Looking for a razor blade bank ..

i use a hendricks gin bottle that got drunk a few months ago. the mouth of the bottle is a little narrow, but it's quite fun bending the blades and popping them in. like popping bubble wrap. no injuries so far.

chicken neck said:
Shipwrecked said:
chicken neck said:
The title says it all. I can't find anything online and don't fancy making one from an empty tin of soup (too large for my cabinet and the wife thinks I'm nuts already!) So just looking for something small and neat. I am currently using a Feather blade bank that I bought on a TSR group buy a long time back.

Thanks all

This may help
Regards
Jim

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Blad...=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item4160796240

Hmmm .. not that cheap .. especially with postage.

Not that cheap???!! £3.88 delivered?!!! If your budgets that tight, try swallowing your used blades instead.

here is the one i got from steve woodhouse...anyone interested maybe we can strike a deal

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/subzeer0/st2.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/subzeer0/st1.jpg

never been used at all...the razor as much as you would like it is not part of this post

monkeytennis said:
I do like those banks but then how do you dispose of the blades?

That was going to be my question too - I get why sealed-jars-with-slots are preferred now, but how do you get the blades into the metal recycling bank?

Also....
Not that cheap? Have you seen the price of the same sort of thing on amazon?
It costs more in postage than the blade bank itself!

Re: RE: Looking for a razor blade bank ..

monkeytennis said:
I do like those banks but then how do you dispose of the blades?

The point of the Feather ones, apart from just being a pleasant object, is that they are themselves recyclable metal, so you throw the whole thing in the recycling safely (no lacerated binman-fingers!) when it's full and buy a new one.

RideTheBlade said:
I use a tin Moneybox I got it from the Card Factory it cost a whopping 99p. :icon_smile:

Since one of the four hall mark days is coming up so I'll take a look at this. How large is the money box? It might be the first thing I keep outside of the bathroom mirror cabinet, yet keep the blunts in the a smaller container for convenience. Perhaps the shed would be an ideal place and just empty into that every year or so.

eneville said:
RideTheBlade said:
I use a tin Moneybox I got it from the Card Factory it cost a whopping 99p. :icon_smile:

Since one of the four hall mark days is coming up so I'll take a look at this. How large is the money box? It might be the first thing I keep outside of the bathroom mirror cabinet, yet keep the blunts in the a smaller container for convenience. Perhaps the shed would be an ideal place and just empty into that every year or so.

Thanks all. Blade disposal is always a fun discussion. For me it has to be permanently sealed (so money boxes etc are out), small, kid-proof and no hassle. So I went for the metal feather containers. Ideal as it can be recycled too. I know they are not expensive but I am sure they should only be a £1 really.

Speaking of £1, the wife found this in the 99p shop in Maidenhead. You need a can opener to get your money out so it's pretty kid safe. I imagine if they shake the ruddy thing hard enough a blade may come out, but you'd hear them doing that long before anything falls out (most likely), for extra protection, put a bit of masking tape over the hole and keep it up high.

Anyway, here's a picture of the 99p shop tin (don't know if it's actual tin) can money box.

Very little being said here about blade 'disposal'. Lots about blade storage.

Since I started DE I've put them back in wrapper, into spare box and put that in sharps bin at my dentists or doctors surgery. It strikes me as irresponsible to "hide" them in a container and put this in the waste stream - remember that 'recyclables' cannot always be mechanically recycled.
As someone who has worked on manual recycling lines, the cost and anxiety caused by these camouflaged hazards is very high. By the time the blades are out of the container they can be infected with who knows what.
I'm shocked and disappointed to read some of the comments.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

I guess people just don't think about that side Lloyd... and maybe recycling arrangements are different in other areas, not sure. I've heard some lads take the box to the metal bins at the tip.

Personally, when I get a full jar (and that's probably another year off going by what I have so far) it's going in the standard rubbish to end up as landfill.

lloydedwards said:
Very little being said here about blade 'disposal'. Lots about blade storage.

Since I started DE I've put them back in wrapper, into spare box and put that in sharps bin at my dentists or doctors surgery. It strikes me as irresponsible to "hide" them in a container and put this in the waste stream - remember that 'recyclables' cannot always be mechanically recycled.
As someone who has worked on manual recycling lines, the cost and anxiety caused by these camouflaged hazards is very high. By the time the blades are out of the container they can be infected with who knows what.
I'm shocked and disappointed to read some of the comments.
love'n'joy
Lloyd
EH!!

they aint clinical waste mate, why would you want them incinerated, should I put my ALU cans in a sharps bin as well, as if they get all mangled up they will cut you just as easy, See if you actually read the threads on this you would find out most people disposed of them in a safe and responsible manner, also if you are working on a manuel recycling line you should be using cut resistant gloves(notice cut not stab) that will take away the majority of the dangers from razors blades and other items, do you recommend people dispose of other razors in sharp bins as well as they can be broken and the blades come out easily.

The tin that I've just started to use is metal, has no way in, other than the small slot at the top. What's the best way of that getting recycled? There's no plastic involved and I think it'd just be wrong for it to go any other route other than recycling.

Car batteries get mashed up before the lead is separated and reused. Surely something similar happens with lumps of metal in the recycle boxes?

Back
Top Bottom