If you've used a slant, what are your observations?

Having given a slant a fair trial (see above), I found that:

• better than my conventional razors

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • worse than my conventional razors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pretty much the same as my conventional razors

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
In the English world I call the collective slants. Whenever I'm talking about a diagonal or non-twisted type slant I explain why i call these diagonals, and why I feel they are different.
In the German world I use the German terms so there is no misunderstanding.
In the Dutch world I call the collective either slants or a Dutch version of oblique, and differentiate between bent and oblique. Well, Dutch synonyms for these terms anyway. The Dutch are used to me now :D

@efsk - I just saw the two German words (for the (twisted) slant and the diagonal (which seems right given the German name). Does German have a word for the two considered together?

The non-twisted slant is definitely different than the twisted slant in appearance and probably in how it cuts, but the 102 and X3, as I mentioned, feel and perform the same for me. (I know that they don't for everyone.)

Both types have a more slicing rather than a straight cutting or chopping action, sort of like a guillotine. Maybe 'slicing razors'. Having googled a bit and looked at some sword fighting terminology I like 'slashing razors' as well. A great term to needlessly intimidate newbies :D

@riverrun - Just the look of them seems enough to get newbies on edge. But I like the idea: "slicing razors" and "chopping razors" seems pretty clear. And then with "chopping razors" you have the bar-guard type and the comb-guard type, and within those the adjustable and the non-adjustable. With "slicing razors" you have slants and diagonals. That seems to work.

I've only owned two, the Holy Black SR71, which I hated and immediately sold, and a vintage Hoffritz which was better but not great and mostly sat unused which violated my don't keep razors just for show policy and so it had to go as well. Slants are not great just because they're slants.

@jmudrick - Those two are both essentially the same head as the Merkur 37: the Hoffritz was made for Hoffritz by Merkur, and the SR-71 slant is a Merkur clone and for all I know is made by Merkur.

If you want to try something different, I would recommend the iKon X3, a slant, or the iKon 102, a diagonal. Both are slicing razors, but exceptionally comfortable on the face and very efficient.

@jmudrick - Those two are both essentially the same head as the Merkur 37: the Hoffritz was made for Hoffritz by Merkur, and the SR-71 slant is a Merkur clone and for all I know is made by Merkur.

If you want to try something different, I would recommend the iKon X3, a slant, or the iKon 102, a diagonal. Both are slicing razors, but exceptionally comfortable on the face and very efficient.
Thanks for the recommendation, always up for something new. I had nothing against the Hoffritz, just seemed to be a lot of other razors (mostly SE and injectors mind you) giving me better shaves. The SR71 I found ridiculously heavy for no good reason and had suspicions about build quality.

@jmudrick - There are some who really like a heavy razor. I find it is okay but some redundant, particularly for a slant. And I find the SR-71 handle feels (to me) stubby: too short for its diameter and weight. If it were 1/2" longer—or even 1/4" longer—I would like it better. The iKon X3 would probably be the better choice: some have said the 102 clogs (never for me) or that the optimal angle range is narrow. The X3 is particularly interest because for me it has no blade feel at all, yet is is extremely efficient.

That said, YMMV seems to infect razors along with everything else. But the X3 head by itself is not expensive, if you happen to have a spare handle. You might ask Connaught Shaving if they have the X3 head available by itself instead of as a complete razor.

@jmudrick - There are some who really like a heavy razor. I find it is okay but some redundant, particularly for a slant. And I find the SR-71 handle feels (to me) stubby: too short for its diameter and weight. If it were 1/2" longer—or even 1/4" longer—I would like it better. The iKon X3 would probably be the better choice: some have said the 102 clogs (never for me) or that the optimal angle range is narrow. The X3 is particularly interest because for me it has no blade feel at all, yet is is extremely efficient.

That said, YMMV seems to infect razors along with everything else. But the X3 head by itself is not expensive, if you happen to have a spare handle. You might ask Connaught Shaving if they have the X3 head available by itself instead of as a complete razor.
I'll put the X3 head on the lookout list. You're right about the SR71, more an issue of handling than weight itself, but I'll admit a bias against very heavy razors which don't work well for me as head shavers.

None of my conventional razors come close to the BBS shave I get every time with my 39c. This is truly a case of YMMV. I'd like to get another slant, but I've tried the S1 and wasn't impressed, so that leaves either the B1, 102, or X3. I should probably start a poll. :confused:

@riverrun - Just the look of them seems enough to get newbies on edge. But I like the idea: "slicing razors" and "chopping razors" seems pretty clear. And then with "chopping razors" you have the bar-guard type and the comb-guard type, and within those the adjustable and the non-adjustable. With "slicing razors" you have slants and diagonals. That seems to work.
Always happy to help native English speakers with a bit of linguistics :D
I'm not sure why bar-guard and comb-guard need to be restricted to "chopping razors". Just because there is no current example of an open comb "slicing razor"? Someone should make a handle based on this design from 1915:
parts.jpg

A handle with a ball and socket joint! The full patent is available ↪here.
Another interesting tiltable handle can found in ↪this (later) patent.
With those you could turn any three piece razor into a diagonal slant. I can't even see a reason why you couldn't put a ball and socket joint in the handle of an adjustable razor (like the Barbaros&Rocnel Adjustable). An adjustable twisted blade razor boggles the mind though...

I'm not sure why bar-guard and comb-guard need to be restricted to "chopping razors". Just because there is no current example of an open comb "slicing razor"?
Except that there are of course. The ATT S2 is an open comb slant, as is the PAA slant. Plenty more examples if you're willing to go vintage: Fasan, Valencia, Merkur, all East-German Fasan-derivatives.

Thanks for the ball-joint-grip-patent. I've two ball-joint razors, the Pacific shown here and a (possibly) French one. Both have a grip using the principle shown in the patent: basically any head can be placed on them.

Going slicing chopping etc is stretching it for me. Had I known the term chopping razor when I started using DE my face would have been ruined.

I promised I'd comment on my Razorock German 37 Slant head after I'd given it a fair trial, here it is.
It's a fairly cheap head (though watch out for import duty), and fits my Merkur long handle well. Now that I'm used to it it gives a very good shave with two passes and an excellent shave with three passes. I've used it for every shave since I got it. I still use my Supermax Super Platinum blades. My only observation is I get fewer shaves from them. better shaves but fewer of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom