Lab Blue?

zygalski said:
Stan I had one duff Lab Blue in the blue wrappers with the "now 25% sharper" on the box. Since then I've used maybe a dozen Labs for around 50 odd shaves & they've all been great.

Maybe I was too hasty (or cheeky) contacting Salon Supply querying the two harsh shaves I had with the blades in white sleeves in the blue box marked "Comfort". But they seemed more than happy to send replacements out and refused any payment for them. I will definitely try both the originals (white sleeve) and, obviously, the forthcoming ones and kinda hope that it was my poor technique more than anything else.

Shemen Zait said:
Yes the labs are extremely sharp but I found a way around this after trial and error and it works for me every time.

First hand strop, then load into a mildish razor like the 37c'

For soap or cream use something with tons of lubrication like Maca root or Erasmic.

And then with 0 pressure two passes and Bob is your Dudha.

Thanks for the advice, i palm stropped the blade then used it in my newly acquired rocket, brilliant shave, bbs and no irritation, perfect :icon_razz:

Are you sure the 37c (a slant) is 'mildish'? :icon_eek:

Shemen Zait said:
Yes the labs are extremely sharp but I found a way around this after trial and error and it works for me every time.

For soap or cream use something with tons of lubrication like Maca root or Erasmic.

As a result of a generous loan of a 37C which arrived yesterday, I would say there was nothing fierce about it, having used it for the first time today. So, if I can get on with it, given my lack of experience, then I'm sure most old timers would find it a piece of cake ...assuming, as always, that all the usual conditions were met re. prep, soap, etc etc.

I enjoyed using it very much...with a Med Prep on it's second outing.

I won't buy one (today!) given that I own another slant along with enough additional hardware to see me out but could see it could be someones only razor if you only wanted a single DE. Neither too mild nor aggressive, I would have said.

If I WAS gonna get one it'd be a 39C with the longer handle but still thought it was perfectly civilized for me.

Geofnay said:
Are you sure the 37c (a slant) is 'mildish'? :icon_eek:

Shemen Zait said:

Oh ye, see Stan above.
Not sure how the Merkur slants got a fierce reputation for me it's a notch above the G.Tech TBH.

Guys, I am specifically interested if anyone that used the "now 25% sharper!" packaged labs in blue paper, can confirm that at the new blades in white paper, in a "comfort coated" package are exactly the same blade.

Is there anyone that can confirm that they shaved with 2 different qualities (one good and one bad) of the white paper labs in 2 different "comfort coated" packages?

I have the exact same issue with white paper labs, I tested alternatively with the exact same setup 10 blue paper labs from "25% sharper" package and 10 white paper from "comfort coated" package, and I am 100% sure that there is something wrong with the white paper ones.

Cerbul13 said:
Guys, I am specifically interested if anyone that used the "now 25% sharper!" packaged labs in blue paper, can confirm that at the new blades in white paper, in a "comfort coated" package are exactly the same blade.

Is there anyone that can confirm that they shaved with 2 different qualities (one good and one bad) of the white paper labs in 2 different "comfort coated" packages?

I have the exact same issue with white paper labs, I tested alternatively with the exact same setup 10 blue paper labs from "25% sharper" package and 10 white paper from "comfort coated" package, and I am 100% sure that there is something wrong with the white paper ones.

Just to confuse you I have a box with 'comfort coated' but the wrappers are blue (bought in June 2014), also an older box from late 2013 with the 'comfort coated' but has white wrappers. Can't tell the difference, hand stropping and job jobs.

Shemen Zait said:
Cerbul13 said:

Just to confuse you I have a box with 'comfort coated' but the wrappers are blue (bought in June 2014), also an older box from late 2013 with the 'comfort coated' but has white wrappers. Can't tell the difference, hand stropping and job jobs.

No really confused yet :)
I had a box of "comfort coated" with blue wrappers as well and they were bad.
2013 is the year when the white papers came in production as far as I know, but the transition between old blades and new blades was like this:
- 2011-2012, "now 25% sharper"+blue wrappers+good blade
- in 2013 "comfort coated" + blue wrappers + bad blade => IMO they changed blades or production problems.
- in 2014 "comfort coated" + white wrappers + bad blade => I haven't seen good blades yet in white paper
So they changed the blades to "bad ones" before they changed to white paper.
I wouldn't be surprised to see bad blades in "25% sharper boxes" as well, depending on when they changed the package.

However, my main goal here is to find someone that found "good ones" as they were in 2011-2012 in white paper. Or where did the 2011-2012 labs did go? Personna Lab was my absolute favorite blade, and I am so upset now, that I am almost certain I will change entirely to straights, just to not have to ever again in my life be dependent on a company.. Sad but true..

So please, prove me wrong and tell me is just a bad batch and that blades are now back to normal quality..

Cerbul13 said:
Shemen Zait said:
Cerbul13 said:

No really confused yet :)
I had a box of "comfort coated" with blue wrappers as well and they were bad.
2013 is the year when the white papers came in production as far as I know, but the transition between old blades and new blades was like this:
- 2011-2012, "now 25% sharper"+blue wrappers+good blade
- in 2013 "comfort coated" + blue wrappers + bad blade => IMO they changed blades or production problems.
- in 2014 "comfort coated" + white wrappers + bad blade => I haven't seen good blades yet in white paper
So they changed the blades to "bad ones" before they changed to white paper.
I wouldn't be surprised to see bad blades in "25% sharper boxes" as well, depending on when they changed the package.

However, my main goal here is to find someone that found "good ones" as they were in 2011-2012 in white paper. Or where did the 2011-2012 labs did go? Personna Lab was my absolute favorite blade, and I am so upset now, that I am almost certain I will change entirely to straights, just to not have to ever again in my life be dependent on a company.. Sad but true..

So please, prove me wrong and tell me is just a bad batch and that blades are now back to normal quality..

Re. Personnas in the blue box with the yellow strip with COMFORT COATED written on it....containing white wrappers (badly folded).

Just received from Salon Supply in Florida, a replacement box of 100. This as a replacement for those bought a couple of months ago. I queried the quality of the first box and they promptly offered replacements.

If you wish I'll send you a couple from the original box and a couple from the new box (although I imagine there won't be any difference). Send a message if you do.

Back
Top Bottom