Kenneth Grange

Thank you for this thread it has really intrigued me. I have never heard of Mr Grange or of the things he created and am fascinated to find out more. Like a previous poster I think that I too will be getting a copy of that book to enjoy.

I just enabled myself by linking to this thread in another post :)

If anyone of you in the UK ever come across an "Accountant" pen made by him (see photos above) I'd love to get one. Seems impossible to find here in the US.

Anywho, off to have some pre-thanksgiving read and coffee :)

I just enabled myself by linking to this thread in another post :)

If anyone of you in the UK ever come across an "Accountant" pen made by him (see photos above) I'd love to get one. Seems impossible to find here in the US.

Anywho, off to have some pre-thanksgiving read and coffee :)
I wish I had one. I'd swap it for a Schick Type O :D:D

I took a year out to try and invent something and get it up and running, but it's just not that simple. In the end I gave up, and I don't have to hear those words "its been done before" ever again.:(

I took a year out to try and invent something and get it up and running, but it's just not that simple. In the end I gave up, and I don't have to hear those words "its been done before" ever again.:(

I think the difference here is 'designing' vs 'inventing'.
I don't think Grange sees himself as an inventor but rather a designer and as such it's perfectly fine to come up with another razor or another coffee maker that functionally might do the same thing as products already on the market. The key is that the vision he (or any designer) has of how it should look and feel resonates with you to such a degree that you prefer it over other iterations of the same product.

Maybe you should consider going into design instead of inventing as 'it's been done before' is often a fundamental requirement when you want to build a better [looking] mousetrap :)

You are spot on db with the difference between inventing/designing as inventing has to be unique and never done before, contrasting with designing where you can revamp something that has already been done before as you so perfectly described in your post.
But my inventing/designing days are over, my wife wants me back in the room shall we say.

Would you say that this looks like a Schick Type O? ;)
USD414898.jpg

Back
Top Bottom