Kolnisch Wasser aftershave box - German to English Translation

4711 pre-dates this by some margin - it was introduced in 1792!
I think its the same firm. I picked this up at a boot sale last year for £6. There isn't much smell coming from the wrapped soap. Haven't opened the bottle.

I was hoping the text translation would reveal something interesting or insightful

The translation tool had a good stab at the handwriting.

Nah, cool! I guess this is a vintage box of what became 4711?
Correct. There were many variations, family splits, etc. One of those family splits became 4711.
4711 pre-dates this by some margin - it was introduced in 1792!
I think its the same firm. I picked this up at a boot sale last year for £6. There isn't much smell coming from the wrapped soap. Haven't opened the bottle.

I was hoping the text translation would reveal something interesting or insightful
Kölnisch Wasser was introduced in 1709. It is, quite literally, the very first cologne ever made.
Edit: digging though some of my old posts, I turned up this:
4711. Probably make a good summer splash for you. I prefer the original, but for a knockoff, 4711 ain't bad, and it's cheaper, and it's been around since 1799.

I can't believe I'm calling a fragrance that's been around for over 200 years a knockoff, sad but true. The original is Johann Maria Farina gegenüber dem Jülichs-Platz Original Eau de Cologne and it's been around since 1709.

Then there's Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille Eau De Cologne, another knockoff made since 1806. It's almost as expensive as the original.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the image is not at a high enough resolution to attempt a complete translation. Reading in this old font is a bit of a chore.

However:

The font, the spelling of certain words and the rather old-fashioned diction make me believe this is pre WW-I, probably pre-1900. Post 1850 I would think.

However:

I am not a linguist, just a native German speaker with a bit of experience reading 100+ year-old texts.
It is possible that Farina in an attempt to emphasize their heritage did that style of blurb much later than my estimates.
(I mean - this could be a 2020 heritage edition - what do I know?)

P.S.: I'm surprised that Google Translate got as much as it did.

Unfortunately, the image is not at a high enough resolution to attempt a complete translation. Reading in this old font is a bit of a chore.

However:

The font, the spelling of certain words and the rather old-fashioned diction make me believe this is pre WW-I, probably pre-1900. Post 1850 I would think.

However:

I am not a linguist, just a native German speaker with a bit of experience reading 100+ year-old texts.
It is possible that Farina in an attempt to emphasize their heritage did that style of blurb much later than my estimates.
(I mean - this could be a 2020 heritage edition - what do I know?)

P.S.: I'm surprised that Google Translate got as much as it did.
I will take some better photos if you like. Upload in sections close up if that helps.

Thanks. No hurry; I wasn't expecting anyone to translate it so appreciate the possibility even if you never get bored!

I've done a photo for each column of text, plus a few photos of the products and the front and underside of the box.
More text on the back of the bottle label.

PXL_20230108_213919674.jpgPXL_20230108_213931745.jpg

PXL_20230108_214102167.jpgPXL_20230108_214125929.jpgPXL_20230108_213859029.jpgPXL_20230108_213837701.jpg

Right. This is a modern replica (made by Farina, however, so not a fake)
Because:
- The sticker at the bottom is obviously modern. They didn't have article numbers back then.
- The text on the back of the bottle says something like "This classic cologne is made today as it was made in the olden days"
- The sticker on the soap says "Frischgewicht 100g" (fresh weight 100g)... are fairly modern phrase.
- The fonts on the lid of the box, the front of the bottle and the wrapper of the soap are modern.

As bored as I am right now, I am also rather tired. Translation will have to wait.
Just one urgent thing: It says not to apply the cologne and go near open flames as it is inflammable as some unfortunate people have found out.
:D

This is a fascinating thread. Yes it's modern, back printed labels readable through the liquid were also not a thing when 4711 was invented. Fraktur or Blackletter are very difficult to read despite their beauty which further hinders translation. Like Andreas, I can probably make some of it out but rarely have the time to devote to it. He will make a better job of it than me as he's a native speaker whereas I translate DE>EN semi pro for pocket money. Now there are better pics I might come back to this if I get time and am bored!

The words on the back printed label also give it away as they say "This classic cologne is still made today under the same conditions as it was back in the olden days: finest essences, best quality alcoholic spirit and months-long maturation" (I am trying to contextualise 'lagerung' which means storage, as you would lay down wine in a cellar, which is also the derivation of the word 'Lager' meaning Pilsner-style beer in English speaking countries. I presume they mean the essential botanicals are steeped for months in the alcohol rather than 'We made a bunch of this and piled it up in the warehouse for months'!

4711 and Farina are the reason Eau de Cologne (DE: Kölnisch Wasser) are called "Cologne" and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a bottle when I was last on holiday in Cologne/Köln. I was too focused on its drinkable equivalent "Kölsch"

Last edited:
The words on the back printed label also give it away as they say "This classic cologne is still made today under the same conditions as it was back in the olden days: finest essences, best quality alcoholic spirit and months-long maturation" (I am trying to contextualise 'lagerung' which means storage, as you would lay down wine in a cellar, which is also the derivation of the word 'Lager' meaning Pilsner-style beer in English speaking countries. I presume they mean the essential botanicals are steeped for months in the alcohol rather than 'We made a bunch of this and piled it up in the warehouse for months'!
Pretty good. I should leave it to you. :devilish:
I have two very busy weeks in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom