L'Occitane cade

Since I'm trying out these things I may as well write a review!
Ronseal make a point about saying - it does what it says on the tin.

Well, this is the claim made by L'Occitane:

Practical and elegant, this bowl lives up to traditional shaving lovers expectations. Its material (100% recyclable non-oxidizing aluminium) allows for an optimal use. Perfectly adapted to this bowl, the vegetable-based Cade Shaving Soap develops into a rich and unctuous lather. Enrich with a complex of purifying and stimulating cade essential oil and anti-drying cold cream, it ensures a comfortable and smooth shave.

Well it did it for me. I used it for three days in succession - two with my Semogue 1305 and then with my Duke 3. A drop of water on the puck while in the shower and within 30seconds a lot of lather worked into the brush, sufficient for three passes. This produces a creamy lather with a very subtle scent. The bowl is expensive but a pleasure to hold and use. I have only the MWF soap to compare. I can only say that among all the creams I have tried so far this is as good as any for providing a delightful shaving experience.

One thing that puzzles me. Why no "cade" imprinted on the soap?

Attachments

• Cade refill.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 605
  • Cade +bowl.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 600
Nice review. Certainly one of my favourite smelling shaving soaps along with Old Spice, Culmak and GFT Rose. Sadly, I believe the shea butter cains my face if I use it every day :cry: .

I still use the old bowl as an ashtray.

fozz77 said:
Fido. how do you find it compares to MWF? Nice review.

So difficult. Somehow the cade seems classier, more refined, slightly firmer textured. But that may be because I have not yet made the best of the MWF. I find both of them excellent. The cade bowl is also a real pleasure to handle. Well worth the extra cost.

This is indeed a very good soap. Compared to MWF, I do think the Cade is better suited to oily skin. It is not as hydrating as MWF but maybe has a tad more cushion when you shave.

Love this stuff on a warm summer morning, find the scent very uplifting.

My favourite soap so far apart from Mama Bears.

Great scent (perfect for autumn!), superb lather and fantastic shave.

I think it's very under-rated. Equally as good as Tabac, with a better scent, IMHO!

And, guess what? No tallow.

John

From HM's list

Cade: Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Water, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Sunflower Seed Oil, Juniper Wood Oil

Boab said:
Cade: Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Water, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Sunflower Seed Oil, Juniper Wood Oil

Yep. Palm oil has about the same fatty acid composition as tallow, with more stearic and less palmitic acid. Palm kernel oil is very similar to coconut oil, with lauric and myristic acid. I would suspect that people that react unfavourably to a soap with coconut oil in it, would also have problems with this soap.

So this is a vegetable oil with added stearic acid. The order of ingredients suggests that the oil is created by saponifying a mixture of palm oil, stearic acid and palm kernel oil with a mixture of potassium and sodium hydroxide. The palm kernel acid should then result from the addition of some acid at the end of the saponification. The sunflower seed oil is added after saponification.

EDIT: doing some calculations, based on some guesstimates, I think that this soap is based on a 60:20:20 mixture of palm oil:stearic acid:palm kernel oil...

Henk

Funnily enough the cade soap has always been good for me.Palmolive and especially Tabac = bad

Palmolive stick: Potassium Hydrogenated Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua, Glycerin, Parfum, Olea Europaea, Elaeis Guineensis, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, BHT, Buytlphenyl Methypropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI11680, CI12490, CI74260, CI77891

Tabac Stick (a): Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua, Glycerin, Parfum, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, CI77891

Tabac Stick (b): Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Parfum, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, CI 77891, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Coumarin, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Salicylate, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Citral, Evernia Furfuracea (Treemoss) Extract.

Over to Dr. Henk to postulate on what might be the common factors in the Palmolive & Tabac, but not in the Cade... very quickly I see Tallowates, Cocoates, Coumarin, Aqua (you're not French are you Boab? :lol:), Citronellol, Linalool, Limonene and the EDTA/Etidronate.

henkverhaar said:
jhclare said:
And, guess what? No tallow.

Yeah, but you don't NEED tallow to make a good shaving soap. My guess would be though that the ingredient list will include stearate somewhere right at the beginning...

Henk

Exactly - I've been trying to put this point across and the Tallow fanatics all scoff and can't believe a non-Tallow soap can be as good as a Tallow soap.

There are good and bad soaps, some have Tallow, some don't. The inclusion of Tallow alone does not make a soap good or bad, in my experience (Palmolive = good, old-formula Erasmic = bad!)

Another example: I get better, slicker and more consistent shaves from Mama Bear's soaps than I do Tabac.

Back
Top Bottom