Le Tour

Most of my friends and family in Sheffield are out watching it (including my Dad who has been a mad-keen cyclist for 65 years).

Some people are moaning about the inconvenience of their roads being shut for one frigging day in the year. These are probably the same people who moan that Sheffield never gets any breaks.

Heading into proper Yorkshire tomorrow ... I hope the impending rain holds off.

The Holme Moss climb is going to be quite something. I actually have a clear (binocular) view of Holme Moss from my house, through the gap, past Beacon Hill, past the twin aerials at Golcar an onto the tops. Top of Holme Moss is going to be the place to be, I think.

Today, blimey, there were some villages where the folks were leaving very little road for all 'le tour' to get through. Fun to watch! Yeah, I think "we" did good today. More tomorrow.

But bloody hell, if I hear one more "dry stone wall" comment I will ... well, probably do nothing, but you get the sentiment :D

I was impressed with the crowds. Considering they were mere "bumps" the amount of people on the climbs rivalled an Alpine stage. Geraint Thomas is quoted as saying it was like a disco for four hours. Yorkshire looked amazing too!

It'll be interesting to see what the crowds are like tomorrow on a working day.

Shame about Cav though!

Another great spectacle.

Sky and Froome should be well pleased so far.

As for tomorrow, the crowds will be vast. London will be waiting. Thought about going up but will stick to the TV.

Well played guys ... it looks like the folks down there continued to do us proud. Good show for a work day, too. I think this depart has really given the folks at Le Tour something to think about.

"Grand", as we say up here.

I am as passionate about cycling as most people are with football and I have followed it for as long as I can remember. To have the top riders in the world riding along roads that I know like the back of my hand was just amazing! The crowd where I was was amazing, even the police bikes got a huge cheer! All that time just for a fleeting glimpse and no-one complained. It was an honour to have the Grand Depart on our shores and the reception we have given them makes it certain that it will return!

Off to watch the whole stage in glorious HD with a few ales.

Enjoy the rest of the Le Tour gents.

An exciting sprint finish and win for Kittell. Thanks to tv coverage and internet, I'm learning a little more about this sporting event every day. I have a question though.....what can a top professional cyclist earn in a season/year? Purely cycling dosh....no adverts or endorsements.

It might be a well paid spectacle but it's grim way to make a living. Suffering on a bike for six hours a day and then it might just be for the benefit of others, sod that.

Back
Top Bottom