I don't need one but ....

Am I missing the point here? The Asus is wi-fi enabled and/but does not have a USB port to accept a dongle. Which means an Asus can only connect to the internet in HotSpots?

Bechet45 said:
Am I missing the point here? The Asus is wi-fi enabled and/but does not have a USB port to accept a dongle. Which means an Asus can only connect to the internet in HotSpots?

You would/could tether from your smartphone to your tablet over wifi/Bluetooth.

Bechet45 said:

Do you mean you need a usb port for a mobile dongle if so maybe you should look at getting a tablet with 3g on it,just had a look at the asus in your link it say's it has a usb port...

I've been a longish (in tablet terms) user of a Wifi only tablet - used as mattyb suggests via my phone as a hotspot (or on a longer trip - both via the Mifi in my other pocket to save the battery on the phone... ultralight browsing via phone only)... last thing I need/want is a device with another mobile data SIM (either contract or PAYG) - why would I when I already have one? (well 2 - on different networks naturally)

Currently have a Nexus 7 (16GB) - because I simply don't keep stuff on there (I've had a 16GB tablet now for around 12 months and rarely have more than 0.5GB of stuff on there) - if I want to take it away with films/music on - I load it up from the mediastorage that is my server (running PS3MediaServer as uPnP/DLNA server)... via BubbleUPnP (as uPnP/DLNA control point/renderer) and what's more it happily streams to the RaspberryPi running RaspBMC (a port of XMBC running on the RasPi) as renderer (via HDMI to the TV)...

Top banana!

Dave.B said:
.....just had a look at the asus in your link it say's it has a usb port...

You are right, of course - I'd forgotten the docking station! Thanks!

mattyb and hunnymonster - let's not make bold assumptions about my phone! It is petit rather than smart!

Having Googled 'mifi', hunnymonster, I understood your first paragraph and a half and then was left at merely rcognising some of your terms - a bit like my French 'O' Level. But I think I caught your drift!

Between loading a tablet at home and using a PAYG dongle stuffed into the docking station as well a Hotspots, I should get by economically.

Two more questions have arisen in my mind: Am I right in thinking the email client is web-based? And: Am I right in thinking that one cannot load more software into these tablets, that one is limited to apps?

Boab said:
I will add the Microsoft Surface into the mix.

Ah! the flappy advert one! Been unable to find it till you told me its name! Gracias!
'Sa bit pricey for a machine that isn't predicted to see a lot of use - plus - I'm getting kinda hooked on a non-MS and non-Apple machine. Just for the sake of doing it differently, is all.

I went through all this just over a year ago, Carl.

I've tried out a lot and at present we have a Nexus 7 and an IPad 2 in the house.

I would say it depends what you want to use it for.

I use mine for playing games, reading and browsing the web. I wanted something with the largest marketplace and therefore went for an IPad. I've never regretted it.

My wife doesn't do much game playing but uses a lot more 'business type' apps, browses the web and reads emails. She is chuffed to bits with her Nexus.

So, in summary, whichever one you get probably won't be a bad choice (though I don't think I'd go for a Windows 8 tablet just yet).

Brianpilman said:
It's android based apps so I think you have about a third of the apps available compared to apple but I think it's growing as its only coding changes to alter an app to run on differing software

But then just how many fart apps do you need? :)

End of the day Carl - what do you want the tablet to do?

Android has a stock Gmail client and a stock email client - both of which work well - if you use Yahoo there's a specific Yahoo client etc... and naturally you can use the web interface too... and working maps ;)

The main purpose of the tablet - currently - is to teach me about tablets, which is happening already. After that, I just don't know where it will fit into my life and for what purpose - all I can imagine is the same as I use a computer for, only more mobile and 'with it'. I figure it will either take over my computing needs or spend its days in a cupboard - or keep me awake in bed.

The Asus Transformer fits the bill in many if not all respects - I'm even getting used to the price. A messenger bag takes care of transporting it about. Pay the bill on my 'toys credit card' on the 8th and then I reach decision time!

Dr Rick said:
Last time I looked (quite some time ago) the USB port didn't support dongles. Phone tethering is probably the way forward for true mobile use.

Last time I looked (quite some time ago) the USB port didn't support dongles. Phone tethering is probably the way forward for true mobile use.

Sorry, didn't quite catch that.... :icon_wink:

It kept saying it had failed to connect to the forum... Then refreshing the thread revealed it was all FILTHY LIES.

Then I tried to delete one of the triplicates and it killed all three.

I fuckin' love computers, me.

Did it again! But the other thread I posted in was fine. Weirdness.

In that case, Dr Rick, I shall take my phone along to the store - yes! I'm actually contemplating buying something in a store! - and see if it can be tethered to an Asus. This is starting to get very hip! Meantime, I'd best set the phone up for internet access - which it assures me it can do!

A bit later: This may help. Mine ins't listed, but it has to be worth a go.

Dr Rick said:
It kept saying it had failed to connect to the forum... Then refreshing the thread revealed it was all FILTHY LIES.

Then I tried to delete one of the triplicates and it killed all three.

I fuckin' love computers, me.

Did it again! But the other thread I posted in was fine. Weirdness.

I typed into Google "who threw the first ball in Wimbledon this year?" and it said server not found :icon_razz:

Here you go great value for money.

api7o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom