I'm new here

Will I get abused for asking questions that are probably already answered elsewhere on the forum? I'm just trying to figure out the simplest good shave I can have (I've never used a brush before and wondering if it's a necessity)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to TSR @JonC.
Even though you're only shaving the cheeks and neck, I'd still recommend a brush and soap, much kinder to the skin than the canned stuff.
An Omega 11137 or a Semogue 2000 are pretty (Edit) very good cheap boar brushes.
Palmolive shaving stick you can get for 50p at the supermarket or a tub of Proraso is reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I've little to compare with - but I would guess the lighter side of normal! I.e. not very coarse. At the moment I use a terrible multiblade Gillette thing that clogs instantly. I'm really only shaving upper cheeks (face cheeks, I mean) and neck...

Cart clogging was the reason I started DE&SE shaving, never to look back. I kept the handle to look at every time I shave and realize anew what a fool I had been.

I've little to compare with - but I would guess the lighter side of normal! I.e. not very coarse. At the moment I use a terrible multiblade Gillette thing that clogs instantly. I'm really only shaving upper cheeks (face cheeks, I mean) and neck...

Cart clogging was the reason I started DE&SE shaving, never to look back. I kept the handle to look at every time I shave and realize anew what a fool I had been.

Hello and welcome to TSR @JonC.
Even though you're only shaving the cheeks and neck, I'd still recommend a brush and soap, much kinder to the skin than the canned stuff.
An Omega 11137 or a Semogue 2000 are pretty (Edit) very good cheap boar brushes.
Palmolive shaving stick you can get for 50p at the supermarket or a tub of Proraso is reasonably priced.
Seems like it's a £50 ish outlay to give it a try, does that seem right? Is there a cheaper way of trying de shaving out?

Seems like it's a £50 ish outlay to give it a try, does that seem right? Is there a cheaper way of trying de shaving out?

You could go the vintage route or.
Wilkinson Sword Classic, or you could order one at Boots for collection for less than a fiver.
I haven't tried an Omega 49 but they're a good brand and about £7 or £8.
So about £13 to as high as you like + 50p for your Palmolive.

Last edited:
The vintage route.
Wilkinson Sword Classic, or you could order one at Boots for collection for less than a fiver.
I haven't tried an Omega 49 but they're a good brand and about £7 or £8.
So about £13 to as high as you like + 50p for your Palmolive.
A fantastic humble set up, which would keep any traditional wet shaver very happy and give superb shaving results.

That's great thank you.

You're welcome, I've edited because I didn't think I'd made the vintage option clear.
A fantastic humble set up, which would keep any traditional wet shaver very happy and give superb shaving results.
Cheers, I think the WS Classic is great introduction. There are some Indian Gillettes which are meant to be pretty good but could take ages to arrive.

Hi again.

Are any of the other Omega brushes any good please?

There are more informed boar enthusiasts on TSR, but from personal experience of Omegas, the 11137 is the best size for me and broke in quickly.

Back
Top Bottom