I'm considering my first modern tablet

Re battery life, my Nexus 7 would go literally all day without charging when I first got it and it was still a novelty and I couldn't put it down. Now with more normal usage, an hour or two a day, it will go 3 or 4 days between charges.

Sikario said:
My my... things have changed alot... i mean laptop/tablet hybrids being heavy with no battery life??? You havent handled the Windows Surface or any of the many windows 8 based transformers yet have you? The Windows Surface has some insanely long battery life and is really really light..

And sod all in the way of app support for what you actually want the tablet for... for which you pay top dollar. Buy a Nexus 7 and/or a Nexus 10 and still have change in comparison.

I have as it happens tried a WinRT tablet (work supplied) - it's one of few tech toys that have come my way that I've sent back before I was obliged to do so.

hunnymonster said:
And sod all in the way of app support for what you actually want the tablet for... for which you pay top dollar. Buy a Nexus 7 and/or a Nexus 10 and still have change in comparison.

As an Apple / iPad owner I would also say go for the Nexus or a Samsung Galaxy Tab (I have that one in 7 inch).

hunnymonster said:
And sod all in the way of app support for what you actually want the tablet for... for which you pay top dollar.

Hey agree with the Nexus being the choice but i still think its really early to knock app choices on the Windows Tablet machines.. i mean this is brand new territory for Microsoft in general and will undoubtedly take time for the market to develop just by nature of product development cycles they are on par if not just slightly behind the curve in my opinion

Sikario said:
hunnymonster said:
And sod all in the way of app support for what you actually want the tablet for... for which you pay top dollar.

Hey agree with the Nexus being the choice but i still think its really early to knock app choices on the Windows Tablet machines.. i mean this is brand new territory for Microsoft in general and will undoubtedly take time for the market to develop just by nature of product development cycles they are on par if not just slightly behind the curve in my opinion

Yes - but presumably if you're in the market "now" you want to use it "now" and not hoping for the ecosystem to develop in 6/9/12 months time... I don't see the duopoly of iOS & Android being attacked in any meaningful way in the next 12-18 months.

I think the hardware side of the Surface knocks all the other tablets into a cocked hat IMHO. I was very impressed when I had a play with one.

However, if apps aren't forthcoming for it and Microsoft don't get the blasted thing into stores then it'll just be another Zune.

I think you have to go a long way to beat the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7” for price at the moment. It's just ducked under £100 with a few of the online retailers (Sainsburys are offering it for £89 via a voucher search hotukdeals for the offer). Unlike the Nexus its expandable via SD card. I've had the tab2 for a a while with no problems and have bought a few Tab3's as presents.

I do a little work occasionally for tablet manufacturers and they've told me its funny how people are finding uses for them. I always want GPS in mine as I can sat nav and street map on the go - horses for courses I suppose.

But there's a breed of huge tab that's getting a lot of use out there - HP do a 21" Slate tab and Hanspree do a 13.3" model and people use them on a stand in the kitchen either doing Catchup TV or recipe programmes!

Ratty

Sometimes I think I should have stayed with the 'old' ones!
[attachment=9134]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387891139.354524.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387891139.354524.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom