I'm considering my first modern tablet

I don't want to break the bank and I don't want an iPad.

I was considering the Nexus 7 or the Nexus 10.

From what I can gather, the former is beautifully made and has an excellent screen but it's only 7 inches whereas the latter is not so well finished but has great resolution and a 10 inch screen.

I want an Android tablet because my phones run Android and I can link all my Google accounts and download apps I've already paid for.

The only thing is, do I really need one? I've got a more-than-capable laptop and I had tablets years ago that weren't really tablets in the sense they are today; I think it was a Nokia N800 or something.

Anyway, I'd not considered one before until my Brother-in-law pulled an iPad 2 out at Christmas and now I'm trying to think of a way I'll need one.

Are there any other alternatives? I'll just be using it to use the web and maybe the odd film. It doesn't need to have 3G though bluetooth will be essential as I can tether it to my phone and get online that way.

To be honest I can't justify it.

Maybe I should go into PC World and have a play and get it out of my system.

Hmm, I think I've already answered my own question.

My daughters both received nexus 7 for Christmas from their generous Dad :)
The screen is so very much bigger than any phone that it's genuinely useful. I use a laptop professionally and for general messing and Web browsing you can't beat a tablet.
I'm an android fan and the nexus 7 is beautifully customisable and worth spending time on to get it right for you.
It's a nice thing and so much better value than apple products.

Re: RE: I'm considering my first modern tablet

Sikario said:
Have you considered waiting just a bit longer.. the tablet market is i feel on the cusp of really breaking out into some amazing products...
Any idea what those are going to be?
Let's face it; you can always wait just a bit longer for next new thing.

Darren said:
Sikario said:
Have you considered waiting just a bit longer.. the tablet market is i feel on the cusp of really breaking out into some amazing products...
Any idea what those are going to be?
Let's face it; you can always wait just a bit longer for next new thing.

Right however its Q1 and early Q1 at that... the technology industry works on cycles most manufacturers pushed last years product through the holiday season all the big names should be dropping newer, more refined, and faster products here in Q1 through spring time frame specifically alot of the NON-microsoft windows 8 transformer tablets are hitting soon as well as the Android 4.1/4.2 tablets from makers like Vizio and HTC.

The transformer style windows 8 laptop/tablets are coming with more processing power and more capabilities beyond the initial release surface which was a bit weak.

The newer android stuff is supposedly ALOT more powerful then before as we are beginning to see more beefy processors coming around in tablets rather than just phone processors attached to bigger screens..

Its up to you you sound from your initial post like the idea of a tablet is intriguing for the touch screen and the portability but that at the same time with a laptop about you cant justify it perhaps one of those nicer windows 8 laptop transformers would fit the bill nicely for you right in the middle.

Sikario said:
The newer android stuff is supposedly ALOT more powerful then before as we are beginning to see more beefy processors coming around in tablets rather than just phone processors attached to bigger screens..

Beefy processor has one of two consequences:

1. shorter battery life
2. bigger (read heavier) battery

Neither of those is terribly desirable :)

Leaves basically 3 choices:

Android: getting a "non-Nexus" Android tablet - my experience tells me that you will be reliant on "the community" to keep it updated after the first 12-18 months - now that's not a bad thing to me but if you're not into it (like my dearest beloved) that's not a good thing at all (but she has me, the inveterate tinkerer to call upon :)) - Even if HTC, Samsung, et al have changed their tune on upgrades, if it's not a Nexus tablet it won't get timely Android updates (sometimes they take 6+ months to make the upgrade and push it out).

Apple: you know what's out there.

Windows RT: yeah, looks lovely. The apps ecosystem is not exactly mature is it? There's no userbase to push to improve that.

As for a laptop/tablet hybrid - they brought those out with Windows XP the first time around and they were bloody awful, heavy with sod all battery life. I don't see a worthwhile improvement from then until now.

My Mrs just picked this up from Amazon, I don't know much about tablets, but my Mrs thinks it's great, and I've had a little play around with it and it does seem like a nice piece of kit. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-iconia-tab-a210-10-1-tablet-16-gb-19161270-pdt.html

Jamie

Well that wasn't easy.

I just got back from PC World, played around with all the kit they had there and the one I plumped for was the Levano 9" Tegra 3 Quad-core thing; the same processing power as my phone and with 16GB of storage there's more than I'll ever use at the moment.

