In Coming SRs from the USA

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Waiting On Both these Arriving from the USA thanks to My Friend @Karl G for Doing the Honour's for Me as the Sellers Didn't Post to the UK..The 1st One is an Old Rare Factory Fresh NOS 11/16th El Kourie Crown Made in Germany..:)

The 2nd One is an NOS Shave Ready Wester Bros New York Solingen Manganese Steel 5/8th SR Made for the USA Market..Never thought I would get it Never Mind the Darn Good Price I Got it for..:eek:

Just About Stole them Both..:D

Billy

Last edited:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Waiting On Both these Arriving from the USA thanks to My Friend @Karl G for Doing the Honour's for Me as the Sellers Didn't Post to the UK..The 1st One is an Old Rare Factory Fresh NOS 11/16th El Kourie Crown Made in Germany..:)

The 2nd One is an NOS Shave Ready Wester Bros New York Solingen Manganese Steel 5/8th SR Made for the USA Market..Never thought I would get it Never Mind the Darn Good Price I Got it for..:eek:

Just About Stole them Both..:D

Billy
A very nice find indeed and great of @Karl G to help you out, good man.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

INCOMING FROM RUSSIA

Just Pressed the Button on this NOS Russian 5/8th SR "Восток-2"(Vostok-2) in Original Case...The Russian Astronauts were Issued these in the 1970s for Space Missions...Cheap as Chips for a Wee Bit of History..I Have Been Informed by a Russian HoneMeister that these are the Best of Steel..20 Notes Posted..Canny Be Bad..:D

From Russia with Love..:eek:

Billy

Sorry, can't get this song out of my head now:

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my mind

After much umming and ahhing, I finally pulled the trigger on a Ralph Aust yesterday. My first foray into proper straight razor shaving.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

INCOMING FROM RUSSIA

Just Pressed the Button on this NOS Russian 5/8th SR "Восток-2"(Vostok-2) in Original Case...The Russian Astronauts were Issued these in the 1970s for Space Missions...Cheap as Chips for a Wee Bit of History..I Have Been Informed by a Russian HoneMeister that these are the Best of Steel..20 Notes Posted..Canny Be Bad..:D

From Russia with Love..:eek:

Billy

Sorry, can't get this song out of my head now:

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my mind

After much umming and ahhing, I finally pulled the trigger on a Ralph Aust yesterday. My first foray into proper straight razor shaving.
Nice One..Ralph Aust SRs are Often Advertised form Vendors as Sharp but "May Need Honing" to "You're Specific Needs"..In Other Words it May Not be Shave Ready form the Box..It May Need Honed..You Often See this as Well..This Vendor is One Example..o_O
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...YiQFB459p3RLJ-5KA&sig2=ud68h9aL2hWQYa9fPenGGQ

Please note: As with all of our open razors, whilst this razor is factory honed and deemed "shave ready" by the manufacturer, that's not to say it can't be made sharper by getting it honed professionally which is down to personal preference.

This Would Concur with What Some Folks Experience with them in Forums..There Appears to be Mixed Results form the Factory at this Moment in Time at Least...Some Vendors that Specialize in SRs can Hone them Before Selling..:D

Billy

Nice One..Ralph Aust SRs are Often Advertised form Vendors as Sharp but "May Need Honing" to "You're Specific Needs"..In Other Words it May Not be Shave Ready form the Box..It May Need Honed..You Often See this as Well..This Vendor is One Example..o_O
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjX5rn3i63PAhWIOhoKHVUkDUUQFggcMAA&url=http://www.shaving-shack.com/ralf-aust-5-8-carbon-steel-open-razor.html&usg=AFQjCNHG-m3Qi2eIiYiQFB459p3RLJ-5KA&sig2=ud68h9aL2hWQYa9fPenGGQ

Please note: As with all of our open razors, whilst this razor is factory honed and deemed "shave ready" by the manufacturer, that's not to say it can't be made sharper by getting it honed professionally which is down to personal preference.

This Would Concur with What Some Folks Experience with them in Forums..There Appears to be Mixed Results form the Factory at this Moment in Time at Least...Some Vendors that Specialize in SRs can Hone them Before Selling..:D

Billy

Cheers Billy. There's no intermediary vendor to hone it for me, and I was wondering about getting it honed 'again' before I first use it anyway (so I know how sharp it should be from the beginning if that makes sense).

Do you mind if I get your input on that? I've no confidence in honing it myself, and there seem to be all manner of people offering to do it professionally. Is there anyone you know, or could recommend?

Cheers Billy. There's no intermediary vendor to hone it for me, and I was wondering about getting it honed 'again' before I first use it anyway (so I know how sharp it should be from the beginning if that makes sense).

Do you mind if I get your input on that? I've no confidence in honing it myself, and there seem to be all manner of people offering to do it professionally. Is there anyone you know, or could recommend?
In Coming PM..:)

Billy

Yup, SR shaving is not for the lazy, just recieved an envelope from England with lapping film, time to practice honing, victim is a Gold Dollar, also on the market for a new strop the old looking rather bruised and battered, maybe a paddle this time.

Last edited:
Interesting I am looking for something not as superthin as my Revisor.
Most Production SRs these Days are Full Hollow..The Dollar You Got is Full Hollow as Well..The Heavier 1/2 Hollow Grinds or 1/4 or even 3/4 Grinds Feel Different to Shave with..That Said..Not All Full Hollow Grinds Feel the Same..Some are More Rigid than Others..My Henckels Friodur is a Full Hollow & its a Very Thin Grind like Some Extra Hollow Grinds..:)

Billy

Its a 1/2 Hollow Ground this One..They are Very Hard Steel these Russian SRs & by All Accounts & Take a Very Wicked & Long Lasting Edge..There is Number of Links on them Within this Thread..:)
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwijhLOIta_PAhVsBMAKHWsRDz8QFggqMAE&url=http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/68445-russian-razors.html&usg=AFQjCNGeB1fO6xdOX-K23MbrNXnEPHDMMA&sig2=NkbrraZxXQI94hJphxRQcg

Billy

I've been mulling over these razors today. Do you know who got to use these? Is the quality of the steel indcative of a luxury razor used only by the upper echelons of the Party, or a notable success of the Communist economy that such patriotic razors were available to all?

Back
Top Bottom