK, this arrived today and I must say for a tenner it is a nice piece of kit. I gave it a quick wash out and then brewed up a cup of Pai Mu Tan which also turned up today along with a number of other samples from Ebay.

I am generally a Tetley bag in a mug kinda guy but have occasionally dabbled with loose leaf tea using one of them double spoon strainer thingies so I am no expert.

In use it is simplicity itself, a couple of teaspoons of leaves in the strainer followed by some off the boil water and leave for a minute or so. Press the button to release the brew into the bottom chamber and repeat for second brewing.

Result - one lovely refreshing mug of white tea, very nice. I have left the leaves in the brewer to try and rebrew later as seems to be the advice on various sites.

All in all a nice convenient way to brew leaf tea. However, the brew chamber is quite small on these and you would really need one of these per person or spen a lot of time re-brewing.

Well worth a tenner in my opinion.

KRF1963 said:
KRF1963 said:

OK, this arrived today and I must say for a tenner it is a nice piece of kit. I gave it a quick wash out and then brewed up a cup of Pai Mu Tan which also turned up today along with a number of other samples from Ebay.

I am generally a Tetley bag in a mug kinda guy but have occasionally dabbled with loose leaf tea using one of them double spoon strainer thingies so I am no expert.

In use it is simplicity itself, a couple of teaspoons of leaves in the strainer followed by some off the boil water and leave for a minute or so. Press the button to release the brew into the bottom chamber and repeat for second brewing.

Result - one lovely refreshing mug of white tea, very nice. I have left the leaves in the brewer to try and rebrew later as seems to be the advice on various sites.

All in all a nice convenient way to brew leaf tea. However, the brew chamber is quite small on these and you would really need one of these per person or spen a lot of time re-brewing.

Well worth a tenner in my opinion.

Thanks for the reveiw, it's looks worth a look.

As for the tea I seem to of settled on Russian caravan tea and jasmine tea.

I've just picked up one of these from Austins in Newton Abbot.

Now to investigate some of those tea websites!!

IMAG0260.jpg

Used the above pot to brew up some Miles tea I got from Sainsburys yesterday.

Firstly, I can't believe how smooth the results are compared with teabags (and I use expensive teabags too).

Secondly another lesson is not to drink all the way to the bottom of the pot! The filter didn't catch everything and I got a nice mouthful of leaves.

Loose leaf tea is as it was consumed back when - men used DE and straight razors! Tea bags are full of dust - mangled up any old thing, stalks, old leaf, the lot - whereas leaf is as it says on the tin. The difference is huge, immense and total - and leaf tea is not advertised by cartoon characters, less than intelligent ones at that! (if cartoons can have an IQ.)

Not into ponsey tea just propper tea infused in a pot put through a strainer of some kind poured into a mug add a bit of cow juice and 1 sugar needs to look very tanned then drunk.
Perhaps its me ya know simple but coffee should be coffee ,not mocka chocca latte skinny double whipped caperchino poo. Its like water drinkers......... ya all know what i mean lemonand lime , peach ,strawberry , yadda yadda yadda uf ya wanna drink water then drink water not sugar infused flavoured yahhhhhggghhhhh............... sorry rant over

Morning had propper tea now feel better.

Back
Top Bottom