Thing is, it wasn't in stock. Nor were any Samsung devices. Or Asus (Nexus) or any of the cheap, no-brand Chinese jobs.

"Only the Blackberry in stock", she said.

I turned around and left.

They keep going on about how no one is spending any money at the moment and there I was with two hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket with nothing to spend it on.

Oh well, I'll leave it a bit longer and see what's about. Maybe going to a smaller outlet will yield more results. I'm staggered that a main PC World at Brent Cross would have nothing but Blackberries in stock, despite displaying around 20 different tablets.

Go figure.. :-/

pugh-the-special-one said:
My Mrs just picked this up from Amazon, I don't know much about tablets, but my Mrs thinks it's great, and I've had a little play around with it and it does seem like a nice piece of kit. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-iconia-tab-a210-10-1-tablet-16-gb-19161270-pdt.html

Jamie

That's the kind of thing..

<Twitch>..

I purchased a TSV off QVC for Xmas. A Prestigio 10" tablet. I thought it was ok at first, not really comparing it to anything else. I then had a go on a Nexus, the Nexus was far better. No scroll lag, lighter and quicker. I sent the Prestigio back ( QVC have A1 returns policy) I am now the happy owner of a 32g Nexus.
No issues with it at all

i got the mrs a archos cobalt 80 from tesco
they were on offer for £49, not the best screen but fine for her to use with facebook, twitter and kindle etc
she thinks its great and wants to no why i paid so much for my ipad mini !!!!!

I'm writing this on a 32gb Nexus 7 delivered by Santa which has barely left my hands since I got it. I was a big Android fan anyway, but it really comes into its own on a seven inch screen compared to a phone. I was torn between a 10 inch and 7 inch tablet, decent screen size v portability. I travel a lot and the Nexus is a perfect size to chuck in a bag or even a pocket. The pleasant surprise is the screen. I find it's plenty big enough for web surfing and even watching films. It's crisp, clear and a joy to use and much higher resolution than the iPad mini which costs twice as much. Its also really customisable and much less 'locked down' than an iOS device. For the money its incredible value. You can get a 16gb one for around £150 now. At that price who cares if the next big thing is just around the corner?

I do like them Chinese market tablets, if I was to get one it would be a rk3066 in a 4:3 8 inch screen. I had a 9.7 inch 4:3 and love that ratio, perfect for reading reading important things like comics! Messed about with my brothers Samsung Tab2 and for the price, think he picked it up for <£180 it's supurb. I actually like it/tablets more than my 11.6 laptop, mainly because of their snappy nature.

hunnymonster said:
Beefy processor has one of two consequences:

1. shorter battery life
2. bigger (read heavier) battery

Neither of those is terribly desirable :)

Leaves basically 3 choices:

Android: getting a "non-Nexus" Android tablet - my experience tells me that you will be reliant on "the community" to keep it updated after the first 12-18 months - now that's not a bad thing to me but if you're not into it (like my dearest beloved) that's not a good thing at all (but she has me, the inveterate tinkerer to call upon :)) - Even if HTC, Samsung, et al have changed their tune on upgrades, if it's not a Nexus tablet it won't get timely Android updates (sometimes they take 6+ months to make the upgrade and push it out).

Apple: you know what's out there.

Windows RT: yeah, looks lovely. The apps ecosystem is not exactly mature is it? There's no userbase to push to improve that.

As for a laptop/tablet hybrid - they brought those out with Windows XP the first time around and they were bloody awful, heavy with sod all battery life. I don't see a worthwhile improvement from then until now.

My my... things have changed alot... i mean laptop/tablet hybrids being heavy with no battery life??? You havent handled the Windows Surface or any of the many windows 8 based transformers yet have you? The Windows Surface has some insanely long battery life and is really really light..

The "beefier" processor isnt necessarily a bigger battery drain as processor die size gets smaller and smaller they are getting much much more efficient. I.e. the difference between say a Tegra 3 and the original generations of ARM or SOC processors...

Windows RT to be fair literally has been out what a few months at best? It takes time for development cycles to full develop even the beloved "itunes app store" took a bit to kick off completely

Though i fully agree non-nexus tablets tend to fall to the way side as companies seem to stop supporting their tablets after some time

Back
Top Bottom